Brake Lights (1975 Shadow RHD) Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Brake Lights (1975 Shadow RHD) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Greene
Experienced User
Username: benzjag

Post Number: 186
Posted on Sunday, 23 February, 2020 - 07:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The brake lights on my 75 Shadow RHD stay on until I manually pull up the brake pedal about 1/2 inch. The brakes are fine. I am away from the shop and can't look at it.

Any ideas?

THANKS!

Richard

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3012
Posted on Sunday, 23 February, 2020 - 10:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

Isn't the brake pedal returned to "resting position" using springs in the rat trap?

I'd look there first to see if one has broken or if they're just "getting aged."

Brian

Richard Greene
Experienced User
Username: benzjag

Post Number: 187
Posted on Sunday, 23 February, 2020 - 11:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,

I'm sure you are right. I was thinking the same, but will be away from the car for a few weeks and wanted to be sure!

A friend just bought a 80 Wraith from Richmond. I thought about you!

Richard

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2189
Posted on Sunday, 23 February, 2020 - 11:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If the two springs are ok and just a bit tired, you could adjust the brake light switch.

In the pic below the red arrow points to one of the return springs, the other being on the adjacent side of the rat trap and out of view.

The yellow arrow points to the brake light switch. Yours appears to be ok, as the lights are on, so it's probably just a case of adjusting the gap between the switch plunger and the eccentric adjuster.

Note that on my car some idiot previous owner had used a bolt in place of the adjuster. Needless to say the bolt has now been replaced with the correct part, which was just a few dollars from FS. I forgot to take a pic after I'd corrected the bodge.

There is plenty of info in section G15 of the workshop manual.

bls

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: