Why is it so,....? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Why is it so,....? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Graham Phillips
Frequent User
Username: playtime

Post Number: 258
Posted on Sunday, 03 May, 2020 - 09:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well yesterday I collected Camilla with her replaced alternator.

Everything works great again.

Went and picked up a new set of plug leads, dizzy cap, and rotor button.

I now have a job for next weekend.

On the way home I stopped at my sisters and got held up there until after dark.

So when I left at 19:30hrs with headlights on,.....

Hmmm,.....

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 259
Posted on Sunday, 03 May, 2020 - 09:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXlhsDC7144

Graham.

John Kilkenny
Frequent User
Username: john_kilkenny

Post Number: 319
Posted on Sunday, 03 May, 2020 - 10:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham,
Maybe you didn't need a new alternator. It could be a faulty control. Take Camilla back to whoever fitted the alternator.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 260
Posted on Sunday, 03 May, 2020 - 11:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

John, I did need a new alternator as the original internals self destructed.

Then its replacement did the same weeks later.

This one is the replacements replacement under warranty.

The day started with everything charging nicely.

The system was tested under load.

I did e-mail the guy who did the work last night and he tells me it should be fine if the 'Gen' light isn't on.

But it dose'nt look right to me with the AMP gauge in discharge as its not done that before when it was running right.

When you say 'control' are you referring to the voltage regulator?

Graham.

Richard Greene
Frequent User
Username: benzjag

Post Number: 203
Posted on Sunday, 03 May, 2020 - 11:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Simple with this one. Put your voltage tester leads onto the battery terminals. With the car running, it should show 13.4+ if the alternator is functioning correctly. It will answer a lot of doubt!

Richard

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 261
Posted on Sunday, 03 May, 2020 - 11:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Richard, I agree and its supposed to be doing just that.

And if so, why is the AMP gauge showing discharge?

Its not matching whats going on if so...

Graham.

Richard Greene
Frequent User
Username: benzjag

Post Number: 204
Posted on Sunday, 03 May, 2020 - 11:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Have you verified the alternator is not producing 13.4?

I've never had the gauges not reading correctly on my Shadows. I did have some issues with a poor ground on the Jaguars though.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 262
Posted on Sunday, 03 May, 2020 - 11:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

I personally have not yet checked the voltage at the battery terminals but will later as I need to move Camilla back into the workshop.

But to date I have had zero reason to believe the gauges are inaccurate.

So far in fact they have proven very accurate.

This is why this isn't making any sense to me.

Graham.

John Kilkenny
Frequent User

Post Number: 321
Posted on Sunday, 03 May, 2020 - 11:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham,
Yes, the voltage regulator.
I'm surprised that no additional investigation was done before the initial replacement alternator was replaced.
When you first switch on the ignition the GEN light should come on .
If it doesn't the regulator is probably faulty.
John

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 263
Posted on Sunday, 03 May, 2020 - 11:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Well I'm gonna make a cup O tea, then go move Camilla back into the workshop.

Then I'll test the voltage at the battery terminals,...

I'll report back in an hour.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 264
Posted on Sunday, 03 May, 2020 - 14:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Sorry but I thought the camera was recording when I started Camilla from dead cold. Stupid camera!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YXERiLKj9Q&feature=youtu.be

Graham.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 2006
Posted on Sunday, 03 May, 2020 - 15:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This may not be the solution but let me share an experience I had with my 1996 Azure.
I rebuilt the alternator 3 times. 2 of the times resulted in low charge rates with a new diode pack and brushes and all internals.
On the third rebuild I bought a different diode pack (also known as a rectifier). This time I bought a 200 amp unit. After fitting this unit, the alternator behaved beautifully.

The story above is not meant to guide you towards buying a 200 amp rectifier, the idea behind the story is for you to ask the chap who rebuilt it whether
he had used the right rating rectifier and regulator because there are many components that all look identical on the bench but their performance will be different.

For the record, here is the 200amp regulator I used

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_nkw=RECTIFIER%20Fits%20on%20Delco%20CS144%20Series%20Hi-Output%20200A%20Conversion%20Alternator&ssPageName=GSTL

Omar, I changed your link to a more concise link to avoid having to scroll across the page to read this thread.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2298
Posted on Sunday, 03 May, 2020 - 21:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

First I would charge the battery to 14.2 volts or close to it, then carry out your test as you have done.
If still showing what you have shown then check the idle speed 600RPM idling.
If ok check the correct size pully is fitted to the alternator.
Then maybe the regulator.

Hubert Kelly
Frequent User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 386
Posted on Sunday, 03 May, 2020 - 22:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham,I assume the belts are not to tight?.
Sorry to hear this problem is on going

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3688
Posted on Monday, 04 May, 2020 - 08:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham,

I suspect a faulty regulator, jammed brushes, faulty stator or faulty stator diode.

Further, testing at idle speed is not ideal; the tests are best taken with the engine at 3000rpm to ensure the alternator is turning fast enough to generate both voltage and current.

The first thing I would do is get a hammer and a length of timber and gently tap the body of the alternator whilst the engine is running at 3000rpm to see if this will free the stator brushes.

I hope you have seen the following section from TSD2476 which details how to test the CAV alternator.

application/pdfalternator testing
Alternator & Regulator Servicing.pdf (1112.7 k)

P.S. I assume you have already downloaded the High Resolution version of TSD2476 from the Technical Library.

http://rrtechnical.info/sy/tsd2476/tsd2476hires.htm

John Kilkenny
Frequent User

Post Number: 322
Posted on Monday, 04 May, 2020 - 10:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham,
Looking at your video, I think it shows normal alternator performance with maybe a slightly low idle speed.

Run through the same process again with the engine on fast idle and see if the alternator output increases.

Until proven otherwise you should assume that the new alternator is OK and any fault is somewhere else.

It is still puzzling as to why two alternators failed. Were they repairable ?
John

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 265
Posted on Monday, 04 May, 2020 - 14:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

John: The original that was in it when I bought it had its internals self destruct and chew themselves to bits.

Its replacement started to do the same only weeks after it was installed.

This one is the replacements replacement (under warranty).

But what gets me is the alternator I was loaned (Tony's shop alternator) worked perfect just like the original did until that fateful night.

The AMP gauge would never go into discharge even at idle with the high beam lights on.

Now all of a sudden this has sprung up the very day I got Camilla back.

I think I have a gremlin,....

Graham.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2299
Posted on Monday, 04 May, 2020 - 20:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Have know a belt not gripping enough!!!
A fully charged good battery and with just the engine running one should have a voltage showing of about 14 volts. max 14.2.
David with a jammed brush you would never get to 13 volts can't see that, do explain.

David Gore

Post Number: 3689
Posted on Monday, 04 May, 2020 - 20:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Gremlins work in mysterious ways which sometime defy explanation.

One look is always worth a thousand words of conjecture.

I would not be surprised if the voltage variations are associated with the tests being done at idle speed and not at a higher engine speed consistent with the vehicle being driven.

John Kilkenny
Frequent User

Post Number: 325
Posted on Monday, 04 May, 2020 - 21:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For two alternators to “chew themselves to bits” as you say, I would agree with Hubert that the cause is likely to be a too-tight belt bending the shaft and collapsing the bearing. An auto electrician should check this as soon as possible.

The issue of the Ammeter going into discharge when the engine is idling and all lights and fans are on is not unusual. This also could happen if the new alternator is not original. Mine does it although it is a very early model (SRH 1405)

Below is a description of the Alternator circuit. Note the ability to increase the alternator output voltage.

C.A.V. Alternator and Control Unit

The first alternator fitted to the Shadow was the Lucas 11 AC with a maximum output of 45 Amps, controlled by the Lucas 4 TR Control Unit.
Later cars used the C.A.V Model 5/12 Alternator with a maximum output of 55 Amps in conjunction with the C.A.V 440 Control Unit.
Charging rate adjustment is provided by connecting the battery positive terminal to one of three inputs on the Control Unit, depending on whether the expected load is low (L), medium (M) or high (H). The additional resistors provided by the M and H inputs will reduce the control voltage on the base of the first transistor, which in turn will increase the field current and alternator output voltage.
Unlike the Lucas system, the C.A.V. warning light is dependent on the operation of the control unit.
If the warning light does not come on when the ignition is switched on, this generally indicates a faulty control unit.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 266
Posted on Tuesday, 05 May, 2020 - 13:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

If you watch the first Vid (Amps) you will see I am driving at 90kph and the fan is on LOW and with high beam lights on the AMP gauge go's down to just a hair above 1/3rd into discharge while driving.

The second Vid (Volts) I did the next morning in daylight and that was at idle with the same results,.....

I now have new dizzy cap- rotor button- plug leads and spark plugs.

When I install them I'll reset the base idle and go from there.

Graham.

Martin Taylor
Experienced User
Username: martin_taylor

Post Number: 183
Posted on Tuesday, 05 May, 2020 - 19:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham, your alternator is most likely charging ok when not loaded, however when the lights are on etc the output is not keeping up with the demand, as it doesn’t appear to be overcharging I would say the regulator is probably ok, the usual causes of such failure would be one phase or winding disconnected from the rectifier or one or more diodes not conducting when forward biased (open circuit) a scope on the output would probably show a choppy wave, your gauges are accurate and telling you what is occurring, possible causes other than the alternator could be a loose connection at the alternator or where it connects to the starter or a loose belt etc.
Check the jockey wheel on the two short belts is tight etc

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2300
Posted on Friday, 08 May, 2020 - 05:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not used for years, time to do a few checks to see
if my memory is still ok!

Car battery charged up 14.3v with floating the cells.

check with volt meter

idle dropped to 500 RPM A/C Headlights turned on
surprise discharge showing 10 amps!

Engine stopped for a short while and then started with no lights or a/c and run at about 2000 rpm.
charging for a short while at 40amps then settling at 0.

Adjust the idle speed back to 600 rpm no neg discharge.

Regarding the self destruct of alternator it points to what Humbert K has said Belt over tightened.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2302
Posted on Friday, 08 May, 2020 - 06:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The important one is missing the top of the amp meter so this is a darker clearer one.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 267
Posted on Friday, 08 May, 2020 - 13:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,.....

When I say they self destructed it was physical self destruction.

The brushes were torn up and even the holder was ground down.

Neither was due to over tight belts.

At the time I kicked myself for NOT taking pics but was distracted by our conversation at the time I was shown the mess.

Patrick: did you measure the voltage at the battery terminals when the AMP meter was in discharge?

Graham.

gordon le feuvre
Frequent User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 346
Posted on Friday, 08 May, 2020 - 14:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Follow Richard Greene, so simple but effective!!!!!

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2303
Posted on Friday, 08 May, 2020 - 19:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham, yes at discharge with idle set at 500 RPM with lights and a/c on the battery voltage was falling to 12.8 and more.

Revs at idle 600 RPM gauge showing no discharge and battery volts 13.8.
Rev the engine and a increase of amps showing and dropping back to zero, battery showing 14 volts.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2304
Posted on Saturday, 09 May, 2020 - 23:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thought I would run the battery low and check that the alternator output was ok, snapshot is within the first few seconds of start up, RPM at 2500 this proves many things including the diodes are ok.

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 1392
Posted on Sunday, 10 May, 2020 - 06:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick L,

You are lucky to have that quad gauge thing. I don't have an ammeter or an oil pressure gauge I think I just have coolant temp and fuel level, oil and gen are indicator lights.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2306
Posted on Sunday, 10 May, 2020 - 06:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross that's why I dug the Shadow 2 out so I could show what is normal with the charging system.

My Shadow 1 is the same as yours with coolant low sensor light.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1393
Posted on Sunday, 10 May, 2020 - 13:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Fongio only needed a tach, oil pressure and water temp.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 270
Posted on Sunday, 10 May, 2020 - 21:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqFni58Dt-Q

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 271
Posted on Thursday, 14 May, 2020 - 23:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,......

Curious question,....

Why do the cigar lighters not have the means to stay locked down until they heat up enough?

I was thinking about this when I was thinking of plugging in my GPS into the socket to power it, or any other device.

Graham.

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 236
Posted on Friday, 15 May, 2020 - 17:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Why do the cigar lighters not have the means to stay locked down until they heat up enough?

...but they do - if they are working correctly.
At least they do on all the cars I have ever owned but I have not tried the 'T' lighters because I gave up smoking in 1980.

Alan D.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 628
Posted on Saturday, 16 May, 2020 - 05:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My cigar lighters work fine in the Silver Shadow 11. Have you tried one of the lighters in the rear doors to test whether it's the lighter insert or the socket that's at fault?

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User

Post Number: 630
Posted on Sunday, 17 May, 2020 - 09:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Graham, Your new rotor button (generally referred to as rotor arm in my neck of the woods) appears to be an aftermarket part that has a rivet securing the contact arm and according to what I've been told the rivet type is less serviceable than the original old part you took out. Apparently the rivet can become loose and allow the arm to fluctuate. There's reportedly a much better quality rotor arm made by a company called "Distributor Doctor" which is highly recommended for the Silver Shadow. I have no affiliation or connection with Distributor Doctor but other owners praise the quality and reliability of their rotor arms, I intend to purchase two from them in the near future (one for my Silver Shadow 11 and the other for my Triumph Stag which coincidentally uses the exact same part).

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 272
Posted on Monday, 18 May, 2020 - 13:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well I had a close look at my cigar lighters yesterday,...

Both rear door lighters do hold down but not long enough to allow the lighter to heat up enough, might have to bend the prongs in just a tad more.

The front one has the prongs bent the wrong way hence there is nothing holding the lighter itself.

I'll have to bend those in the right direction.

Graham.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2311
Posted on Wednesday, 20 May, 2020 - 18:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham is the HT lead change going OK ? or are you giving up on that job.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 274
Posted on Thursday, 21 May, 2020 - 13:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Still going to change the plug leads and plugs, just ran out of time the other weekend.

I should get it done this weekend.

Looks like there is a few bits and pieces I need to remove to get this job done.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 275
Posted on Tuesday, 26 May, 2020 - 15:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well last night,... er,.. this morning at the best time to buy stuff on off the net 01:30

I bought 2 CAV 440 voltage regulators from the UK 50GBP for both to my door.

Just in case.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 277
Posted on Saturday, 06 June, 2020 - 23:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,.....

Well today was productive,...

I got to take the air intake off in an attempt to replace the plugs and leads,...

In doing so I find when I pull the air filter out entirely I find somebody has used 2 smaller air filters pressed together to make up a single filter,....

I now have to get a PROPER replacement!

Also, where he two air ducts are joined together there is this odd piece,...

Now this is so thick to me this is a restriction, is this on all Shadows?

And also confirmed Camilla dose have a CAV 440 regulator so if it turns out I have a problem with this one I think I did well to get those two I found not long ago.

Anyway, I am also going to have to replace the new plug leads as I have been given the wrong ones.

The ends are threaded and screw in at the dizzy end and at the plug end the plug cover is too long, mine have the short covers.

So more delays,....

Graham.

Jeff Young
Frequent User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 432
Posted on Saturday, 06 June, 2020 - 23:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The odd piece is normal: it's a silencer to quiet the intake.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 278
Posted on Sunday, 07 June, 2020 - 19:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Thanks for that info Jeff.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 281
Posted on Wednesday, 10 June, 2020 - 15:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Just spent $240.00 on a Bosh 750CCA Battery for Camilla.

Graham.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1413
Posted on Thursday, 11 June, 2020 - 22:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham,

Have you looked into geared starters At all? They give the engine a very fast crank speed with less voltage drop to the coil.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 282
Posted on Friday, 12 June, 2020 - 15:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

If I remember correctly I think it has one installed as the starter was replaced by I think it was the second last custodian.

There is a notation made in her records,....

Tomorrow I am going to collect Camilla's correct plug leads and a full set of fuel filters plus a correct air filter, those dodgy ones that were in her make me nervous.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 287
Posted on Monday, 22 June, 2020 - 16:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Ok, around the start of the month I ordered 5 blank master keys for Camilla from Flying Spares.

All good.

Was sent couple days later.

Just got notice from shipper of intended delivery with tracking #.

SO whats the problem you ask?

Looking at the detailed tracking its been half way around the world.

Started in the UK> Kohlen Germany> Roissy Charles de Gaulle, France> Philadelphia, PA, United States> Louisville, KY, United States> Honolulu, HI, United States> 22/06/2020 4:08 P.M. Botany, Australia Arrived.

Geez, what a trip, and it still has to get down to Melbourne yet. ETA is delivery on Thursday.

I hope I'm not paying for the mileage!??

Graham.

David Gore

Post Number: 3722
Posted on Monday, 22 June, 2020 - 19:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham,

I am 100% certain this delivery route was the outcome of the global disruption of airline schedules including air freight.

Finding the fastest way to make a delivery asap to the other side of the world would not be the easiest thing to do right now.

I would not be surprised if it takes longer to get from Sydney to Melbourne than it did to get from the UK to Australia the long way round!!

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 290
Posted on Thursday, 25 June, 2020 - 16:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well last night when I got home from work I had a card stuck in the door telling me a delivery had been attempted.

Yup, it was the master keys, so this morning I dropped into the post office and collected my parcel.

I now have the master keys and will get one cut this Sat.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 291
Posted on Sunday, 28 June, 2020 - 18:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well today I got the master key cut and it works great!

Odd thing is after about 100+klms of going from one chain store to another to get the key cut everywhere I go tell me the same thing:

"sorry but we can't cut a key with a blank we did'nt supply!"

Are you kidding me!??

And where did I get it cut in the end,...?

2 mins down the road from my place at a family owned a run hardware store.

Also today I got around to removing the plugs from the 'A' bank.

And this is the plug from A4.

Are you kidding me!??

How was she running with a plug like this?

The rest were like this:

I'm replacing them with these,...

When I was putting the new plugs in they tensioned up but then let go just like the thread stripped,...

Then they tighten up again,...

They did this several times, I had to keep taking them back out to see if I had stripped any threads.

I'm still not feeling comfortable about them but they are in and nipped up.

I just have the 'B' bank to do and the plug leads.

Still can't see how to get the leads out.

Oh, and all work was fully supervised!

Graham.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2330
Posted on Sunday, 28 June, 2020 - 20:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When I was putting the new plugs in they tensioned up but then let go just like the thread stripped,...
Then they tighten up again,...

Maybe they have been cross threaded sometime.

Plugs look like running rich or valve seals failing!

Has a ohms check been carried out on the plug leads, they may not need changing going by the look of the plugs.

Hubert Kelly
Frequent User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 396
Posted on Sunday, 28 June, 2020 - 20:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham if the worst looking plug came from a different to access area, this might explain same, ie it was ignored for some time ...while the rest were renewed. It's just a hypothesis..

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1438
Posted on Sunday, 28 June, 2020 - 21:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham,

I would make sure you have the correct plugs. most are 14mm which I think the RR are, but measure yours.

If they truly tightened up, then got loose when tightening something is wrong.

Did they tension up when partially inserted then let go tightening when fully inserted

or

Did they tension up when fully inserted then let go

The first is probably nothing, the latter is problems.

What did the plug holes look like? The plug hole will be damaged first because it's AL.

Blowing a plug out isn't a big problem, but it will put you on the side of the road.

Those plugs were pretty covered. I'd pull the new set back out in 50 miles to see what they look like.

Good luck

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 292
Posted on Monday, 29 June, 2020 - 15:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

I did pull the plugs out to make sure I hadn't stripped any threads, I'm thinking it may just have been some dried carbon crud in the threads creating a tight spot.

I might take them out once more and give the threads a squirt with WD-40.

My brain seems to go straight to the worst case scenario.

Graham.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 624
Posted on Monday, 29 June, 2020 - 21:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Use anti-seize on the threads. WD-40 will not protect the threads from binding under the heat.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 294
Posted on Sunday, 05 July, 2020 - 19:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Had a few spare moments today so I pulled all the plugs in 'A' bank again, this time I wet the plug threads with WD-40 like I do on all the vehicles I work on and just like all the others this time they went in smooth as silk.

Tensioned up real nice.

Now I'm happy.

Of course, now I gotta do the 'B' bank,...

Geez that looks cramped on that side.

Graham.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User

Post Number: 645
Posted on Monday, 06 July, 2020 - 04:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sometimes it helps in inaccessible areas if you place a length of suitably sized hose over the ceramic part of the spark plug and screw it in by hand that way, then nip up tight with a plug spanner. A small dab of copper grease on the plug threads helps too and will make it easier to unscrew them next time.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 295
Posted on Monday, 06 July, 2020 - 15:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

I could screw the plugs in by hand they went in so smooth.

Then it was just a case of tension them with a ratchet and plug socket.

I've never had a problem removing a plug I have used WD-40 on and yes I do know its not an anti-seize compound.

'B' bank looks a little daunting with all the tight spaces,....

Graham.

Alan Dibley
Frequent User

Post Number: 242
Posted on Monday, 06 July, 2020 - 17:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"B' bank looks a little daunting with all the tight spaces,...."

It is so tight that when I came to putting the plugs back I could not be sure that one plug was not going in cross-threaded, so in desperation I removed the reservoir - a job not undertaken lightly. This meant cutting two of the pipes because there is no other way. They were rejoined with two short rubber tubes - there is no pressure in that area.

Of course, when the area was clear the plug went in with no problem. Sigh.

Alan D.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 625
Posted on Monday, 06 July, 2020 - 21:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

use a short rubber hose on the plug to start it, placing the plug in the socket and attempting to screw it in "square" will lead you down the road to a cross threading scenario.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2335
Posted on Monday, 06 July, 2020 - 23:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I use a 1/4 drive extension and swivel joint to start the difficult plugs.

No carbon build up with LPG.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 296
Posted on Tuesday, 07 July, 2020 - 21:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Have any of you had any trouble getting the plug leads out?

I'm thinking of that junction at the back where all the leads from a bank all come together before going to the Dizzy.

Graham.

Robert Harris-Mayes
New User
Username: robertcothi

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, 08 July, 2020 - 01:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham

The fitting at the back of Bank "A" is very difficult. At the back of Bank "B" it is worse! I have just done exactly this on my shadow1 SRH12338. It took me two afternoons until I realised that Bank "B" is more easily done from the RHS of the car with long arms. Use a small 1/2 inch AF socket with a 1/4 inch drive. Remove the bracket and then disentangle the cable.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 297
Posted on Wednesday, 08 July, 2020 - 16:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Thanks Robert.

What size socket?

Graham.

Robert Harris-Mayes
New User
Username: robertcothi

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, 08 July, 2020 - 18:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham
1/2 inch AF socket to get it started. You may need an open jaw spanner as it undoes as the space is very limited

Good luck

Robert

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1442
Posted on Wednesday, 08 July, 2020 - 23:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham,

I was just looking back at your plug pictures. They really look dark like overly rich dark. Might be worth checking that.

Keeping the carbs in tune not only saves you fuel and gains you performance, it makes plug changes fewer and farther between.

Maybe the previous owner did a lot of really short trips.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 684
Posted on Thursday, 09 July, 2020 - 07:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have had plug fouling issues with my S1 and my Shadow1 when they have been shunted about repeatedly, but not given a run ( Italian Tune Up !) The use of GR4IX plugs solved the problem and they self clean when driven briskly, well. My Shadow1 idles at 500rpm, 2% co. Oil consumption is about 800 miles per pint. 150 k miles on the clock.
Mark

Alan Dibley
Frequent User

Post Number: 243
Posted on Friday, 10 July, 2020 - 08:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Since the topic came up I have just worked out that I changed my first spark plug 67 years ago.

Sigh.

Alan D.

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 679
Posted on Friday, 10 July, 2020 - 18:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Alan , you beat me I changed my first plug 50 years ago sigh.
hi Mark love the phrase Italian tune up lol
Cheers
Mike

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: