A muted growl? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » A muted growl? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Francis
Frequent User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 284
Posted on Wednesday, 28 August, 2019 - 08:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Guys
I have had my 1974 Shadow since new, and kept her as good as I can, which has included changing the first silencer box with a replacemnt from flying spares and certain pipework after that with stainless tubing, and possibly a second silencer further down.
Up to 80-100kph, she is completely silent, but I do find that at about 100kph and over, when pushing her a bit on a slight uphill on the motorway for instance, there is a muted growl from the engine/exhaust.
Would you say this is a fair explanation of how she should sound, or maybe my manifolds etc are thinning a bit with time?

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 520
Posted on Wednesday, 28 August, 2019 - 09:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Stainless steel exhausts are usually louder than mild steel.
Your manifolds would not be a factor here.

richard george yeaman
Prolific User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Wednesday, 28 August, 2019 - 09:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick my shadow has a stainless system front to back and is a bit raspy, Maybe the mixture of both on your car is giving you what is normal for your set up.

Richard.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3447
Posted on Wednesday, 28 August, 2019 - 20:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OEM Shadow exhaust pipes were 10gauge steel pipe if my memory is correct for the reason they were less noisy than thinner exhaust pipes.

When stainless steel exhaust pipes were being developed here in the 1970's, cost reasons dictated the use of light gauge pipes to keep the cost down however these were found to be much noisier than the heavier gauge traditional mild steel pipes and this cost penalty was the main reason they never became widely used.

I suspect Patrick's system will be 16 gauge or thinner S/S tube and this is why the noise level has become noticeable.

gordon le feuvre
Frequent User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 313
Posted on Thursday, 29 August, 2019 - 16:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I knew my Corniche from new (1973) as i was R-R tec. at local dealer. it now has stainless system as fitted by original owner. There is definately a different exhaust noise level. More raspy under acceleration. There is a school of tbought that on e the inside of pippes carbon, this will mute this sound. My experience is this only works up to a point, and unless car is used a lot won't really apply. My car has only covered 30,000 miles!triuph

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: