Small Springs supplier? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Small Springs supplier? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2137
Posted on Thursday, 08 August, 2019 - 06:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Does anyone know of any small springs suppliers?

I am reconditioning the heater flap actuator motors and the one is not working as the small spring that pushes the brush onto the commutator has snapped.

It measures 4/10" in length by 1/10" OD (0.400 x 0.090 to be precise)

I have found 3 suppliers online, but each charges high prices. The one stated $1 per spring, minimum quantity 5, plus a $4 handling charge + postage at $4, which I though quite reasonable for a small order. However at the checkout it stated a minimum order price of $25. $35 for a small spring is a lot to pay.

I get it that these companies are focused on manufacturers, but does anyone know of any small scale suppliers.

Another thought is whether it is possible to make my own spring?

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2915
Posted on Thursday, 08 August, 2019 - 07:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

Many moons ago (not so many, really, but with the speed of mergers and acquisitions) I ordered tiny springs at a reasonable price from a company called smallparts.com, which later became Amazon Supply, which has since become Amazon Business.

They have an industrial and scientific section where you can buy small, or even not so small, quantities of compression or extension springs. I would be shocked if one of the multi-assortment boxes, virtually all of which are under $20 for several hundred springs, wouldn't have what you're looking for. There are lots of other options, too.

You do have to establish a separate Amazon Business account and you cannot use the same e-mail address as you use for your personal Amazon account (unless you want to convert it to a business account).

When I was looking for springs it was for the ancient screen door handle mechanism on one of my doors that dates from the mid-1950s.

Brian, who doesn't recommend trying to make one's own springs [I find spring steel hell to work with, period]

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 2138
Posted on Thursday, 08 August, 2019 - 11:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Brian - I will be checking this out tomorrow. I tried smallparts.com and see what you mean about it linking through to Amazon Business. I will invent a new email name as required.

Kelly Opfar
Frequent User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 238
Posted on Thursday, 08 August, 2019 - 13:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Try McMaster.com

http://BritishToolWorks.com

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 2139
Posted on Friday, 09 August, 2019 - 00:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Kelly

I'd checked McMaster Carr but they didn't have the correct size. If I can't find suitable springs on Amazon Business I will revisit, as an approximate size may suffice with a little tweaking.

I managed to get the grommets that secure the actuator gearbox covers in place from Grainger. Great company - 50 grommets for under 3 bucks. Enough to open up all six actuators, clean out the 45 year old grease/crud, re-lubricate, clean all electrical contacts and re-solder the wire if necessary. Beats $300 a pop.

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 1199
Posted on Friday, 09 August, 2019 - 11:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

I would raid my spares bin for you if you can wait a few days until I get home.

If not you could look into lock springs. They are small low pressure, cheap, and available in multiple sizes.

Best.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 2140
Posted on Friday, 09 August, 2019 - 12:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Ross

Thanks for the offer but I think I will be ok. I've drawn a blank in finding a replacement but I think I may be able to use the damaged spring, with some careful coaxing. I will however check out lock springs first.

As a point of interest I've included a pic of the springs and brushes - 1 good, 1 damaged

a

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: