Harvey Bailey Handling Kit Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Harvey Bailey Handling Kit « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Carl Jones
New User
Username: carl888

Post Number: 44
Posted on Saturday, 11 July, 2020 - 21:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Curious if anyone has fitted such a unit. If so, were you pleased with the results?

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 685
Posted on Sunday, 12 July, 2020 - 07:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Carl a cheaper option is Bilstein shocks all round and the heavier Turbo R anti roll bar on the front. I have this on my 1975 Shadow1 and the handling is much improved. Also check and adjust the steering box backlash and make sure the damper oil level is correct.
Mark

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3738
Posted on Sunday, 12 July, 2020 - 08:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The standard heavy duty "colonial springs" fitted to Shadows delivered to Australia also help by reducing the "boulevarde ride" handling deficiencies arising from RRMC adopting a "soft" suspension for all Shadows primarily to suit the US market which was the prime target for this model.

The "colonial" springs were made from spring steel rod 1/8inch [3.125mm] greater in diameter than the standard specification and transformed the handling without significantly reducing the ride comfort.

Fitting the Turbo R front anti-roll bar is an automatic choice as it significantly improves steering response and reduces front end "roll" when fast steering response is required.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 626
Posted on Sunday, 12 July, 2020 - 09:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The factory applied a brush stroke of yellow paint generally near the bottom to indicate heavy duty.

A white or unmarked spring is regular duty.
Some actually have tags, but few survive.

Carl Jones
New User

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, 12 July, 2020 - 15:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks again for the replies. Expect quite a few of my annoying messages as I wade through #17415...

Mark, a friend has offered me a drive of his 1969 T with the Bilstein dampers from Flying Spares. I will try it and see what I think. As the dampers on my car are worn anyway, I'll be replacing them. The Turbo R front roll bar sounds like a good idea, thanks you. Do you also do the rear roll bar as well? Steering box noted, it's on my list.

David, my understanding is that the USA specification Shadows had unique softer spring rates to that market and that Australian cars had the same springs rates as the U.K. and European vehicles. Do you know what diameter these "Colonial" springs should be? Thanks again for the Turbo R front roll bar recommendation.

Robert, thanks for the note about the brush strokes on the spring. Here's an image of my rear spring, with a tag. No evidence of any paint on it.

https://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n281/carl308888/Bentley%20and%20Rolls%20Royce/Rolls%20Royce%20Silver%20Shadow%2017415/20200626_143853_zpslwznlrbn.jpg

David Gore

Post Number: 3739
Posted on Sunday, 12 July, 2020 - 17:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Carl,

The UK and European Shadows used the standard springs as fitted to the US cars - DRH14434 was afflicted with these springs being an import from the UK and not Australian-delivered. Circumstances intervened before this could be rectified as per my recommendation. Of course, the Brits had to denigrate our country by referring to us as a "colony" and not a nation which resulted in the "colonial" designation.

From memory, the "colonial" springs were 5/8inch diameter similar to the Harvey-Bailey after-market springs.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User

Post Number: 686
Posted on Sunday, 12 July, 2020 - 20:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Carl,The rear rollbar is unique to the Shadow and the only upgrade is the HB kit. The front seems to be the problem in that it is rather soft and whilst fine if you are just "wafting", is hardwork if you "push on" ! I used my Shadow as my daily driver for 11 years, mostly non motorway, and upgrading the shocks and front rollbar was a huge improvement.Still have the Shadow, now owned 22 years ,but now using a Mulsanne S daily.
Mark

Carl Jones
New User

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, 14 July, 2020 - 11:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Mark,

I've had a look around, I can't find the Turbo-R front roll bar anywhere. The HB kit is not available roll bar only, so spending 1,266 pounds for two roll bars seems silly if I already have the "Colonial" springs. I do need to determine what springs are fitted to my car first.

Is there anyone in Melbourne that could loan me a Turbo R front roll bar? If so, I'd just need it for a day to take some measurements and check the steel (Non invasively). I'd be happy to make a run of them along with a stiffer rear bar if anyone is interested. Failing that, can anyone give me the width of the Turbo-R front roll bar?

Thanks for the tip with the Bilsteins. I also have a Mulsanne S, a 1989 model.

David Gore

Post Number: 3740
Posted on Tuesday, 14 July, 2020 - 16:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Carl,

My choice would be austempered SAE 6150 spring steel [the same steel and heat treatment used in the classic Sidchrome spanners].

A speciality after-market spring manufacturer such as Lovell Springs or K-Mac should have the necessary information on file for the Bentley Turbo R front anti-roll bar to custom-make a suitable equivalent:

https://www.lovellsauto.com.au/

K-Mac:

https://www.k-mac-camber-kits.com/Catalogs/Anti-Sway-Bars.pdf

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User

Post Number: 687
Posted on Tuesday, 14 July, 2020 - 21:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Carl, I guess carriage duty etc is prohibitive. but FS may be worth a try and Carl at Westminster http://westminsterautospares.co.uk/ has broken several 20,000 series cars recently. You will need the rollbar to subframe bushes and brackets also.
Mark

Carl Jones
Experienced User

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, 15 July, 2020 - 20:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks David and Mark for the information, I'll let you know how I get on. CJ

P. Eng. Pierre Linh Raoul
New User
Username: thrasher

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, 15 July, 2020 - 23:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

question: wasn't the T2 originally equipped with that kit?

Glen Poolen
Frequent User
Username: wgipps

Post Number: 251
Posted on Thursday, 16 July, 2020 - 09:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chapmans in Melbourne promote some sort of suspension upgrade. I dont know them, never used them so im not recommending them - but it is on their webpage.
https://www.rachapmanautomotive.com.au/

David Gore

Post Number: 3743
Posted on Thursday, 16 July, 2020 - 09:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not that I am aware - it was a standard fitment on the high performance Turbo R for obvious reasons.

Carl Jones
Experienced User

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, 19 July, 2020 - 20:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Glen,

I think the Chapman set up is the HB version.

Anyway, I managed to secure a Turbo R front roll bar and associated linkages from Flying Spares. I'll keep you posted with progress.

Carl Jones
Experienced User

Post Number: 68
Posted on Saturday, 22 August, 2020 - 13:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Turbo R front bar and associated hardware has arrived. Good news.

I chanced across this Rolls Royce Motor Cars Brochure from 1988, TSD 4932.

Whilst it doesn't say what it is, the line drawing suggests springs, dampers and bars front and rear:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/n281/carl308888/new_suspension_package_1_000022.jpg

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/n281/carl308888/new_suspension_package_2.jpg

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/n281/carl308888/new_suspension_package_3.jpg

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/n281/carl308888/new_suspension_package_4.jpg

gordon le feuvre
Frequent User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 358
Posted on Monday, 24 August, 2020 - 23:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just to muddy water, R-R bought out their own handling kit for Shadows in early eighties based on HB kit!! Can't remember part no., but think it was RH????
We only fitted one to Shadow 11, that i eventually owned (SRH41033) Did stop some roll!

David Gore

Post Number: 3764
Posted on Tuesday, 25 August, 2020 - 08:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To save time, here are the images in Carl's post above - took me less than 3 minutes to download, resize with Photoshop and post:

Carl Jones
Experienced User

Post Number: 75
Posted on Tuesday, 25 August, 2020 - 16:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David,

Thanks for posting the images. Unfortunately I still can't post images yet, so I'll continue to post links.

Carl Jones
Experienced User

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, 25 August, 2020 - 16:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I took some suspension measurements from SRH 17415 today and they are:

Front spring diameter:
17.6mm
11/16"

Front anti roll bar:
28.4mm
1 1/8"

Rear spring diameter:
17.0mm
43/64"

Rear anti roll bar:
19.2mm
3/4"

Turbo R front anti roll bar:
31.6mm
1 1/4"

I am very curious about this "Colonial Springs" fitment.

Can anyone with a UK car confirm their spring thickness? Certainly my springs have no paint stripe/marking and nor does this spring fitment appear in the build sheets of my car. Additionally, I see no evidence of their existence in the parts book.....

Carl Jones
Experienced User

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, 25 August, 2020 - 17:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I removed one of the tags from the rear springs and attempted to decipher the writing:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/n281/carl308888/L_0141.JPG

I read the numbers in the middle as:

200 / LBS / 1"

The writing at the top I cannot decipher, perhaps "Rear" or "Rate"

The other side of tag, two images:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/n281/carl308888/L_0146.JPG

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/n281/carl308888/L_0147.JPG

I cannot read the writing as such top and bottom. Even illuminated with a point source light, diffused or backlit under an 8 X lupe, I could not read it. The numbers in the middle and above I could however:

1,200 LBS

Carl Jones
Experienced User

Post Number: 78
Posted on Tuesday, 25 August, 2020 - 17:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, after all that, I decided just now to look at TSD2934:

https://heritage.bentleymotors.com/en/technical-library/download/TSD2934.pdf

If you scroll to page 143, you'll notice the reference that cars beginning 15410 for markets Australia and New Zealand have standard suspension.

Had I read that in the first place................

Carl Jones
Experienced User

Post Number: 79
Posted on Tuesday, 25 August, 2020 - 18:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here's the front suspension parts reference:

https://heritage.bentleymotors.com/en/partNumberSearch/partCatalogue/7863?partId=55715&vehicleId=198&cookieAccept=0

The parts book does not refer to the "Colonial Suspension" but rather; "Heavy Duty Suspension"

The cars fitted with heavy duty suspension are not fitted with a rear anti roll bar. That seems like the easiest way to tell what's fitted.

David Gore

Post Number: 3765
Posted on Tuesday, 25 August, 2020 - 19:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Carl,

I have Photoshopped your images as below:

Carl Jones
Experienced User

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, 08 September, 2020 - 12:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks David,

CJ

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: