1975 Corniche Fuel Filter Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » 1975 Corniche Fuel Filter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Trevor Pickering
Experienced User
Username: commander1

Post Number: 110
Posted on Sunday, 21 July, 2019 - 04:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Could anyone help with an alternative for the fuel filter element in the 1975 Corniche please.
The original were Crosland 444 but are no longer available.

Thanks

trevor

Jim Walters
Frequent User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 257
Posted on Sunday, 21 July, 2019 - 06:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Flying Spares has them. https://www.flyingspares.com/shop/rolls-royce-bentley-shadow-t1-t2-corniche-mpw/fuel-system/filters/main-fuel-filter-cd4299p.html

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2887
Posted on Sunday, 21 July, 2019 - 06:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I will also add that these cars had three fuel filters, the main one referred to here as well as two separate, smaller ones in the fuel lines near to each carb.

Having changed out all of these at one point or another, all I could think was "gross overkill."

Either the one at the back or the two at the front (and those two were in the "more typical" position when other marques are looked at) should have been more than sufficient.

I have spent years trying to find a replacement for the original main/rear filter that did not have to be shipped from the UK, but have never succeeded in locating such. While $32 USD is not a king's ransom by any means, it's still an obscene price for a paper fuel filter (and 2 seals). When you add in shipping it gets painful just because of what it is.

Brian

Mike Thompson
Frequent User
Username: vroomrr

Post Number: 758
Posted on Sunday, 21 July, 2019 - 08:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I doubt my 75 Silver Shadow is typical, but it just has an in line filter that can be bought at any automotive store. Plus my carb came with a inline filter, which I will put on as well. Over kill in my case is a good thing.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2124
Posted on Sunday, 21 July, 2019 - 09:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I remember I replaced my fuel filter a couple of years ago at the same time as the discussion on this forum about finding a substitute filter. Despite many search attempts the final conclusion was, as far as we could tell, there was no substitute. Given this, it looks like FS has had it's own short production run. If this is the case, then $32 is a very reasonable price. It's surprising just how expensive parts are when produced in small amounts. A good example is RR363.

Tie the high production cost with low sales volume and the $32 price is more than justified, in my opinion.

Trevor Pickering
Experienced User
Username: commander1

Post Number: 111
Posted on Sunday, 21 July, 2019 - 16:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for all the help.

I was aware that they could be purchased from FS but was hoping there would be a cheaper alternative.

I do agree with Geoff about the price being justified so I guess I will order one.

many thanks again

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 624
Posted on Sunday, 21 July, 2019 - 19:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

An alternative would be to change the filter assembly to a common type for which filters are easily available https://www.lsengineers.co.uk/metal-fuel-oil-filter-housings.html
However make sure the filters and seals are compatible with Petrol. I have had problems in this area.
Mark

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Sunday, 21 July, 2019 - 23:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Trevor,

I swapped to a racor marine fuel filter like this They are undoubtedly a better filter than the original.

They aren't cheap per se, but they are economical in that they have a big capacity and have the added benefit of being available everywhere.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1167
Posted on Sunday, 21 July, 2019 - 23:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Trevor,

I tried to find a video of a racor fulter separating out water, but here's one with another brand here's one with another brand

I think they all use the same hydrophobic media in the filter. The difference in the Racor is that the water ends up in the bottom to be drained with a little petcock

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 767
Posted on Tuesday, 23 July, 2019 - 17:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK with seeing Mark Aldridge and ross kowalski pictures I am perplexed where the fuel filter is supposed to be, as I said, on mine there is just a standard in line fuel filter. My Fuel pump is not original but a racing pump, (and noisy, like someone rolling dice in their hand amplified).

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2888
Posted on Wednesday, 24 July, 2019 - 13:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike,

Have you looked at the workshop manual, fuel system section?

TSD2476 Silver Shadow and Bentley T "One Series" Workshop Manual - OCR Processed

TSD4200 Silver Shadow II and Bentley T2 Workshop Manual - OCR Processed

For the "One Series" cars, that's Chapter K, and the Rear Fuel Filter info starts on page K3.

I believe the mount point may be slightly different on the one series cars than SRH33576, a home market Shadow II, but here's the rear fuel filter housing, easily visible:

Fuel Filter Housing

Brian

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 772
Posted on Wednesday, 24 July, 2019 - 14:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Brian,
Unless Silver Shadows etc. have an issue with water, it seems a $4.00 inline fuel filter would work. (It has on all American cars I've worked on.)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3395
Posted on Wednesday, 24 July, 2019 - 19:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Water condensation in the fuel tank is easily avoided by keeping the tank full of fuel overnight or on cold days so humid air is kept out of the tank to stop condensation when the air temperature decreases.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 476
Posted on Wednesday, 24 July, 2019 - 20:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The cheap inline filters were designed for mechanical pumps (lo pressure) and will not hold up with the modern electric pumps which run higher pressure.

In due time it will fail...

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 477
Posted on Wednesday, 24 July, 2019 - 21:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wix 33003 inline fuel filter will handle 75psi and at $6 is a good choice.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2889
Posted on Thursday, 25 July, 2019 - 00:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oh, for heaven's sake, fuel filter technology is not particularly "specialized" in regard to cars of the SY era.

There is nothing whatsoever that's high tech, high pressure, or anything else "high" (other than price) about them. They're simple paper filters. The pressure generated by a dual SU fuel pump (or Pierburg rotary vane, too) is not high by any definition of that term in fuel delivery systems.

I will probably end up going the route suggested by Mr. Aldridge at some point in the future. When these cars were first sent out into the world the Crosland 444 was also in common use as a heating oil filter. Given that it has vanished from God's green earth as an easily available service item, I'd rather have a solution where "easily available" is a major part of the choice criteria.

It would be interesting to see if there was an easy "in housing" setup one could configure to allow the use of a commonly available fuel filter while still retaining the original fuel filter housing. Not on my short list, though.

Brian

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1177
Posted on Thursday, 25 July, 2019 - 05:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,

Wow, that Shadow II location is a thousand percent better than on the Shadow cars. On mine it was right next to the fuel tank tucked way up against the unit body "frame".

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3396
Posted on Thursday, 25 July, 2019 - 09:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Have a look at diesel fuel filter assemblies as an alternative - many of these have a water drain tap as a standard feature.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 791
Posted on Saturday, 27 July, 2019 - 14:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike,

I have removed your comment as it is time to "let sleeping dogs rest" and move on to our usual friendly and informative discussions.

I have said what needed to be said and acted accordingly - normal forum interactions have returned and I very much want it to remain this way in future.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: