Driveshaft question Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Driveshaft question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2209
Posted on Wednesday, 27 May, 2020 - 11:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have just replaced a split boot on the right driveshaft of SRX18501. When I was filling it with 150 mil of oil, about 5 mils leaked out of what appears to be an oilway at the end of the output shaft. Is this a design feature to prevent over filling of the halfshaft or have I got a problem here. If this had ocurred with the driveshaft in situ the small amount of oil would have just drained into the diff unit unnoticed. The arrow in the second pic points to where the oil leaked out.

a

b

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 619
Posted on Wednesday, 27 May, 2020 - 12:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It's designed that way. If the boot cracks and loses lubricant, there will be some weeping thru.

I'm doing another one in a week.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 620
Posted on Wednesday, 27 May, 2020 - 12:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

PS.. lube the universal joint after it is installed into the axle yoke. If you removed them, make sure the Zerk fitting is accessible.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 2210
Posted on Wednesday, 27 May, 2020 - 13:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many thanks Robert. That explains it.

Geoff

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 2211
Posted on Friday, 29 May, 2020 - 05:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Does anyone know the torque specs for the four driveshaft bolts at the universal joint end and the 6 nuts at the trunnion end. I've checked out chapter P (torque specs) in the workshop manual and they are not listed. Nor are they listed in the section on the driveshafts.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 621
Posted on Friday, 29 May, 2020 - 07:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff the output shaft flange and the saddle bolts...as needed. There is no pressure, heavy forces, etc.
Also, the bolt diameter will have a certain safe range before overtightening will stretch the fastener, hence "tighten as needed"

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3706
Posted on Friday, 29 May, 2020 - 09:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert,

In the Shadow Workshop Manual TSD2476, the tightening torques for all fasteners are detailed.

Those requiring specific torque values are individually listed and there is also a table of standard torque values for the various general purpose fasteners.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 2212
Posted on Friday, 29 May, 2020 - 09:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks again Robert. You are a true expert. Hope the restoration of LRE23114 is going well.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 622
Posted on Friday, 29 May, 2020 - 11:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David, well aware of it's existence and refer to it regularly.

The Shadow is now in a working primer and glaze process.Applying hi-build primer on most panels by end of the weekend. More board sanding and blocking, then sealer and color coat.
Also restoring all stainless when I want a diversion.
Should be done by July 1

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 2213
Posted on Friday, 29 May, 2020 - 12:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David - we posted at the same time. Yes, I referred to section P but the individual torque settings were not listed. Robert's reply of "tighten as needed" confirmed to me a precise torque value was not required. In the event I will probably torque the 5/8 AF bolts to 30-35 ft/lbs and nip up the nuts by feel.

Robert - Great progress - I look forward to the pics.

Jim Walters
Frequent User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 311
Posted on Friday, 29 May, 2020 - 13:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff, TSD 2719 states the torque for 7/16 diameter 5/8 AF nuts and setscrews as 42 - 45 lb. ft.
3/8 diameter 9/16 AF 29 - 32 lb. ft.
5/16 diameter 1/2 AF 16 - 18 lb. ft.
On all, if they are cadmium plated, then dry with no lube. Non plated parts are to be smeared with engine oil before torquing according to TSD 2719.

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 2214
Posted on Friday, 29 May, 2020 - 14:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Jim - 42 it is.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: