Coolant drain plugs - Reason to remov... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Coolant drain plugs - Reason to remove at each coolant change. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Prolific User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1676
Posted on Wednesday, 29 January, 2020 - 20:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Other custodians have mentioned in the thread on core plugs removal that they have not removed the drain plugs from the cylinder block when performing a coolant change.

I will be removing my drain plugs though I understand the reasons behind some deciding not to.

The Camargue's engine showed zero evidence of corrosion anywhere in the block. Nothing beyond any of the six core plugs and nothing even down the hole going straight up to the cylinder liner behind the large side engine core plugs - crystal clean in fact.

On seeing the discussion about the drain plugs I removed mine. Both appear to be stainless and both of them have a blind hole on the inside. This hole faces upwards and make perfect traps to collect any corrosive type evidence from the cooling system.

Both of my drain plugs were full of this muck.

Could it be that the RR engineers designed the drain plugs that way to be tests of corrosion?
Or is it mere coincidence?

(Message approved by david_gore)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: