RR Turbo Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » RR Turbo « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glen Poolen
Experienced User
Username: wgipps

Post Number: 184
Posted on Friday, 09 August, 2019 - 09:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Question - can a Bentley Turbo be installed easily to a SS1?
I dont know enough about Bentley, but i beleive their earlier Mulsanne had a normally aspirated turbo until 1986 (until EFI was introduced).
If my understanding is correct, then Bentley's turbo system SHOULD be transferrable to a RR.
Has anyone done/considered/baulked at this?
Cheers

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3433
Posted on Friday, 09 August, 2019 - 09:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Glen.

If it can be done - upgrading the Shadow handling with a Turbo R front antiroll bar is an absolute necessity IMHO.

Fitting the heavier Shadow "colonial" springs is an appropriate addition as well IMHO.

Glen Poolen
Experienced User
Username: wgipps

Post Number: 185
Posted on Friday, 09 August, 2019 - 10:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks David - why would you upgrade the suspension for this sort of mod?
Ill wait for the more mechanically minded people to advise on the turbo addition.

gordon le feuvre
Frequent User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 311
Posted on Friday, 09 August, 2019 - 18:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Scarey to say the least! I was on original turbo training at both Crewe and Oulton Park race circuit. This was in 1983 with carburettor based turbo and standard suspension on a Bentley Mulsanne chassis (SZ)This is later model to shadow with IMPROVED handling. The handling was appalling against the performance of the turbo engine. A Shadow would be even worse!! Then there are the brakes, later turbo's have 330mm discs instead of 300, a great improvement but requires bigger wheels. and so it goes on. Don't forget handling is about changing the direction of a given mass 2 1/4 ton. faster you get to the corner, faster car needs to get around it.

gordon le feuvre
Frequent User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 312
Posted on Friday, 09 August, 2019 - 19:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And another thing, mods to gearbox? and driveline. All turbos use lobro shafts and splined hub shaft as opposed to taper/woodruff key. Also diff carrier is a known weak spot (they snap and fall in road)on Shadow, where as mulsanne has later carrier. If you can't use the extra performance, what is point?

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2176
Posted on Friday, 09 August, 2019 - 20:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The insurance cover here in the UK would be hard to find with the modifications ie Turbo engine fitted, as for messing about with antiroll bars and heavier springs IMO that will result in the loss of the comfort ride that the SS1 is known for.
The SS2 is more a faster cruising handling car for the quicker trips.
Steering rack etc.....

Graham Phillips
Experienced User
Username: playtime

Post Number: 145
Posted on Friday, 09 August, 2019 - 23:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,.....

My understanding is that if your going to fit a turbo to the Rolls Royce engine you may have to take into consideration the turbo engine has/had lower compression.

Graham.

Mark Luft
Frequent User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 286
Posted on Saturday, 10 August, 2019 - 07:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think I would just get a pull out full engine from an early turbo and install that in your SS.

Mark Luft
Frequent User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 287
Posted on Saturday, 10 August, 2019 - 07:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And maybe get a Harvey Bailey handling kit.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: