Brake Light Switch (79 Shadow II)... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Brake Light Switch (79 Shadow II) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Greene
Experienced User
Username: benzjag

Post Number: 169
Posted on Tuesday, 10 September, 2019 - 04:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I need a brake light switch for a 79 Shadow II (pic). My contacts say it is "no longer available". I order a universal switch but the problem is the "plunger" on/off is opposite to the original in that when "on", the plunger is in (and not out). Any known subsitutes?

Thanks.

Richard

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 537
Posted on Tuesday, 10 September, 2019 - 07:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's a normally open switch. Made by Burgess and has a 25a rating. It's heavy duty.
https://www.access-electrical.co.uk/shop/view/-6152

I'm sure there are plenty floating around from the breakers and on eBay.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2965
Posted on Tuesday, 10 September, 2019 - 09:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

Have you tested this switch yourself using a multimeter? That's the first thing you should do before even considering buying a replacement.

The K5Q switch is still available, and from U.S. sources, but is not inexpensive. See: https://www.partstown.com/carpigiani/crpic572300114

As Robert has noted, you'll often find this sort of thing on eBay, too.

There appears to be a source in Australia, too, but more research regarding it being a straight replacement would be needed:
https://www.mrmotorparts.com.au/order-parts-online/daf-parts/switch-brake-light-suit-daf-lb45-lf45-series.html

I had the best luck using "K5Q switch" as the search terms.

Brian

Richard Greene
Experienced User
Username: benzjag

Post Number: 170
Posted on Wednesday, 11 September, 2019 - 12:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

UPDATE:

I was able to get my "universal" switch (pic) to work perfectly. I had been testing it with the last 2 terminals from the plunger;this would give power IF the plunger was pushed in. I tried the first two terminals;this was the opposite with the plunger being out giving the power (which is like the Burgess switch). There were 2 other smaller wires which I connected to the last two terimals. I assume they are for the cruise (which works great). It took patience to install it, but it was worth the effort as the total cost was $4.79 w/free shipping! Hope this will help you if you need a brake switch. The Burgess switch would sometime work;other times not at all.

THANKS to all who provided links to possible switches!

Richard

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: