Working on Camilla Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Working on Camilla « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Graham Phillips
Experienced User
Username: playtime

Post Number: 136
Posted on Monday, 29 July, 2019 - 15:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

As my first thread is now 200+ replies I'd thought it best to start a new thread.

Well I think I have a developing problem with Camilla. (my Silver Shadow)

As I have mentioned in my first thread when she idles low the 'Gen' light can come on, some times it just barely flickers on,..

When warm and at a higher idle there has been no problem.

However, I have noticed the last couple of times out when cruising the speedometer needle flickers just a tad occasionally.

Also I noticed that the 'Gen' light barely flickers also at the very same time.

However the 'Amps' needle is steady in the center where it should be.

The only time it isn't in the center is when I first start Camilla after she has sat for a few days or more, then once started the needle is about 1mm or so into the positive as the battery gets recharged for the first 10 mins.

I can run the lights, etc and the Amp stays where it should be, dead center otherwise.

Could I have the start of a voltage regulator playing up on me?

Graham.

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 201
Posted on Monday, 29 July, 2019 - 17:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brushes wearing - beginning to make (very) intermittent contact???

Alan D.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 482
Posted on Monday, 29 July, 2019 - 21:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Check idle rpm. It may be low triggering the Gen lamp.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3409
Posted on Monday, 29 July, 2019 - 21:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree with Alan - worn brushes - I am assuming your Camilla has a generator and not an alternator.

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 137
Posted on Monday, 29 July, 2019 - 21:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well as if on queue the alternator failed tonight while Camilla was warming up before I clocked off from work,...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZV_NH_01Y0

I made it home ok,...

With spasms of the AMPS gauge dropping 25% into the negative and the 'Gen' light fully on,....

Then just a sudden all changes, lights brighten,.. 'Gen' light go's out and AMPS gauge go's equal distance into the positive to recharge the battery from it moments before discharge event,...

Am now going to need to rebuild this alternator or need to get a replacement,...

Sigh,....

Graham.

Jeff McCarthy
Frequent User
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 629
Posted on Tuesday, 30 July, 2019 - 00:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham - before you tear the altenator apart do check the regulator. They do fail and it's much cheaper if that is the problem. Get a sparky to test both before you spend the money/time/grief disassembling the whole system. I agree it probably is the altenator brushes after 40+ years but approach it systematically.

The autoelectrician can test it in about 5 minutes.

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 138
Posted on Tuesday, 30 July, 2019 - 13:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well got back from the auto elec and its confirmed, the alternator has self destructed,....

I spoke to Tony at UK motors and he may have another original alternator in his warehouse, will find out later today if so I am looking at $900.00

Spent an hour at the auto elec as I had to have the battery put on charge for an hour so I could get back home.

The radio stopped and the indicators didn't work anymore because the battery ran out of juice.

This morning on the way to the auto elec most of the way the AMPS gauge was halfway into the negative.

As soon as I got home I put the battery back onto my charger and it will stay there until tomorrow morning.

Seriously, I need to win the lottery,...

sigh,...

Graham.

Richard Greene
Experienced User
Username: benzjag

Post Number: 161
Posted on Tuesday, 30 July, 2019 - 14:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

WOW...$900.00!!!!

I took mine off of the 78, & my local shop charged only $65.00 to rebuild it! The rebuilder said it was "nothing but a GM in the Rolls housing"!!!!!!!

Richard

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2131
Posted on Tuesday, 30 July, 2019 - 15:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Flying Spares price is 220 uk pounds (390 Aus dollars). Even with the postal charges it will be a lot less than $900.

My alternator is on the blink so I have bought a modern substitute which I intend to fit (cost $100). I will then recondition the original at leisure.

David Gore

Post Number: 3411
Posted on Tuesday, 30 July, 2019 - 19:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Grahame,

The alternator on DRH14434 was a CAV 85amp truck alternator to handle the load from the vehicle electrics and air-conditioning system. I would not consider a smaller capacity alternator for this reason.

Refurbishing it is a simple task for an autoelectrician and should include fitting new diodes, regulator, brushes and bearings. A fully reconditioned alternator should last 150,000/200,00km before requiring further overhaul.

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 139
Posted on Tuesday, 30 July, 2019 - 19:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Well as of me typing this I haven't heard from Tony yet and I am thinking of having mine rebuilt anyway,...

A rebuild will be my first option here.

And I'd expect more than 150-200,000klms out of an alternator.

My daily driver got me just over 950,000klms before I had to replace its alternator, I still have the failed one, I intend to have it rebuilt later so I have it as a spare.

Geez,... this last 3 months and alternators,...

Its gotta be a conspiracy,....
;)

Graham.

Alan Dibley
Frequent User

Post Number: 202
Posted on Wednesday, 31 July, 2019 - 17:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Incidentally I found a place in Plymouth UK that rebuilds alternators. They really know their stuff = I searched by telephone for an alternator for a Citroen CX25 GTi (1988). Most so-called auto-electrical repair shops made the sharp intake of breath response and "No mate, can't help you", but this guy replied "Valeo XYZ123. that's from a 1980s big Citroen", and I immediately knew they would get my business. One 80-mile round trip later and it was fixed.

Any UK folk with similar problems "private message" me.

Alan D.

Alan Scard
New User
Username: alanscard

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, 31 July, 2019 - 22:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Back in 2013 I had the following fault on my 1972 Shadow which had 132,185 miles on the clock.
Ignition warning light is permanently on suggesting that the alternator is not charging. Stripped the alternator and replaced the slip ring bearing which was noisy, plus the slip rings and new brushes. Although the ammeter is showing the alternator is now charging the voltage check indicates that the regulator is defective. A new regulator was fitted and the system is now charging ok.
The costs of the replacement parts all from UK internet sources was:

Alternator slip ring bearing BRG 6202 2RS Cost £3.73
Alternator slip ring SLR3919 Cost £7.04
Alternator brush box C139390 Cost £9.27
Regulator Lucas CAV 1861660 Cost £25.35

The total cost being just £20.04 for the alternator parts. I agree this was 6 years ago but some of the prices quoted on this forum, seem very high. The alternative is a CAV type.
Alan

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 1188
Posted on Wednesday, 31 July, 2019 - 22:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

He will be too far away for me, but sounds like a good find.

Reminds me of the time I bought a hilux with the input bearing on the transmission failed and the bearing parts fallen into the transmission case. The noise was astonishing but that's how one gets cars at scrap prices.

I checked with the dealer and the bearing was big money.

So I went to the local bearing supply and asked the counter guy ( dont remember the actual #'s )

Me: "Do you have a Timken 8901 bearing"

Counter guy: "Do you mean an 8109?"

I knew I found the right place.

It's always reassuring you are in the right place.

Even better, my transmission guy.

I called him and said " I just bought a 1998 chevy work truck with the V6 and 110k miles and it's throwing a code."

That's as far as I got when he said "The code is a pxxxx because you have a failed shift spool valve, reline it or replace the valve body.

And yeah it was that.

My alternator guy ( actually my friend's alternator guy) is like that sort of. He used to rebuild alternators for semi tractors and large equipment but now rebuilds alternators for fun?

Anyway, you leave the alternator on his back porch with your name, he calls you a day later or so and it's sitting in a bag with a price. You put the money in his mailbox.

He fast and very inexpensive and knows a ton more about alternators than my old alternator guy (me)

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 141
Posted on Saturday, 03 August, 2019 - 12:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well in a couple of hours I'll be taking Camilla to drop her off to get a few little jobs done on her.

I'll collect her next week.

At least, that's the plan,....

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 143
Posted on Wednesday, 07 August, 2019 - 16:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well just heard back from Tony about my Camilla's alternator,...

Was told it was in bad condition, just waiting on cost of parts or may be forced to get a new one,....

All other work I took her in for we agreed would be set aside until the alternator was fixed first.

Looks like I may have to sacrifice yet another basket of kittens to come out of this without having to sell my body to raise funds to pay for it,..... (again).

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 144
Posted on Friday, 09 August, 2019 - 23:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well today I found out a change over alternator replaced mine, Plus a few of the jobs I had listed got done.

Still a couple more to do later.

But for now I can collect Camilla tomorrow.

The total was a bit higher than I had thought it would be.

But also Tony found the engine sump had a missing bolt, and couple of others were loose.

Fixed a leak in the hydraulic system.

Cleaned the hydraulic tank and filters, flushed the system, refilled with new clean fluid.

Fitted new brake disc pads in the front, the rears are still good for a while and I can do those later.

Cleaned engine breather and replaced O rings.

I'll see about some video tomorrow.

Graham.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 483
Posted on Saturday, 10 August, 2019 - 04:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Graham, was the hydraulic leak at the no.2 pump housing seals as I earlier suspected?

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 146
Posted on Saturday, 10 August, 2019 - 07:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

The hydraulic leak was at a junction at the drivers side passenger door along the frame just at that main cross member. It needed tightening up.

There is an oil leak at the base of the dizzy where the #2 pump is,....

Tony said it looked like the top plate might be leaking, it seems there is a bolt at the back that has a tendency to loosen off and since there is no seal between that plate and its contact surface it can leak a little there.

I thought it looked like the O ring on the Dizzy could be perished and that's where the oil was coming from.

That is a small job yet to be done for next time.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 147
Posted on Saturday, 10 August, 2019 - 16:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well I got my Camilla back!

I saw the damage in the alternator,.. WOW!

Half the brush assembly was worn away.

A bearing had collapsed and a ball was missing,...

The stator was ground up and the slip ring also chewed up,...

The replacement was an original but the fan on it was plastic,.... Tony kept my metal one and put it on the replacement, also the pully that came with the replacement had an incorrect offset so he kept mine and the back plate.

The engine breather was a bit blocked so he removed the mesh and cleaned it and the entire pipe and reassembled with new O rings.

There had been oil drips from there when I get her but now its all clean and working so that should help stop any leaks with no pressure build up.

Will monitor.

Cleaned hydraulic tank and filters,... filters were mostly blocked, now clean.

Flushed system and refilled with NEW fluid.

New disc pads in the front, rears are still good.

Was missing bolt in the sump and a couple of others were loose.

fixed leak in junction for hydraulic system, connections needed tightening.

Runs great and quiet again.

And as soon as I drove out it started to dump with rain,....

sigh,....

Graham.

Hubert Kelly
Frequent User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 362
Posted on Saturday, 10 August, 2019 - 16:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hope you have hours of trouble free motoring Graham.

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 148
Posted on Saturday, 10 August, 2019 - 18:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Thanks Hubert.

Aaaaaand, tomorrow afternoon, I put her back into storage,.....

Graham.

David Gore

Post Number: 3436
Posted on Saturday, 10 August, 2019 - 18:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham,

You have encountered the classic used car purchase experience - always allocate 10% of your available funds for post purchase repairs in the first 3 months of ownership.

You were extremely fortunate to get the car home safely before the inherent problems began to make the presence known. However, it is important for you to keep driving the car for several hours each week as it does not like extended periods of idleness!

R-R/B vehicles thrive on regular use.

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 149
Posted on Sunday, 11 August, 2019 - 08:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,.....

Just woke up to this:

And I just washed her,......

sigh,..

Graham.

David Gore

Post Number: 3437
Posted on Sunday, 11 August, 2019 - 12:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham,

Camilla is probably thinking she is back home and not on the other side of the world!!

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 150
Posted on Sunday, 11 August, 2019 - 14:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

David, I thought the same thing but Camilla even though she was built for the 'home' market, she only spent the first 4yrs of her life 'at home'.

Then she was picked up and taken to this strange land where 'people talk funny!'

This may be the first time she has seen snow since she was home.

Just took her for a drive before I put her away for a while. :-(

Graham.

Hubert Kelly
Frequent User

Post Number: 365
Posted on Monday, 12 August, 2019 - 00:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham, how did she handle the snow/ice. I have a 79 Shadow but to nervous to drive it in snow/ice

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 151
Posted on Monday, 12 August, 2019 - 12:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Hubert, Camilla was very stable and felt planted on the road.

Even driving over slushy snow not yet washed off the road.

On wet snowy grass you had to be gentle starting off or she would spin the wheels a little but all right otherwise.

Like any car in snow, don't jump on the brakes and be smooth with the steering.

Was kinda funny really because there are all the city tourists and people in their big 4X4's and yes some stuck on the side of the road and here I am just leisurely cruising around in a 'Roller'!.......

I tell ya, some of the looks I got as I drove by as if it was just another day,...
;)

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 153
Posted on Thursday, 15 August, 2019 - 14:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Just putting this out there,...

I saw a nice blue shadow series I on the ring road inbound down here in Melbourne this morning....

Would have been about 11:15am

Did'nt have the camera readily to hand as I was driving at work,...

Ok, work is a strong word for what I do,...

"My impression of Work!"

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 154
Posted on Tuesday, 01 October, 2019 - 14:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,.....

Yesterday I saw a white series I SS with its bonnet up at the servo on the ring road inbound opposite John Deere, very nice!

This Friday I will be collecting Camilla and taking her to work.

After work I am going on a small trip of around 7-800klms.

So I'll be driving on county roads in the dark with Roo's etc,....

Not a concern for me as this is a daily issue for me just getting to and from work.

Should give the lights a good workout,.....

And a good test for the rebuilt alternator.

I'll also get to test the cigar lighters to power some gadgets.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 156
Posted on Saturday, 05 October, 2019 - 21:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

I got Camilla out for the first time since her alternator was replaced on Friday just gone.

I took her to work for a run.

Then when I got home Friday night I loaded Camilla up for a 350klm run out to just short of Swan Hill.

I got to use the high beam lights for long periods of time and the alternator kept up just fine.

Just got home 40 mins ago.

Camilla ran like a dream.

3 People with bedding, clothes for 2 days+ food etc loaded in the boot.

Ok,.. the 3 people weren't actually in the boot,.... ;)

I got to wash her tomorrow, all those bugs smashed into the windscreen,...

I don't want to see the front just now,....

Graham.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User

Post Number: 505
Posted on Sunday, 06 October, 2019 - 07:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Glad you got the alternator problem sorted Graham. Looking back at your photo of the hydraulic reservoir dated 10th August there would appear to be a slight leak from both sight glass seals, just something to be aware of for future attention. Removing the sight glass metal covers can be a delicate operation and it's important to have perfectly fitting tools otherwise the screw heads can be easily damaged.

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 157
Posted on Sunday, 06 October, 2019 - 09:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

5-6 weeks ago when the work was done I had the tank cleaned, filters cleaned etc,...

That white dusty residue I think is just dried cleaning agent,...

So far I haven't seen any leaks from around the glass as its all dry.

Not saying there might have been in the past before I got to be custodian of Camilla but right now it seems fine.

I will of course keep an eye on it as I do all fluid levels,...

I need a cup O tea,...

Later this morning I got to go out and face washing her and those dead bugs on the windscreen,.... and grill,...

Later this afternoon I'll be putting her away again.

Graham.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User

Post Number: 506
Posted on Sunday, 06 October, 2019 - 09:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Graham, maybe the seals have already been replaced and hopefully the marks on the paint are from a time beforehand. Brake fluid is very corrosive on paint. If you run your finger or a piece of tissue paper along the bottom of the reservoir you should be able to detect if there is any seepage of fluid escaping from the reservoir sight glasses. That long trip you did should have a positive effect on performance, don't put her away for too long, happy motoring.

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 158
Posted on Sunday, 06 October, 2019 - 12:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Thanks Larry.

Just cheaked the oil level this morning,...

Hmmmm,....

Graham.

Richard Greene
Experienced User

Post Number: 172
Posted on Sunday, 06 October, 2019 - 12:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As hard as you may try, you will never make a 42 year old car perfect! I learned this quickly years ago when I purchased my first Shadow!

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 159
Posted on Sunday, 06 October, 2019 - 17:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Ok, question:

Can you still get a set of front and rear wilton carpets for the Shadow?

Or do I need to go to a floor carpet seller and get it from them and have it cut to order?

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 165
Posted on Saturday, 09 November, 2019 - 18:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well, today I got Camilla out of storage as I planned to take her to a car show just the other side of ballarat.

The day started with not being able to get into the boot to reconnect the battery.

I had to go back home to get a motorbike batt to plug into the cigar lighter to provide power to open the boot.

After that event Camilla started just fine so when warmed up I drove 30mins down the road to get some shopping and supplies for the trip tomorrow.

I did notice that the AMPs gauge was under reading by about the width of the needle off zero.

If I turned on anything the gauge would drop,....

I was thinking something is out of whack as even the fan wasn't working as it should, it was very slow.

I vaguely remember something about the climate control going out of sequence or something if the power was cut,.... I think it was a vid from rollsroyce nut,...?

Anyway while I was in the main street in town Camilla just stopped,...

The power was out,.... I thought must be a bad contact on the battery terminal so I'll just clean it,...

No joy,... the battery is dead!

So I had to go buy another battery,...

With a new battery she fired right up,... but I still have the AMP gauge reading just like before, just under zero with it dropping if you turn anything on.

After I had the alternator done it was all fine, but now I seem to be back with no charging.

I wonder if the voltage regulator is working right?

Graham.

Hubert Kelly
Frequent User

Post Number: 376
Posted on Sunday, 10 November, 2019 - 06:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham if you have a multi meter you might check if the alternator is putting out any charge?

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 645
Posted on Sunday, 10 November, 2019 - 06:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham, do as Hubert suggests, but take readings across the alternator output, across the battery and across say the cigarette lighter socket. Take readings with all accessories off and with headlights blower etc on. On my Shadow1 I had voltage drop issues due to corrosion on the spade connectors on the front bulkhead(firewall?).A good clean worked wonders for window speed, blower, charge etc. Same problem with pre 20000 series SZ cars.
If anyone has a W123 Mercedes, this same problem occurs on the junction box on the NSF inner wing.
Mark

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 166
Posted on Sunday, 10 November, 2019 - 11:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Forgot to ask,..

The Shadow II if I remember right has an external voltage regulator?

I'll check the voltage as suggested.

Thanks.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 167
Posted on Sunday, 10 November, 2019 - 18:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well as my luck continues,...

My multi meter died!

Seriously,... was working perfectly last time I used it.

So now I need to get another one,....

But I did give the leather a going over with Saddle Soap.

Before: [I]I have cleaned the right side[/I]

After:

Drivers door before:

After:

Center console before:

After:

The rear was clean with just a couple of scuff marks that came right out.

Graham.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User

Post Number: 522
Posted on Monday, 11 November, 2019 - 11:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nice work. A hide feed would help to keep it soft & supple.

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 169
Posted on Monday, 11 November, 2019 - 16:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

The only leather I haven't touched yet is the seats themselves.

I'll have to figure a way to shoehorn the covers off of them first.

I was surprised at the passenger door as it looked really clean, once I made a clean spot on the arm rest it then showed up just how bad it was,...

The rear was the best as I'd say next to nobody has been in there as there was only a few slight scuff marks.

Next is to see about replacing the Wilton carpet in the front.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 171
Posted on Saturday, 23 November, 2019 - 17:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well I just fixed a small charging issue I had with Camilla.

The other weekend I was going to take her to a car show but after I collected her from storage the amp gauge was always just a hair under zero.

If you put the fan on or lights etc it would drop dramatically into discharge.

Well the battery died in the main street less than 30 mins down the road, I thought it was just a bad connection on the battery terminal but the battery was DEAD!

I had to buy another battery.

Well it still had the same issue with the AMP gauge etc.

Today I dropped into UK motors to see Tony, turns out it was a broken wire to the battery from the regulator so it knows the battery state.

Funny thing is that wire has been like that from when I bought Camilla.

All the way back the AMP gauge has been in the positive charge side and I had the AC running and radio.

Everything runs just fine again.

So all is right with the world again!

Tomorrow I'll give Camilla a wash.

I may take her to Ballarat to the car show there tomorrow.

Graham.

Hubert Kelly
Frequent User

Post Number: 377
Posted on Saturday, 23 November, 2019 - 22:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Happy days Graham, you did a fab job on cleaning the leather by the way.

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 173
Posted on Monday, 25 November, 2019 - 12:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Thanks Hubert, I was surprised at what I thought was clean (passenger door) and it turned out to be dirty and really showed once I made a clean spot.

Its like when my Mother came for a 'visit' and runs her finger over benches etc and then you see the dust, then I get THAT look,...

To which my response was:

"Now how am I going to fill that back in,...?"

For the record, that's the wrong response,....

I'll save you from what followed but I felt it best to go do a project LOCKED in my workshop,... (for my safety!)

The drivers side of course was the worst.

But even that cleaned up reasonably well.

I'll give it another go over later.

Anyway, I took Camilla to work with me today,...

She is running like a dream.

If it rains later this afternoon I'll wash her when I get home.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 174
Posted on Friday, 06 December, 2019 - 22:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well the last 3 days I have been taking Camilla to work to give her some exercise.

Anyway, on the way home the Gen light came on, the AMP gauge dropped half way into discharge.

Basically what it was doing before.

So I turned off the fan and radio and made it home ok,... I cheaked to see if the connection that was fixed before was still connected and hadn't broken, it was just fine,...

But what I am hearing is a grinding sound,....

Yup,...

Its the alternator,...

That rebuilt one making that noise,.....

sigh,....

I think I'm going to be looking at the warranty in this alternator, I'm thinking its gonna get replaced,.....

Graham.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User

Post Number: 529
Posted on Saturday, 07 December, 2019 - 01:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Graham, I wonder if the alternator belt has been over-tensioned which might lead to bearing wear?

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2215
Posted on Saturday, 07 December, 2019 - 02:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Grinding indicating an incorrectly positioned rotor with damage to the brushes within the brush holder etc.
Grinding cause then can be the incorrect running position of the fan hitting.
IMO alternators serviced should do 200,000 miles with only brush replacement unless arduous conditions are present.

If the recon alternator belt was fitted so tight as to cause a bearing heating up with noise then the water pump bearing assembly would fail way before the alternator!

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 175
Posted on Saturday, 07 December, 2019 - 13:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwvRY5tVPoA

Graham.

Hubert Kelly
Frequent User

Post Number: 378
Posted on Saturday, 07 December, 2019 - 23:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Graham, sounds real bad, just as a matter of interest, the belt ain't standard issue?.
Anyway Graham, will the guy stand by his work?.

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 176
Posted on Sunday, 08 December, 2019 - 00:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well Tony only installed the rebuilt alternator he got supplied with so I guess we will see if the supplier will stand behind their work.

Have e-mailed Tony (and included the video) but its the weekend so don't expect to really hear from him till Monday.

There is a 'Babes & Bumpers' event on the 14th I had planed on taking Camilla to so she could be photographed with models at Docklands.

Well I guess that isn't gonna happen,....

I may have to take my Deuce instead,....

I guess we will see what happens so as the saying go's,...

Stay tuned to this 'Bat Channel'

Graham.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2220
Posted on Sunday, 08 December, 2019 - 02:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just ran the video, yikes Best to remove the belt and charge battery if you need to use the car also carry a jump pack if your using the aircon.
Sounds like the rotor not running smooth on my old computer.

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 177
Posted on Sunday, 08 December, 2019 - 09:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

I actually turn the fan/AC off as well as radio.

I also unplugged the positive lead on the A/C compressor so I am reducing all the draw I can on the battery.

Hardly done any miles in Camilla since this alternator was fitted.

sigh,...

Graham.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User

Post Number: 530
Posted on Sunday, 08 December, 2019 - 09:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I reckon you could remove the alternator belt, fully charge the battery with a home charger and drive to meet the models and back if it's only a local run. If concerned bring a spare charged battery in the trunk just in case. There should be enough power in a fully charged battery to travel a good many miles, the charge light will be illuminated on the dash but you will still have enough juice in the battery to run the engine. It would be a shame if Camilla was to be denied the chance to meet those lovely models, she might not forgive you.

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 178
Posted on Sunday, 08 December, 2019 - 23:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

The battery is on charge as I type this, I'll disconnect he charger in the morning before I leave for work.

Yeah I have thought of removing the belt so as to not do any more damage to the alternator.

I really hope this is going to be the last drama before we settle down.

Graham.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User

Post Number: 531
Posted on Monday, 09 December, 2019 - 03:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The joys of classic car ownership, minor hiccups make life interesting and fixing problems gives a certain degree of satisfaction. Looking forward to photos of those lovely models draped across your fenders, mind that they don't scratch the paint or leather. Stiletto heel marks on the headlining can be a bugger to remove!

Mike Thompson
Prolific User
Username: vroomrr

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Monday, 09 December, 2019 - 09:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"Stiletto heel marks on the headlining can be a bugger to remove!"

Hmm and just how do you know that Larry, do you rent the car out to the Hugh Hefner type ? :-)

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User

Post Number: 532
Posted on Monday, 09 December, 2019 - 12:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A gentleman never divulges information of that nature Mike but your interest is noted.

David Gore

Post Number: 3527
Posted on Monday, 09 December, 2019 - 14:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Larry,

Back in the early 1990's in my role as State Manager for a major Australian water pump company and whilst doing a dealer visit trip in the country with one of my representatives, I had to ask him to explain the puncture holes in the rear roof lining of his company-supplied station wagon. The location and nature of the holes could not be easily explained as having come from company products/promotional material being carried in the cargo area which was a regular event.

After a long silence and much agitation by the representative, he admitted to picking up a female hitch-hiker which had resulted in an unexpected reward consistent with his status as a single mid-20's male.

After some persuasion from my part including a reference to my being aware of the possible causes; he finally admitted to "getting lucky" before they arrived at her destination.

However the downside was she had not taken off her shoes and had put her feet on the cargo area roof during the activity and the heels went through the lining.

After some counselling on my part and a directive to have the damaged roof repaired immediately to avoid further awkward questions if a head office manager decided to do a country dealer visit at short notice; the roof was duly repaired.

However, his fellow representatives, knowing the circumstances involved, presented him with a plastic pool liner puncture repair kit as a present at the staff Xmas party later in the year much to the bewilderment of the Sydney office staff and much hilarity from his fellow representatives who knew the full circumstances involved.

Mike Thompson
Prolific User

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Monday, 09 December, 2019 - 14:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cheeky Larry. You do know your silence has left me to my own fervent imagination. Where you spend your days as in the picture below. And David's comment did not help either. :-)

Marilyn

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User

Post Number: 533
Posted on Tuesday, 10 December, 2019 - 09:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What has me curious is how David was already familiar with the possible cause of the roof lining damage but knowing that he is a reputable gentleman I reckon that a request for elaboration would be pointless.

Trevor Hodgekinson
Experienced User
Username: wm20

Post Number: 120
Posted on Tuesday, 10 December, 2019 - 09:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A Gentleman never looks

Should he inadvertiantly to look
A Gentleman never sees

Should he accidentally see
A gentleman never tells

David Gore

Post Number: 3528
Posted on Tuesday, 10 December, 2019 - 21:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Larry,

The position, size and type of the penetrations were all that was needed to indicate the probable cause however I was duty-bound to confirm my suspicions.

I had been advised by a staff member that I should investigate the damage as certain rumours were active regarding the circumstances involved. As a consequence I quickly set up a country dealer visit with the representative concerned and the rest is as described. I also took particular care to ensure the staff member who tipped me off about the incident was protected.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User

Post Number: 534
Posted on Wednesday, 11 December, 2019 - 04:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A delicate investigation handled appropriately David. During the course of your enquiries did you by any chance manage to glean details of the location where the obliging young lady was collected or dropped off? A response via PM would of course be advisable to protect the young lady's identity.

David Gore

Post Number: 3529
Posted on Wednesday, 11 December, 2019 - 07:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes, the young lady was picked up in Canberra in the morning, the activity occurred on the bank of the Murrumbidgee River after they stopped at a country pub for lunch.

As an aside, the rep's call report had less calls recorded than usual for the week this occurred so I had initially assumed more time than usual had been spent with dealers on his regular call cycle - this was a common event so no no particular concern on my part.

With the benefit of hindsight, I would not be surprised if they shared a night or two in motels as well afterwards as a representative's call cycle involved 4 or 5 nights away from home each week.

Given the size of their territories in NSW, annual car mileages were huge and cars were replaced every 18 to 24 months with odometer readings of 150,000/200,000km.

Mike Thompson
Prolific User

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Wednesday, 11 December, 2019 - 08:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This just gets Cheekyer by the moment, I assume the lady in question is an old lady by now, and her wantant ways have been cured with that age.

Side note: I remember reading that after WWII a lot more babies were born than normal (I guess to unwed mothers). The reason given was in England the females were the aggessors and the men were the keepers of the chastity. Where as the Americans were the opposite. So when the ladies offered the Americans took them up on the offer. So more babies.

Now of course with the statement of: "The position, size and type of the penetrations were all that was needed to indicate the probable cause". It was a good thing she was legal age or there would be a lot more to tell about "that" story. :-)

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User

Post Number: 535
Posted on Wednesday, 11 December, 2019 - 10:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I suspect that David might be leading towards the punchline that the naming of Murray-Darling basin was inspired by this particular event.

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 179
Posted on Wednesday, 11 December, 2019 - 12:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,.....

Will be dropping Camilla off to be looked at tomorrow morning on my way into work.

Graham.

Trevor Hodgekinson
Experienced User

Post Number: 121
Posted on Wednesday, 11 December, 2019 - 12:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

lady in question is an old lady by now, and her wantant ways have been cured with that age.

Why ?

If people enjoy having sex why should they stop with age ?

There was a survey in Forum magazine decades ago and better than 75% of married women were dissatisified with their sex life with their partners so no surprise should they seek proper sexual gratification with men who appreciate being given the priviledge of sharing a woman's body.
But we are getting a bit off topic.
My mower parts rep does the entire state with the exception of the greater Sydney area, he turns over cars annually usually with around 300,000 on the clock.}

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User

Post Number: 536
Posted on Thursday, 12 December, 2019 - 03:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree with Trevor, my appetite for sex hasn't diminished with age. I still feel like an 18 year old but they're becoming increasingly difficult to find.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 1910
Posted on Thursday, 12 December, 2019 - 05:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hahahahahaha you lot are incorrigible

Mike Thompson
Prolific User

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Thursday, 12 December, 2019 - 06:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well my appetite has not diminished, but certain veins have. So like all mountains with time, they too are diminished from their former glory. But then taking Amloipine (a calcium channel blocker for high blood pressure, opens up the veins) has help that appetite.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User

Post Number: 537
Posted on Thursday, 12 December, 2019 - 09:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You have my deepest sympathy Mike, I would suspect that your predicament must leave you at an unfortunate disadvantage. Meanwhile, Camilla should be back to her former working self soon and hopefully in time for the much anticipated photo shoot.

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 180
Posted on Thursday, 12 December, 2019 - 12:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well I dropped Camilla off for Tony to 'do his thing'.

He was shocked at the noise and said he will be having words with the supplier.

I guess we will see but I don't hold much hope of Camilla making it to the ball this Sat.

Graham.

Richard Greene
Experienced User

Post Number: 174
Posted on Thursday, 12 December, 2019 - 12:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham...I am glad your tech is working with you! Parts today are some of the worst I have seen. One problem everything is made in China...even well known respected brands.

Also, I AM GLAD WE ARE BACK ON TOPIC AND NOT DISCUSSING SEX which is not a bad thing but not appropriate for this thread!

Richard

Mike Thompson
Prolific User

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Thursday, 12 December, 2019 - 12:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry I thought Camilla was making noises for another reason. Forgot it was a car.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User

Post Number: 538
Posted on Friday, 13 December, 2019 - 00:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I concur Richard.

Mike Thompson
Prolific User

Post Number: 1124
Posted on Friday, 13 December, 2019 - 01:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK back on topic. An Alternator search said the AC Delco 3342441A is a replacement for at least the Silver Shadow II. And the Lucas Model 20 ACR was also put into Triumphs as well as Jaguars with part number C39947. If someone can pin down an alternative I would love to add it to the CROSSOVER list.

PS the part number UE41575 which is supposed to be the Silver Shadow part number for the Alternator, brought nothing but used and new RR alternators.

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 181
Posted on Friday, 13 December, 2019 - 09:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Ok,..

Update.

yesterday late afternoon I got an e-mail from Tony letting me know that off his own bat he took the alternator out of Camilla and installed his TEST alternator so I will have Camilla for tomorrows photo shoot while he works out the warranty with the supplier.

So when that is done I will just need to bring Camilla back to swap over alternators.

Tony went 'Above and Beyond' as he didn't have to do that.

Oh and as we may not talk about sex here, how do we stand with me posting pictures of the models,....

lol

Graham.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User

Post Number: 539
Posted on Friday, 13 December, 2019 - 09:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Posting pictures of the models here should be OK in my opinion provided that Camilla is not left out of the picture. As a purist I would obviously be more interested in seeing Camilla professionally photographed from various angles and I would not allow myself to become distracted by any other subject matter. Should anything untoward be exposed in the photos I will avert my eyes of course and you therefore shouldn't find it necessary to censor anything on my account.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2224
Posted on Friday, 13 December, 2019 - 18:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What the heck has this all to do with a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow.

Moderator Advice - the two previous posts subject to this comment have been moved to a more appropriate topic in Idler Chatter.

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 182
Posted on Saturday, 14 December, 2019 - 08:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well in a little over 30 mins I'll be leaving with my camera and a smile on my face to go take some pictures of some awesome curves,.....

I hope not to many Models get in the way,....

;)

Graham.

Mike Thompson
Prolific User

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Saturday, 14 December, 2019 - 08:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick Lockyer said: "What the heck has this all to do with a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow."

Short answer is the post above.

Graham Phillips needed to get his alternator fixed, for one reason, so he could take his ..."Rolls Royce Silver Shadow"... to be photographed with models. Hence the comments to which were said. (And caused David to need to use his time for this.)

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2229
Posted on Saturday, 14 December, 2019 - 16:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Like it or lump it.
One of the moderators tasks is to keep the posts on track.
We are blessed with David as being very fare and just in his time on here.

Mike Thompson
Prolific User

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Saturday, 14 December, 2019 - 16:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Why not learn how to read the posts before you pass judgement on other's comments. In context the comments were on track. Even David's.

Like it or lump it.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2232
Posted on Saturday, 14 December, 2019 - 18:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I will let David explain as to the posts removed.
Maybe it is you who have not read them!

David Gore

Post Number: 3531
Posted on Saturday, 14 December, 2019 - 19:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Re Pat's comment above - I bared my all and no-one noticed.....

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/16947/38375.html?1576218690

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2233
Posted on Saturday, 14 December, 2019 - 20:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That the one, nothing to do with a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow.

Mike, like it or lump it.

Mike Thompson
Prolific User

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Sunday, 15 December, 2019 - 00:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David I did notice, I just have not had time to properly comment on it. (I believe it is the most ingenious way to show nudity I have ever seen.)

Moderator Comment: I have replied to this part of your post in the "Baby Photos" topic on Idler Chatter.

Where's the photo shoot pictures Graham.

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 183
Posted on Sunday, 15 December, 2019 - 08:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

I've spent last night processing the pictures and requests from models, already have another shoot in the works for early next year, looking at various locations around the Mt Macedon area.

Pics will posted later today.

Hmmmm,... now how do I do that again,....?

;)

Graham.

David Gore

Post Number: 3534
Posted on Sunday, 15 December, 2019 - 18:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"Hmmmm,... now how do I do that again,....?"

Send them to David, of course, who is only too happy to help do this for you and our members................

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 184
Posted on Sunday, 15 December, 2019 - 20:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

I put in a hard days work,....

Just a sample:

All I wanted to do was take a few happy snaps of Camilla and I keep getting all these women getting in the way,...

Don't ya hate it when that happens,....

Graham.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User

Post Number: 541
Posted on Monday, 16 December, 2019 - 00:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Camilla looks wonderful, nutmeg is an attractive colour and the tread plates stand out well too, it's good to see that those nice young ladies appear to appreciate Camilla's beauty too. Happy motoring.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User

Post Number: 542
Posted on Tuesday, 17 December, 2019 - 12:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If that's a Trump baseball cap on the top roll in the 2nd & 4th photos I feel obliged to draw attention to the rule barring political statements. Looks like the moderator may have inadvertently overlooked the baseball cap, perhaps he was otherwise distracted!

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 185
Posted on Thursday, 19 December, 2019 - 06:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,.....

Well yesterday was the big reveal of the Rolls.

We took my Mother to the Windsor for high Tea and Valet parked Camilla.

As we left Camilla was driven up at the moment my Mother opened her birthday card,....

And that's when the hilarity ensued,....

Video coming.

Graham.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User

Post Number: 545
Posted on Friday, 20 December, 2019 - 11:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

has the video been censored?

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 189
Posted on Tuesday, 24 December, 2019 - 13:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,.....

Video IS coming, right now we are having an issue getting the video my sister took while I was driving on her smarty pants phone out and into the laptop, then I can add it to my own, seems even just trying to play it is an issue as the media players we have don't like the file format!??

I have to convert it to MP4 so I can upload it to U-tube.

Hoping to have that done VERY soon.

Trust me, this video is to good not to share.

My Mother cannot understand the Rolls is for HER, she thinks its a hire car for the day,....

Like I said, hilarity ensues,....

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 198
Posted on Thursday, 02 January, 2020 - 11:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Ok, about 10 mins ago I dropped into Bunnings and got me a tin of enamel thinners and some more micro fibre cloths,....

I got them to clean the pots and piston on the Su's,...

I want to get that little job done this weekend as its been put off so many times,...

Then I can play with my new Dial gauges,...

Lets start the new year off right!

Graham.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2252
Posted on Thursday, 02 January, 2020 - 17:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In case you don't know, do not mix the carb parts between one another.

Trevor Hodgekinson
Experienced User

Post Number: 135
Posted on Thursday, 02 January, 2020 - 19:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I clean about 20 grubby carbs a week ( on lawnmowers ) .
Over the time I have been doing this I have found that old varnished fuel is best removed using a soda blaster.
In fact they get a soda blast inside & out then a dip in the ultrasound.
Come out like new.
You can make a cheap soda blaster from an air duster and a plastic bottle ( instructions on You tube ).
One of the best tools I have ever made.
Good for cleaning brake parts as well except they git a dip in some boiling water then a blow dry.
Excellent for removing vertigrease from plugs & switches as well.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2254
Posted on Thursday, 02 January, 2020 - 20:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Trevor that sounds good, the chain saws carbs are as bad as lawn mowers when left not used for months.
never had this with the old fuel years ago.
I have moved to batt electric powered saws when possible
will check out the soda blaster.

Trevor Hodgekinson
Experienced User

Post Number: 137
Posted on Friday, 03 January, 2020 - 08:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

One of my biggest regrets is that it took so long for me to give it a try.
I bought a box of air duster years ago cheap at auction so just by chance I had some with a 30 deg down bend on the tube
This works well because the bend tends to keep the bottle vertical.
In use the bottle partially pressurizes so before you back off the trigger you need to invert the bottle to prevent massive shot of soda a the bottle depressurizes.
I put a dab of hot melt glue either end to hold the bottle in place.

Have not tried it with basting soda yet as I bought a bag of animal feed soda ( cheap bastard I am ) for a trial and am only 1/2 way through it.
Blasting soda is bigger grains than animal feed soda so supposedly it does not cake as easily and removes crud faster.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 574
Posted on Friday, 03 January, 2020 - 09:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I use soda blast for delicate parts. Cleans off only the dirt and does not hurt the finish. Use can buy a handheld blaster that is usually used for small sandblast work. You will find it very handy.

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 200
Posted on Saturday, 04 January, 2020 - 18:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well here I am doing the pots on Camilla's SU's,...

I've cleaned the right side and taking video,...

I have my LED work light to provide light for the camera.

This self clamps to the bonnet and as I am doing the left side the battery runs out.

So now its on charge, this will be its first charge since I got it new and charged it up.

I've had it for about a year and a half now so a single charge has done well.

And yes, I have used it often.

But back to Camilla.

As you will see the pots were relatively clean all things considered.

I'll post the video later tonight after the light has recharged and I finish.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 201
Posted on Sunday, 05 January, 2020 - 03:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDUrA2oNW7Y

Graham.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User

Post Number: 551
Posted on Sunday, 05 January, 2020 - 06:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nice work Graham, those dash pot pistons were as dirty as I've ever seen, Camilla should be happier after that clean up. When I'm cleaning my carbs I also usually clean out the breather hose & filter between the engine oil filler neck and the air intake above the carbs. Happy motoring.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 202
Posted on Sunday, 05 January, 2020 - 08:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Larry, Tony at UK Motors cleaned the filters and that hose before so I know they are done.

I just needed to get around to cleaning the Dash Pots, Next I'll make sire they are balanced and set the idle and mixtures.....

But at least that's another little job crossed off the list.

Yeah I think she did run better.

Graham.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User

Post Number: 552
Posted on Sunday, 05 January, 2020 - 12:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Graham, the SU HIF7 carb mixtures are set at the factory and a tamper-proof cover is placed over the mixture screw to deter fiddling with them, my advice would be to leave the mixture screws alone unless there's a good reason to go near them. Balancing can be done with dial gauges by loosening the linkage between the 2 carbs and setting them independently to match each other without tampering with the mixture screw. To adjust the mixture screws you would need CO2 exhaust gas analysing equipment and in the unlikely event that it needs to be done the job is probably best left to a professional.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 203
Posted on Sunday, 05 January, 2020 - 20:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Took Camilla out for a run to see how she runs now the pots have been cleaned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkZYX0tfr3E

Graham.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2257
Posted on Sunday, 05 January, 2020 - 21:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just a thought on the bush fire smog,
I take it that the air filter if a paper type would need changing more often?
Have also heard of flying embers being sucked in to the inlet burning the paper filter elements.
One of many advantages with running on LPG, the carbs and engine carbon filth does not pose a problem!

David Gore

Post Number: 3550
Posted on Monday, 06 January, 2020 - 06:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

You are assuming you can still drive your car safely - the reality is you often cannot see the road in front of you due to the intensity of the smoke and this is why too many people are killed as a consequence of leaving it too late to leave and their car stalls due to lack of oxygen in the air, fallen trees block their escape road or they run off the road and cannot get back onto the road; the radiant heat from the fire causes the car to catch fire and the occupants are disabled by the lack of oxygen in the air causing their death [you have to experience being near a bush fire front to realise just how hot and dangerous they are - my heroes are our volunteer bush fire fighters who put their lives on the line every time they face a fire].

Normal smoke, soot and embers will block the air filter over time however the filter element can often be reclaimed by reverse flushing with compressed air. Done this successfully many times over the years.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User

Post Number: 553
Posted on Monday, 06 January, 2020 - 07:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Graham, Have you noticed any improvement at idle and while driving since the carb dashpots have been cleaned? Do you have carb balancing gauges?

Jeff McCarthy
Frequent User

Post Number: 652
Posted on Monday, 06 January, 2020 - 10:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Indeed David, my advice is if there's the slightest danger get yourself, your loved ones and your car out of there as soon as possible. Then don't drive the car in smoky conditions if at all possible. Visibility here is between 50 to 100 metres at best and likely to get worse in an instant.

After 3 days with no electricity, contact with emergency services, access to fuel or any phone connection my partner's mum and sister had 30mins notice to evacuate: they arrived 3 days ago and we learned last night that both their homes are completely destroyed.

Outside the major cities it's hard to understand how fragile some of the infrastructure is. Power lines, phone towers, petrol stations: any of it can go down without warning and people are stranded.

Get safe and stay safe. And don't subject your car to being driven in air you can barely breathe yourself.

Trevor Hodgekinson
Experienced User

Post Number: 138
Posted on Monday, 06 January, 2020 - 11:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff,
Very sorry to hear about the inlaws property but equally glad they are at least out alive & well.
And yes I do understand just how fragile the infrastructure is outside the major capitals.
I have been very vocal complaining about the NBN which has only made things worse because it relies on mains power to be available where as the old landline was battery powered so was to an extent unaffected by grid failures.
This is of course provided the wires are still intact.

When we were in Springwood, hardly a remote area we had to install a generator to power the fridge , computers & phone system as we wold loose power at least once a month for anything up to a week.

Being at Warragamba now there is a generator , water pump & fire pump all of which get used quite regularly, There is also 43,000 litres rain water tank despite being on town water ( most of the time ).

David,
Please do not used compressed air on an air filter unless you have a micro filter & drier on the output.
Compressed air is chockers full of moisture drops, bacteria & such which when blasted into the paper element blow holes right through it.
If you want to back flush a paper element use low pressure air like one of those converted vacuum cleaner spray painters.
Even then it should have a filter on it finer than the filter it is cleaning otherwise you just fill the inside of the filter with the muck from your compressor.
Some equipment retailers will actually clean your old filters.
The construction industry use these services a lot but even then there is a limit to the number of times a dry filter can be cleaned.
The skid steer used to get about 11 cleans before being replaced.

As for radiant heat , yes it s the No 1 killer in bushfires.
If you have a look at the news clips all over the web right now there are a lot of cars sitting out in the open burned out sitting on their hubs because the radiant heat melted the alloy wheels .
If you look at the fire truck being over run by the fire front video , note the driver yelling at the passengers to deploy the fire blanket which is all that prevented the occupants from being literally cooked inside the cab.
At the end of the video is a burned out truck.
Note it is sitting on a gravel road where one could safely assume it has self ignited due to the radiant heat.

The sort of heat that comes off a crowning fire is in the 10's of mega watts / meter. To visualize that, think of a 1000 watt bar heater, now imagine 1000 of them jambed into the surface area of a pallet, That is a megga watt of heat ( actually a little less cause a pallet is not 1 sq meter )
Now you have that in your head imagine 5 to 10 of these pallets stacked vertically and these stacks going on for miles.
That is the heat from a fire front and why you do not get in front of them.
Most of the footage of the fires showing firies hosing down burning tress is actually mopping up after the fire front has gone through.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 204
Posted on Monday, 06 January, 2020 - 13:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Larry, yes I have noticed a bit of improvement in the idle and response when driving,.....

Next will be clean the Dizzy, replace spark plug leads and spark plugs.

I myself have fought a few fires when I lived at Macedon,...

Then there was 'Ash Wendsday' when we lost the house and everything except what we packed when we bugged out.

So yeah Jeff, my condolence's to your family who have lost their home, I can honestly say I have been there unfortunately.

It might take a few days for it to fully register but at least they are with family.

Graham.

David Gore

Post Number: 3551
Posted on Monday, 06 January, 2020 - 20:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Trevor,

I spent 4 years with Atlas Copco in the mid-1980's as a Marketing Engineer for their large oil-free stationary compressors then as Regional Manager for Southern NSW and learnt a lot at that time about their entire range of products and end-use applications.

I have a 3.6kW single phase workshop compressor fitted with appropriate water, oil and dust filters, a large aluminium pressure vessel to efficiently cool the hot air from the compressor thus condensing the water vapour and a reliable regulator together with a comprehensive range of air tools [I have always preferred air tools to electric/battery tools as they are more controllable and do not burn out when overloaded].

I have never had any problems such as you mentioned when rejuvenating paper air filters; just a simple practice of using the right tool, right pressure and the right technique for dislodging the accumulated dust/fibrous matter from the element [always blow at 90 degrees onto the clean side of the element, never blow down the element "grooves" to push the muck on the dirty side off the element and, above all, be patient].

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 217
Posted on Sunday, 19 January, 2020 - 16:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Ok,...

I've cleaned the Dizzy and rotor button, given Camilla a polish,....

And after having cleaned the dash-pots she is now ready for a big trip next weekend.

Oh, and I hope the price of fuel comes down very soon.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 222
Posted on Sunday, 26 January, 2020 - 08:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,.....

Larry, I haven't had a chance as yet to see to the leak, it only seems to show if the engine get really hot, above normal.

Even though yesterday was 28-30degC Camilla kept her cool.

I will get it redone but fortunately its not a major crack just a micro crack at this point and when it gets hot enough it must open enough to leak.

Basicly, enough to be annoying!

;)

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 223
Posted on Sunday, 26 January, 2020 - 08:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

HEY!

What just happened to my post I made last night,.... its gone!

Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot!!!

Graham.

No problem Graham - they have just been transferred them to a new topic in Idler Chatter which is more appropriate to non-technical content. I was about to send you a PM advising what I had done.

There is a Forum Topic for R-R/B Club events but nothing for individual owners/custodians to detail their personal travels until now .

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 224
Posted on Sunday, 26 January, 2020 - 08:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,.....

Ok, I see what just happened.

As I was replying to Larry's post, David has moved the last 2 posts,...

Its ok I found them.

Whew!

I thought my laptop was playing games with me again,.....

Did I ever mention how the universe conspires against me,...

Oh and on the trip we just took there was a knocking noise from the rear left hand side when you went over larger undulations in the road or negotiated right bends in the road,....

I was thinking worn damper bushes but on closer inspection of the rear I noticed the exhaust tip had a clean spot on it, it seems it is touching the rear quarter as its able to move around quite a bit.

I think one of the exhaust mounts or hangers may need my attention to align the pipes back up and secure them as the movement is somewhat loose.

Graham.

David Gore

Post Number: 3563
Posted on Sunday, 26 January, 2020 - 10:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham,

Check the rubber "O-ring" hangers around the location of the rear muffler - they have probably never been changed for some time or have disappeared completely.

Had a similar problem with DRH14434 that disappeared when I replaced all the rubber exhaust "hangers" in one go.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 225
Posted on Sunday, 26 January, 2020 - 11:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

That's exactly what I was thinking David.

I'm gonna need a new hanger,... I can use the good old 'coat hanger' for now if needed!

Graham.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User

Post Number: 567
Posted on Sunday, 26 January, 2020 - 13:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It's important to get that rad leak fixed because if air is drawn in through the solder crack it can make its way to the cylinder wet liners and any air bubbles there can cause cavitation or hot spots which could lead to more serious trouble later.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 226
Posted on Monday, 27 January, 2020 - 14:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,.....

Yesterday I went out to run some errands and while I was out I got a couple of rubber exhaust hangers.

I'll see about them tomorrow when its cooler.

Graham.

David Gore

Post Number: 3564
Posted on Monday, 27 January, 2020 - 15:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham,

Waiting with heart palpitations hoping the news will be good afterwards...........

Just hoping there is no hidden corrosion in the exhaust system reducing its inherent strength and rigidity to cause the vibration.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 227
Posted on Tuesday, 04 February, 2020 - 12:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,.....

Well I just about had a hart attack this morning,....

I inquired about getting the NGK GR4IX iridium plugs for my Camilla,....

They have not been released here yet but the previous iridiums are here and only at $256.00 A SET!!

Are they kidding me!??

Can somebody get me a price for the plugs in the US?

Graham.

Richard Greene
Experienced User

Post Number: 183
Posted on Tuesday, 04 February, 2020 - 13:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That company is a ripoff!

The plugs on the NGK website are ONLY $6.99 per plug! They are really nothing special!

https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9773

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 228
Posted on Tuesday, 04 February, 2020 - 15:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Thanks Richard.

Yeah I thought they were around that but even in AUD the previous iridium plugs were $33.00+ EACH!

I might get a mate 'over there' to get me a set and post them to me.

Graham.

David Gore

Post Number: 3574
Posted on Tuesday, 04 February, 2020 - 15:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham,

These are available from Amazon USA [you have to quote a US ZIP Code to get these prices - try 28792 which is Henderson, North Carolina] - the USA listing has 6 and 8 packs available [6 pack USD50, 8 pack USD68]

Just search Amazon USA for the following item:

NGK Iridium IX Spark Plug GR4IX (8 Pack) for DODGE W150 S 1991-1991 5.9L/360

Peter Maclaren
Experienced User
Username: ludo

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, 04 February, 2020 - 16:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham, be careful buying from Amazon.
About a year ago I bought 8 plugs for my Bentley Turbo R and one failed in a matter of months. I was attracted by the cost being considerably less than here in NZ. I replaced it with one fron 'Supercheap' at around $30.00.
I have been reading that Amazon have been selling counterfeit NGK plugs just google NGK fake plugs. I have replaced the whole set in my car with the platinum plugs that were in there before. A close examinatiom of the plugs from Amazon showed the differences between the genuine and copies and it indicated that mine are a mixture of both.

Trevor Hodgekinson
Experienced User

Post Number: 150
Posted on Wednesday, 05 February, 2020 - 12:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Amazon is not a retailer
It is a warehousing & logistics company that lists good for sale from 3rd parties.
Thus if I buy 1,000,000 fake plugs and list them on Amazon, it is me that is selling them not Amazon so when they are found to be fake it is me that has to be prosecuted, if you can find me.
It is the prefect platform for selling parts rejected by QC & purchased at scrap metal prices as "OEM parts" " Fits all Shadow Series "
Note they never mention that they actually work.

David Gore

Post Number: 3576
Posted on Wednesday, 05 February, 2020 - 13:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Trevor,

What you are saying effectively is the USA doesn't have consumer protection laws that would apply to misrepresentation and sale of defective products?

Trevor Hodgekinson
Experienced User

Post Number: 151
Posted on Thursday, 06 February, 2020 - 03:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

USA consumer laws are the weakest on the planet.
Things like lawnmower parts come with a 60 or 90 day warranty and it will vary state to state.
The same part from the same wholesaler sold in OZ comes with a 12 month warranty.
Just so long as the advertisement does not tell a lie and say it is "top quality" they are free to sell defective goods and do so .
I get dozens of people through the gate who have bought a defective carb off either Amazon & Ebay.
The amount of effort that the authorities take against a vendor is very much dependent upon the nationality of the vendor.
I would get pilloried and prosecuted . Mr Lowe would get a "your being a naughty boy Walter, stop selling them ".
The biggest problem is the appathy of the public.
Do you know any one who has left negative feedback on Ebay ?
I have done it hundreds of times to the point that a lot of vendors have banned me . This is good because they are the shonks that I don't want to purchase from.

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 619
Posted on Thursday, 06 February, 2020 - 23:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all serves me right for reading this post, started my car up and the alternator sounded like an angry lion lol.
Now at reconditioning shop for new bearings. Am I allowed to say where?

Cheers Mike

michael vass
Frequent User

Post Number: 620
Posted on Friday, 07 February, 2020 - 04:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi again ,new bearings fitted can't believe how much smoother it is now and didn't notice before.
Mike

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 230
Posted on Friday, 07 February, 2020 - 15:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Great news Michael, hope it didn't cost very much,..?

Graham.

michael vass
Frequent User

Post Number: 621
Posted on Friday, 07 February, 2020 - 18:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

£30 inc vat lol ,that was just for bearings only ok

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 231
Posted on Saturday, 08 February, 2020 - 19:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well today I replaced the reverse light globes.

The left hand side globe had blown.

While I was there I cleaned all the globes and gave their contacts a wetting with WD40 including the socket contacts,...

I also cleaned the lens's.

And all reassembled,...

And my Mother put personalised HER space,....

Next job the exhaust hangers tomorrow.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 232
Posted on Friday, 14 February, 2020 - 12:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,.....

Dose anyone have the Ryco part numbers for the rotor button- Distributor cap- ignition leads?

When I get the plugs I'll replace them all together.

Graham.

David Gore

Post Number: 3578
Posted on Friday, 14 February, 2020 - 15:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Grahame,

Did the new exhaust hangars fix your mysterious "knocking"??

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 233
Posted on Friday, 14 February, 2020 - 19:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,.....

Did'nt qet the chance last weekend but will tomorrow to do the exhaust.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 234
Posted on Monday, 17 February, 2020 - 11:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Yesterday I went to the Ballan vintage vehicle and tractor pull.

Got in for free because I displayed Camilla!

Parked next to the Ballarat British Car club, and had just about everyone looking there come over to see Camilla.

Not the usual sort you'd see at a country fair,...

Felt a little run down this weekend so didn't get to do the exhaust hangers.

I only left the house to go to the show.

Will have to do it this coming weekend.

It's been put off long enough.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 237
Posted on Sunday, 08 March, 2020 - 07:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well I have a set of GR4IX iridium plugs on the way for Camilla.

Should arrive end of next week.

Just in time for a trip on the 15th.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 238
Posted on Wednesday, 11 March, 2020 - 14:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,.....

Well I just found out Camilla's replacement alternator should be at UK Motors by end of the week.

Things are coming together,....

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 240
Posted on Tuesday, 17 March, 2020 - 19:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Camilla's new spark plugs arrived today.

GR4IX

All ready to finish her ignition system.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 246
Posted on Tuesday, 31 March, 2020 - 11:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWy7W64tW-o

Nuff said!

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 247
Posted on Wednesday, 01 April, 2020 - 22:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Camilla's alternator has arrived.

Now just need to arrange the time.

Graham.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User

Post Number: 612
Posted on Thursday, 02 April, 2020 - 06:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

lovely cat but cat's claws and paint or upholstery don't mix well

Patrick Francis
Frequent User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 329
Posted on Thursday, 02 April, 2020 - 16:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Amazing how a simple job like cleaning the lenses can transform one’s unconscious opinion on a car. Bright lights and indicators give it a fresh appearance.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 255
Posted on Monday, 27 April, 2020 - 19:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Dropped Camilla off Sat just gone to have her alternator changed over.

Will collect her later all fit and healthy again.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 256
Posted on Thursday, 30 April, 2020 - 13:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Ok, this Sat I am collecting Camilla.

Replacement alternator is done, then I go on a little drive to go collect new plug leads - Dizzy cap - Rotor button.

Should give me something to do Sunday.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 299
Posted on Sunday, 30 August, 2020 - 16:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well today I had a go at changing the spark plugs on the A bank,....

Got the first two done,...

My hands are to big so I can't get the rear two.

Just got the last two plugs to change out and then the new plug leads and all done.

Heck I think I'll just pay Tony to do the last two plugs and the leads,...

Camilla has been sitting in the workshop for to long.

Anyone want to earn a quick couple hundred to change two plugs and a set of leads,....?

Graham.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 638
Posted on Sunday, 30 August, 2020 - 21:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A bank is a breeze, wait until you attempt B bank

David Gore

Post Number: 3772
Posted on Sunday, 30 August, 2020 - 21:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham,

From one with big hands to another; try pushing a short length [approx 150mm/6inches] of garden hose over the spark plug ceramic insulator and use the flexibility of the hose to line up the plug with the cylinder head thread and gently twist the plug using the hose until the plug thread starts to engage in the head.

Don't force it to avoid cross-threading. If apprehensive, practice using this technique on a petrol lawn mower cylinder or easily accessible car cylinder head until you get the technique right.

You certainly will need this technique when replacing the B3 and B4 plugs under the hydraulic fluid reservoir as mentioned above by Robert.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 300
Posted on Tuesday, 01 September, 2020 - 23:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

I've done the drivers side, had to remove the air intake ducting plus the cold air duct for the exhaust manifold.

Dropped a nut and my 11mm spanner, neither made it to the floor so they are down there somewhere,....

Did the front two plugs on passenger side but for the life of me I cannot get to the back two plugs,...

Will have to take the easy way out, (pay someone to do it!)

And just need to put the new plug leads on and thats the ignition system done.

I even have a full size NEW battery I replaced the smaller battery with I had to get when the battery that was in her when I got her died.

Graham.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 639
Posted on Wednesday, 02 September, 2020 - 00:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That cold air duct is fastened with 7/16 nuts. There is no metric here FYI.

There is a chance that offering your car to a mechanic will open the door to the possibility of cross threading the rear plugs.

You can either be patient and do it yourself and save money and aggravation or cast your fate to the wind..

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 693
Posted on Wednesday, 02 September, 2020 - 03:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham, hit the rat trap cover with your hand; if there is a rattle, your spanner may be laying in it ! Has happened to me twice ! Only about 20 self tappers to get the cover off.
I use a long uj extension to loosen the rear 2 plugs and then turn them out using a piece of hose as David suggests. My son found changing these 2 on his Shadow 1 and Early Spirit easier if he sat on the engine !
Mark

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 303
Posted on Sunday, 06 September, 2020 - 18:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well today I found that lost 11mm nut.

Also I found my missing 11mm spanner, it was sitting on the steering rack.

I then proceeded to put Camilla back together.

After putting the air ducting back I had to remove the air duct for the exhaust to give me the room to fit the new air filter.

All back together,....

And she idles better from dead cold with the new plugs and air filter.

Yes it was noticeable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OYIHt6kYWQ

Graham.

Mark Herbstreit
Frequent User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 215
Posted on Sunday, 06 September, 2020 - 21:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Graham,
there is an oil pressure cut out on the fuel pumps. If my shad has been sitting for months I have been known to pull the lead off the oil pressure switch to get the fuel pressure up. Takes a bit of pressure off the starter ( I did notice you have a replacement gear reduction starter). Also when she did fire the idle was low. Not convinced the choke was set. Did you depress the pedal fully before starting? I kick my high idle off soon after a cold start. Also be really careful with that gear lever it is so easy to knock into gear when playing around.
I pulled My shad out yesterday for a garage shuffle (can’t do much else in Melbourne), and noticed a fuel leak from the base of the right Hif7. Sigh, another job to do.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 304
Posted on Sunday, 06 September, 2020 - 22:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,.....

Mark, No I did'nt activate the choke by putting the pedal all the way down.

That is interesting about the cut out on the fuel pump, well you learn something new every day.

Yes Camilla dose have the gear reduction starter, was put in by previous guardian.

I put the low idle at the start down to it fired mostly on vapor as the float bowls were still filling.

Sorry to hear about your leak but I guess these girls like their attention. ;)

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 310
Posted on Sunday, 27 September, 2020 - 12:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well today I put the air intake ducting on the CORRECT way.

Not sure why nobody picked up on it but I had it the wrong way around.

Pictures to come.

I also took Camilla out for a run, at first I thought I had lost the brakes!

I could almost put the brake peddle all the way down.

And the 1 & 2 brake warning lights never came on.

Then I remembered how different the brake peddle feels on the Shadow.

I took Camilla for a 30 min run around the area, came home, gave her a wash and will do another run later this afternoon.

Surprisingly since I only had the fan on low the Amps gauge stayed above zero.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 311
Posted on Sunday, 27 September, 2020 - 18:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzJzaXc9V-k

Graham.

Alan Dibley
Frequent User

Post Number: 259
Posted on Sunday, 27 September, 2020 - 18:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"I could almost put the brake peddle all the way down."

Looks like the master cylinder (if there is one) needs bleeding or throwing away.

If there isn't a master cylinder then it's off with the rat-trap cover and read the book.

Alan D.

Mark Herbstreit
Frequent User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 216
Posted on Sunday, 27 September, 2020 - 19:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No master cylinder on the Shadow II Alan. Might be time for a brake pump down test. Run the engine for a few minutes. Switch off engine. Turn ignition back on but don't start. Start pumping brake pedal and count pumps before warning lights come on. Less than ten and it might be time for a sphere overhaul. The pressure switches are not highly calibrated.
Remember there is no mechanical link between the brake pedal and the brakes. The handbrake won't help you!

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 312
Posted on Monday, 28 September, 2020 - 19:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well on the run the brakes worked just fine!

Even did an emergency stop just to confirm.

Can lock the wheels up without very much effort.

I think because its been so long since I have driven Camilla I lost the feel of her peddle compared to my daily driver.

But yeah, just for the safety I'll do a pump down test this weekend.

last time I did that test after I got her home it took something really silly like 70+ pumps to get the warning lights to come on.

I have to say I am impressed with how good her brakes are. Tony has been through the brake system when he changed the hydraulic fluid and cleaned the tank and filters etc,....

Last job I have outstanding re brakes is to change the rear disc pads and its ALL done.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 313
Posted on Monday, 28 September, 2020 - 19:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Forgot to ask,...

Re the fuel pump,.. while I was starting Camilla the other weekend I mentioned I could hear the fuel pump click/ticking,...

It was clicking at a rate of one click 3/4 to 1 second.

Is that the normal rate?

Graham.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2374
Posted on Tuesday, 29 September, 2020 - 06:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Float needle valve stuck open momentarily, any sign of petrol from the float over flow tube on either carb.
One of the pumps diaphragm holed.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 315
Posted on Saturday, 10 October, 2020 - 07:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Yesterday was my last day of work, so i took Camilla to work to give her some exercise.

I am now on five weeks annual leave.

I think Camilla is gonna get a polishing like she has never had before in her life in the next weeks,....

Graham.

David Gore

Post Number: 3800
Posted on Saturday, 10 October, 2020 - 08:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham,

I always used Meguiars Yellow Wax on DRH14434 on advice from my car restoration US mate and can vouch for the quality and performance of this product.

You will have immense pride with the deep gloss finish that results from its use.

https://www.meguiars.com/professional/products/meguiars-mirror-glaze-hi-tech-yellow-wax-m2616-16-oz-liquid

Here is a photo to give you an idea of the finish you get with this product:

DRH14434

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 319
Posted on Wednesday, 21 October, 2020 - 21:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well Camilla has had a wash and a polish the last few days.

Tomorrow I'll give her another coat of polish.

Mind you this last week I've been using her as my daily driver.

Just made sure I was back home before dark as I still have that charging issue to deal with but boy is she fun to drive.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 320
Posted on Friday, 23 October, 2020 - 10:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Just sourced a new battery box (complete) for Camilla.

Now doing 'Happy Dance'.

Graham.

Hubert Kelly
Frequent User

Post Number: 406
Posted on Saturday, 24 October, 2020 - 07:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Happy days Graham, did you ever get the alternator sorted

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 321
Posted on Saturday, 24 October, 2020 - 10:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Nah,...

This C-19 farce happened just at that time.

Have'nt been able to take it back yet to be seen to. Can't wait to get it sorted though.

Next job will be to get an air dam for her.

Then just have the veneer and ride leveling system to re-connect/fix and ALL done.

Graham.

Jeff McCarthy
Frequent User

Post Number: 677
Posted on Sunday, 25 October, 2020 - 15:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Graham,
Not sure if you got my DMs. Aircon ducts are yours. Just email me with a postal address. jefmac2003@yahoo.co.uk :-)

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 322
Posted on Sunday, 25 October, 2020 - 15:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Thanks Jeff, just checked E-mail and sent you my reply.

I'd be happy to pay for the postage.

Thank you.

---------------------------------------

Just gave Camilla another coat of polish.

Its raining today and I have to go out tomorrow so I hope it dose'nt rain tomorrow.

But knowing my luck,....

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 332
Posted on Tuesday, 17 November, 2020 - 19:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Camilla's new battery box has arrived.

I just got to go get it now.

With luck this will be a trip for us Saturday.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 333
Posted on Friday, 20 November, 2020 - 14:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Gonna go get Camilla's new battery box tomorrow!

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 350
Posted on Sunday, 17 January, 2021 - 13:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well today After a few weeks I started Camilla.

I had the bonnet up and this time I pressed the accelerator and held it own for a few seconds, even as I released it I can see the lever for the butterfly valve move down.

When I cranked her over she fired up in just on a full revolution.

Still initially ran rough at the start till the fuel bowls filled up but fired up faster than ever before.

I did find a little something though,...

On the passenger side I notice the air duct was'nt snugly aligned.

You can see the gap, looks like the duct itself is a little deformed,...

The drivers side,...

Tuns out the strap holding it together is broken, its been bound together with electrical tape.

Guess I'll need to replace these retainer straps.

Graham.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2247
Posted on Sunday, 17 January, 2021 - 16:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Best to re-seat the duct as it will be blowing fumes from the engine bay into the passenger compartment when the blower fan is on.

I cut strips from a 1/8" rubber sheet to re-make the straps on my car.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 351
Posted on Sunday, 17 January, 2021 - 16:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Is it still possible to get those straps?

Or is getting them now limited to sourcing them from a wrecker?

Graham.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 671
Posted on Sunday, 17 January, 2021 - 22:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The straps are made by Pirelli. They are seat webbing rubber and can be found in upholstery shops, but you have to trim the material. The strap is a composite of rubber and fabric.

John Rowney
Experienced User
Username: johnrowney

Post Number: 97
Posted on Monday, 18 January, 2021 - 17:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham
I had similar problems with the strap holding the jack equipment in the boot for my 1978 Corniche DRH32489. I bought a replacement strap from Flying Spares for something like GBP70 about 5 years ago. Obviously it was old stock and broke about 8 weeks ago. I went to Clark Rubber and got some strapping which I cut to size and made up a new strap using the old fittings. I am sure Clark Rubber still has stores in Victoria.
Cheers. John

JohnKilkenny
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 101.181.47.250
Posted on Monday, 18 January, 2021 - 14:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham,
Clark Rubber will have the rubber strip required.
I used it for my straps.
John

(Message approved by david_gore)

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 353
Posted on Saturday, 23 January, 2021 - 17:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well I for the first time since i have taken guardianship of Camilla have for the first time opened her fuse box.

WOW!

Not like i have seen before and yes there have been pictures posted in this forum but I can't remember any that looked like Camilla's,....

First, I don't remember any picture showing a fuse box that has its own light!

And the lid has its own straps!

It seems as though the left hand retainer was'nt locked quite right on Camilla so I think I just got rid of an occasional rattle that was on the left hand side,....

Kind of reminds me of working on aircraft systems,...

I noticed there is one fuse missing from the spare fuse holder and I do love how a lot of the longer fuse's have the Gold labels on them,...

Keep in mind Camilla was made for the home market so may be why her fuse box looks different, at least to me.

Graham

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 360
Posted on Tuesday, 09 February, 2021 - 16:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,.....

Fixed Camilla's Exhaust Hanger,...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvckbtpqEJM

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 361
Posted on Tuesday, 16 February, 2021 - 12:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well today I cleaned Camilla's exhaust tips,...

Yep,.. I even cleaned INSIDE the pipe!

(Ted Bullpit is my hero!)

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 362
Posted on Sunday, 28 February, 2021 - 18:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well today I washed Camilla in the morning and let her dry,...

Then I put on some polish,....

I then went and had lunch,...

Came back couple hours later and buffed off the passenger side,....

Then hit the top roll with saddle soap,....

I then closed up the gap between the air intake ducting where the baffle is,...

Union rules dictated I down tools at this point,....

(I was being supervised by my union rep,...)

I'll buff off the drivers side tomorrow.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 363
Posted on Monday, 01 March, 2021 - 21:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Well buffed off the polish,...

Nice and sparkling and shiny,...

I need ot get another of these caps for the spring tower,...

Also this switch is loose,...

Do I need to fit an O-ring to hold it in,....

It dose'nt fall out, it just moves easy.

Graham.

Glen Poolen
Frequent User
Username: wgipps

Post Number: 267
Posted on Thursday, 04 March, 2021 - 18:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

?

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2424
Posted on Thursday, 04 March, 2021 - 20:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

First buy a good screwdriver, by the state of the screw heads.

Remove the temp sensor and fit new.
Cannot under stand why it has been fiddled with as the gasket has been replaced!

Bit of a silly picture if you need help to locate an item-----cat and mouse!
All that glitters is not gold!

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 370
Posted on Thursday, 18 March, 2021 - 21:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Tonight I replaced Camilla's fuel sender unit.

The fuel tank is VERY clean!

New unit installed.

The original unit.

The float has a dent in it,....

The metal float was half full of fuel, there is

a very small crack in the fold on the dent,....

It looks as if the problem is with the float

sinking so I'll fix it as I'll keep the

original sender as a spare.

Oh, and the new units float is 'plastic'!

sigh,....

I'll see if it works tomorrow as I have to go

out.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 371
Posted on Friday, 19 March, 2021 - 17:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

YES!

Fuel gauge WORkS!!!!

All ready for trip to Yarra Valley Sunday.

Graham.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User

Post Number: 765
Posted on Friday, 19 March, 2021 - 21:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Happy travels.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 372
Posted on Saturday, 27 March, 2021 - 23:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Ok,...

I was cleaning the top roll with saddle soap and there is/was a small spot that was slightly darker than the rest.

You know how leather has that wet look and go's darker in that spot?

Well as I cleaned it the color came off and it has gone lighter like somebody has put that liquid shoe polish that you apply with a sponge on it to cover it,....

I was wondering if I should use brown Kiwi shoe polish to match it,....?

What do you think?

Graham.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 679
Posted on Sunday, 28 March, 2021 - 01:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You basically removed the color coat on the leather and what you see is the leather itself.. The leather is only top coated and not dyed.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 373
Posted on Sunday, 28 March, 2021 - 10:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,.....

But it only happened where it was wet looking,....

Id say somebody has tried to cover it, my cleaning it has removed their attempted repair.

The saddle soap has'nt effected the rest,....

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 374
Posted on Sunday, 28 March, 2021 - 13:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well I am going to have to look at getting an oil filter for Camilla's next service so Where is everyone in Australia getting their oil filters from?

Got the part number?
Thanks.

Graham.

Trevor Hodgekinson
Frequent User

Post Number: 234
Posted on Sunday, 04 April, 2021 - 15:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I used Leatherique to repair the top coat on the hire cars and can attest their products are top notch.
hard bit is to get the right colour
We had one car with magnolia leather and it took a few attempts to get the fades magnolia colour right.
They used to be in Lindfield NSW no idea where they are now.
All of their stuff wa really good if not a bit on the pricey side.

David Gore

Post Number: 3908
Posted on Sunday, 04 April, 2021 - 18:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Trevor,

Saddle makers and horse industry suppliers are a good source for Leatherique as are custom motorbike shops.

I used to buy Leatherique from a nearby saddler in the Sutherland Shire for DRH14434.

Highly recommend their products based on my experience.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 379
Posted on Tuesday, 06 April, 2021 - 20:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Today I picked up a new air dam, 2 new gaskets for the fuel sender unit and an oil filter.

Ready to do a few jobs soon.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 381
Posted on Friday, 09 April, 2021 - 19:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Wednesday I had to go out to do a few jobs,....

That took me close to my main place I get all my filters etc,...

So I dropped in with the new filter for Camilla and asked if they had its matching filter?

They checked the part # and could'nt come up with a match but a brief search found a close match with a SAKURA filter.

SAKURA make filters for Caterpillar.

They only had one in stock in Victoria at another store so they shipped it over.

I went in today and its an exact match, and HALF the price!

But it dose'nt finish there.

The SAKURA filter has a cross match with the Ryco filters: Z113

Also the SAKURA filter is slightly heavier than the Prestige Parts filter.

I'll take photo's of them tomorrow.

Graham.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 681
Posted on Friday, 09 April, 2021 - 20:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would not jump at a filter that fits the dimensions.
The purpose of an oil filter is to filter your oil. Stick with a filter designed for YOUR application, which is not a truck.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 382
Posted on Saturday, 10 April, 2021 - 02:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Well I would'nt say I'm "jumping" at (any) a filter but finding a comparable filter I can get locally and if I can get that cheaper without a loss in quality then I'd say thats a win.

And maybe this info can help others,....

Just looking at the SAKURA filter shows me its built better.

Graham.

Trevor Hodgekinson
Frequent User

Post Number: 238
Posted on Saturday, 10 April, 2021 - 13:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

All that is really important for a filter is the micron size of the media. the surface area of the filter media
The absence or presence of a anti-drain back valve and the pressure setting of the bypass valve
After that is has to be able to seal on the machined surface .
Once upon a time filter makers used to publish all of that information .
Now days it is kept secret and all you get told is "fits XYZ vehicle" or "replaces ABC filter "
OTOH unless you replace the filter every month the cost of a filter amortised over the time it is fitted for is neglegible.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 383
Posted on Saturday, 10 April, 2021 - 14:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Next I'll have to get my hands on a Ryco Z113

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 385
Posted on Monday, 12 April, 2021 - 16:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Spent some time yesterday arvo going over Camilla's bright work with cream cleanser to make her bright and sparkly,...

Might have spent a little extra time on the lady at the front who leads the way,...

But who dose'nt love caressing a good women,..?

Still have the front and grill to do.

This arvo I am giving her yet another coat of polish.

Who dose'nt love a bright girl?

Graham.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: