Blower Motors Relay & Fuse Location ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Blower Motors Relay & Fuse Location (Shadow II) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Greene
Experienced User
Username: benzjag

Post Number: 154
Posted on Saturday, 27 July, 2019 - 04:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm still trying to find the blower motors fuse as indicated in the attached PDF from the factory manual. I do not see the fuse on my 78 & 79 Shadow II. Could you guys check your Shadow II to see if you can locate it? If so, could you send a pic of it?

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/30/Fuel_Filler_FuseboxFig-15081.pdf

Thanks in advance!

Richard

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 479
Posted on Saturday, 27 July, 2019 - 05:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There is a small plastic(bakelite?) box with a thumbscrew to hold the cover down located precisely as indicated in the illustration. Under the cover are 2 glass fuses

Richard Greene
Experienced User

Post Number: 155
Posted on Saturday, 27 July, 2019 - 07:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert,

Could you shoot a pic of yours? I just went out to the shop and just do not see the fuse cover!

Richard

Richard Greene
Experienced User

Post Number: 157
Posted on Monday, 29 July, 2019 - 01:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is what I have (instead of the fuses under the plastic cover) on my 3 USA Shadows II (78,78, & 79). I'm wondering if the US delivered cars are different? Any comments on the substitution found on my cars appreciated.

Thanks!

Richard

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2891
Posted on Monday, 29 July, 2019 - 01:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

I have not had time yet to see if there is any difference in this regard between SRH33576 and LRK37110, but, the following document may prove of help to you:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B61gLtsXt4oqT01oVDU0YUxmYTA

Brian

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 480
Posted on Monday, 29 July, 2019 - 02:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Looks like someone replaced the original with a circuit breaker. The terminals are a dead giveaway.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 481
Posted on Monday, 29 July, 2019 - 02:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

another pic fan fuseblock

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2892
Posted on Monday, 29 July, 2019 - 05:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert Sprauer's photos tell the tale, but since I just took a set, I'll post them as well.

fuse holder

cover 1

cover 2

This little exercise has cleared up a bit of a mystery with regard to SRH33576 as well. There has been a fuse holder with a modern ATC fuse that goes between the yellow wire and brown with white tracer wire ever since I bought the car. The OEM fuse holder block is no longer present at all. I often wondered how that came to be where it is, and now I know it was someone's replacement of that fuse holder.

Brian

Richard Greene
Experienced User

Post Number: 158
Posted on Monday, 29 July, 2019 - 07:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Robert & Brian! Mystery indeed solved. I sincerely appreciate your photos! What is odd is 3 former owners in various parts of the US replaced the fuse with the circuit breaker on my cars! One did not know the other one!

Now on to finding out why my blower fans will suddenly stop working, but will instantly come back on if I turn the switch to off then back on! What do your guys think? Could the breaker be flipping off, then back on or perhaps the relay is on its way out?

Richard

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2893
Posted on Monday, 29 July, 2019 - 07:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

Check to see the rating on those circuit breakers (which can get wonky with age).

According to the documentation these should be 20 Amp. I know that in SRH33676 a 20 Amp fast blow fuse would blow when, in my opinion, it should not have. I bumped up the fuse to, in this case, 30 Amp and monitored things carefully for a very long while. I have not suffered any overheating wire, etc. I can't recall if I tried 25 Amp or not, as it's been years since this was done.

I think this is the one and only time I have ever changed out a fuse to one above the originally recommended rating, but I became really frustrated by the blowing of the 20 Amp fuse where no root cause could be determined. I didn't pull out the fuse that's actually in place in LRK37110, and it's definitely not the Bulgin original and the one that would be in the spare position is long gone, too. I have no idea if what's in there is 20 Amp or not.

It would not surprise me if these other owners were experiencing the same sort of thing that I was and tired of dealing with blown fuses and decided to substitute a self-resetting circuit breaker.

Brian

Richard Greene
Experienced User

Post Number: 159
Posted on Monday, 29 July, 2019 - 11:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks, Brian. As always, this is exactly what I needed. I think I will replace the breaker with a 30 Amp and go ahead & replace the relay since it's easy and inexpensive!

Richard

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2894
Posted on Tuesday, 30 July, 2019 - 05:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As a final note I did go out, remove that fuse holder cover (the easy part, getting that screw aligned to put the cover back, well . . .) and can confirm that the fuse present is a Buss AGC 25.

LRK37110 was, before my custodianship, serviced exclusively by what is now Bentley High Point in NC. It is virtually certain that they are the ones that replaced the OEM Bulgin 20 Amp with this 25 Amp fuse.

This makes me suspect that the original electrical engineering was being very conservative about the fuse and that the actual draw is slightly above 20 Amp in many circumstances.

I do remember that I replaced the inline ATC fuse holder that had been there as things had gotten quite hot at the holder on what had to have been numerous occasions when it had the (20 Amp, I believe, but cannot be certain) fuse that was originally in it.

The holder and wiring around it have been just fine with the 30 Amp. I may now have to try bumping that down to 25 Amp when I get SRH33576 back on the road and monitor what happens.

Brian

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: