#2 Help Restore My 1975 Silver Shadow Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » #2 Help Restore My 1975 Silver Shadow « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike Thompson
Frequent User
Username: vroomrr

Post Number: 631
Posted on Wednesday, 12 June, 2019 - 17:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well I have been told to start a new thread because the other is too long.

New Thread

Well I have busted all previous records on this site so a new thread it is. Please put all future comments to this thread here.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 633
Posted on Wednesday, 12 June, 2019 - 17:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To everything I have said on this forum do at your own risk.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 634
Posted on Wednesday, 12 June, 2019 - 17:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In the previous episode of As The Rolls Turns, all the things on the list that needed to be done was finished with lot of your help, thanks to everyone!

We were at at point that my Silver Shadow had finally interior wise about all been finished. And pictures were posted to show the before and afterwards. As:

Rerun 1

Rerun 2

Oh did anyone notice something new about the console?

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Thursday, 13 June, 2019 - 01:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike,

The seats look good.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Thursday, 13 June, 2019 - 01:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike,

Do you need a shifter end?

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 636
Posted on Thursday, 13 June, 2019 - 03:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross I was planning on making a custom knob, but I don't know how it attached. If you could take some close ups of it and the end I would appreciate it.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Thursday, 13 June, 2019 - 11:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike,

Mine is the earlier style that is long and thin. Later it is like a paddle. https://youtu.be/_yY7vhzDuM0?t=115

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Thursday, 13 June, 2019 - 12:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike,

Here's the newer style

https://youtu.be/7tpO_DavBKc?t=144

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 644
Posted on Thursday, 13 June, 2019 - 12:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I forgot to say before, please take lots of pictures of painting your car. Papering, taping, painting. It would be good to know.

And back seats.

back seats

Hubert Kelly
Prolific User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 339
Posted on Friday, 14 June, 2019 - 08:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Looking good Mike

Glen Poolen
Prolific User
Username: wgipps

Post Number: 173
Posted on Friday, 14 June, 2019 - 13:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

ive got a spare cruise control knob but i cant see how it attaches. It may screw but i dont want to force it.

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 627
Posted on Friday, 14 June, 2019 - 13:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It doesn't screw. It's moulded onto the stalk which needs to be replaced entire. The switch is very delicate but can be repaired if you have a steady hand.

The round SET button on the end can be pulled/levered off. The lateral switch is screwed in under the removable (and easily lost) piece of bakelite with the vertical white line - above the word ON in the above photo.

It really is easier to replace the whole lever with a working one.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 647
Posted on Friday, 14 June, 2019 - 16:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is all that is left of the shifter knob (I believe). It was found on an archeological dig through the rotted blue lamb's wool rug mat and rotted carpet full of mold and stank a lot.

I am planing on making one from fiberglass.

knob

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 1147
Posted on Saturday, 15 June, 2019 - 09:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike,

I could probably make a silicone mould of mine if you want, or I could carve a skull from wood with rinestone eyes.

Make your choice and I can send something out

Mark Herbstreit
Prolific User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 200
Posted on Saturday, 15 June, 2019 - 18:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I wish Mike could have swapped project cars at the start with these guys.
https://youtu.be/dsK6O-sWD6k

They would get the body shell (the only bit they kept), and Mike would have had what looked like a reasonable starting point and his desired chrome bumpers.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 648
Posted on Sunday, 16 June, 2019 - 03:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Aw the smell of chrome in the morning.

Mark,
I'm betting it gets pretty bad gas mileage and does not have an air conditioner. A must in Texas. :-)

This one is more of a sleeper car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT4R3hyB1oM

Ross,
What do you use to make a silicone mold, is it like liquid or gel? I use Plaster of Paris, and usually make a wax piece that is to be the product. Then you can put the plaster mold in the oven (around 400 degrees) and drip the wax out then evaporate the rest. Works well for jewelry metal molds or in this case bondo or fiberglass. Using petroleum jelly as the non-stick surface.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 1149
Posted on Sunday, 16 June, 2019 - 08:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike,

For your handle a two part kneaded silicone.

PM me and I'll send it out.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Sunday, 16 June, 2019 - 08:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike,

For your handle a two part kneaded silicone.

PM me and I'll send it out.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User
Username: playtime

Post Number: 128
Posted on Sunday, 16 June, 2019 - 09:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Damn Mike,...

That Shadow gets up and move's!

Pity the paintwork wasn't done so it did look like a 'sleeper'.

Graham.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 653
Posted on Sunday, 16 June, 2019 - 12:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross, Holly Crap Batman, it looks like something that came out of you this morning. :-)

I already have one of those, mine is made of bondo and I cut a piece of hollow tubing from an old BB gun and a big piece of metal is inside. Fits pretty good but looks like crap, and it is heavy, might change gears.

Now that I have used fiberglass (on my sunroof) I will use that. Lite, strong and I can embed decorations into it. But Thanks, I'm good.

shifter

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 1151
Posted on Sunday, 16 June, 2019 - 21:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike,

What you see is a Mold that you can cast urethane or polyester into.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 1152
Posted on Sunday, 16 June, 2019 - 21:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike,

The mould is silicone so you should be able to cast directly into it. If you measured your shift lever you could make a core for that end of the mold and have it all but done in one shot.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 654
Posted on Monday, 17 June, 2019 - 01:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yeah after I posted I thought about it and realized that was just the mold not a prank.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 655
Posted on Monday, 17 June, 2019 - 01:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Right now I am trying to get all the old brake lines etc. off the car. The manual has two accumulators on one side mine has one on each side. And the manual says nothing about having to take off the exhaust to get them out. (That I could find.) I look like I work in a coal mine after working to get them out. Got one so far. Going back into the mine today as well.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3352
Posted on Monday, 17 June, 2019 - 08:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike,

The Shadow I had two accumulators close together on the side of the engine block.

The Shadow II had two separately located accumulators like your car. Thje correct service manual for your car is TSD4200 and not TSD2476 which is for the Shadow I:

http://rrtechnical.info/SY/TSD4200/tsd4200.htm

The Shadow I setup was prone to occasional fires from brake fluid leaking from the accumulator assembly onto the close-by hot exhaust pipe.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 657
Posted on Monday, 17 June, 2019 - 09:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Are you saying mine is a Shadow II (1975), because the shop owner gave me a disk for a Shadow II and nothing seemed to match. Is mine a tweener as we called them at the Parts store. A model in between, and could have any between parts on it (the year before or after, depending on what month it was made).

Larry Kavanagh
Grand Master
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 461
Posted on Monday, 17 June, 2019 - 10:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike, I think yours is a Shadow 11 from somewhere between 1977 and 1980. What's your VIN number which should be stamped on the front suspension turret?

David Gore

Post Number: 3354
Posted on Monday, 17 June, 2019 - 10:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am certain it is a Shadow II for two reasons:

1. It has the US-mandated 5mph crash-resistant front and rear bumper bars.

2. It has the Shadow II accumulator configuration.

I very much doubt it is a "tweener" as US compliance regulations would have effectively banned sale/registration of the car in the US market.

Robert J. Sprauer
Grand Master
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 450
Posted on Monday, 17 June, 2019 - 11:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It's a II guys.
Start with pg 31 and scroll forward. It's all in the data.
http://rrtechnical.info/ChassisNumbers/7RRBChassisNumbersBooklet.pdf

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 659
Posted on Monday, 17 June, 2019 - 12:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I don't know, on page 27 it says
Sliver Shadow I .. 1965 to 1976
Sliver Shadow II.. 1976 to 1980

It says on my door During 4/75
SRD 21318 Standard Saloon, Rolls, North American 1975 model year. Could be a tweener maybe.

Someone know a for sure way to know?

And in the US market there are lots of tweeners. At the parts shop we all the time had to look in the year before or after to match the part they are holding in there hands. It depends on what parts are on hand until they run out, or if they have already ran out they put next years part on (US cars anyway, don't know about RR/B).

Jim Walters
Prolific User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 252
Posted on Monday, 17 June, 2019 - 13:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It's definitely a Shadow I. II's had rack and pinion steering. Some late I's had gas filler in left rear sail panel and accumulators both sides. Lots of Shadow I's had federalized rubber bumpers. Both my 73 and 75 have them.

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

David Gore

Post Number: 3356
Posted on Monday, 17 June, 2019 - 18:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike,

Your chassis number corresponds to the US introduction of emission control regulations and it is my understanding RRMC were producing different versions of the Shadow for different markets depending on their emission and safety standards at this time.

For example,it is my recollection RRMC never delivered 1974 or 1975 models to Australia due to compliance problems with the then recently introduced Australian emission and safety regulations so all cars purchased and delivered here in 1974 and 1975 were supplied as ex-factory stock 1973 models to get around the compliance issue. It is my understanding, the first Australian RRMC vehicles with compliant emission controls were the 1976 models.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 660
Posted on Tuesday, 18 June, 2019 - 01:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Spanish missions in California started outposts established between 1769 and 1833 in today's U.S. State of California. The Franciscan order to evangelize the Native plopped a city, Los Angeles, in a bowl surrounded by high mountains that caused a smog basin. As a result California has continued to be a big pain for the Automotive and Truck industry. Car manufacturers have had to bow to these demands because of the large volume of sales within that state.

As said at the time “I was distressed to learn that the Senate Public Works Committee has voted approval of an air pollution bill that would require that 1975-model cars have a 90 per cent reduction in emissions from 1970 models,” wrote General Motors’ president E.M. Cole to the Senate in September, 1970. “As ‘you may recall, in our meeting Aug. 25 I stated that General Motors does not at this time know how to get production vehicles down to the emission levels that your bill would require for 1975 models, ” he continued. “Accomplishment of these goals, as far as we now know, simply is not technologically possible within the time frame required.”

My Shadow is a car from California and is a reaction to these new laws and why there was so much stuff added to the engine. That, along with the change from Shadow I to Shadow II, I believe this is the reason this car seems to be a product of both. I believe it is a tweener. A missing link between a Shadow I and a Shadow II in its evolution.

Robert J. Sprauer
Grand Master

Post Number: 451
Posted on Tuesday, 18 June, 2019 - 02:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The only way you can determine what your car was fitted with in terns of emissions and delivery point is from the build sheets from Hunt House. RROC headquarters has some info for members particularly the first 3 years under warranty.
The only cars built specifically for CA emissions were from March 1980 onward. They used Bosch Fuel Injection as part of the solution and are rare cars.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2171
Posted on Tuesday, 18 June, 2019 - 03:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

By the pixs this is a common LRH Shadow 1 with the flared arches and correct series one dash without the duel level air con that came on the Shadow 2 in march 1977.
BTW the Shadow 2 started with vin number 30038 with rack and pinion steering.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 662
Posted on Tuesday, 18 June, 2019 - 11:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Archaeopteryx of the Shadow series. The missing link. The Shadowopteryx tweenersaur.

Archaeopteryx

Hubert Kelly
Prolific User

Post Number: 341
Posted on Tuesday, 18 June, 2019 - 17:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike, the accumulator valve body looks like it's from a shadow 2 where as the the accumulator looks like they are from a shadow one version?.
It's just bye the bye..

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 666
Posted on Thursday, 20 June, 2019 - 01:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hubert that just re-enforces the tweener notion. The Shadowopteryx tweenersauras lives on.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Thursday, 20 June, 2019 - 03:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike,

That car is 110% a Shadow III.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 700
Posted on Wednesday, 10 July, 2019 - 00:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Getting a title for my Rolls is turning out to be a nightmare. As you may remember the Rolls was sold at auction. So then the auction house signed the title. Which was Kruse International, now Sotheby's by way of RM Auctions of Canada. So the one's that signed the title at auction as power of attorney are not around any more. Then the ones on the title who bought it at some point is a Hot Rod club. That guy died some years back. And the guy I bought it from never got it transferred to his name. So the only remaining person is the wife of the last last guy who bought it, and her husband (who died) had a dealer's number, that would straighten this out, is probably expired and I'm not sure she can use that number to transfer the title. What a mess. If the guy on the title (before the auction) just signed the title and everyone else left it alone, things would have been fine.

In other words I'm waiting to talk to her and she will not talk to strangers. I think the only way to title the Rolls at this point is to get what is called in the USA a bonded title. For cases no title exists any more. Very common in Texas dealing with older cars because Texas only keeps title records for like 5 years. And most of these old car sit in a field some 20 years, and no one knows where they put the title. I have yet to do a bonded title but I want to, to have the experience of the process. It will for sure cost more money and time.

Kruse International
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kruse_International

RM Sotheby's
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RM_Sotheby%27s

David Gore

Post Number: 3370
Posted on Wednesday, 10 July, 2019 - 09:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike,

Is there any way of having the car declared "abandoned" or similar status given its history and having a new title create for registration purposes?

No doubt similar instances to your experience have occurred in the past and there may be a "work around" to allow registration of a vehicle without a continuous title history. I would be surprised if the auctioneer-signed title was extinguished by the later sale of the company as the title would have been valid at the time the car was sold and the transfer signed.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 705
Posted on Thursday, 11 July, 2019 - 01:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David the abandoned route is a long road, that involves police, and certified letters, in other words a stack of papers etc. A bonded title is the shorter route. I have bought two abandoned cars, my current Dodge truck and a BMW, through a tow yard. They have to send 2 certified letters to the address on the title, have the police sign off on it as truly abandoned and have it sit long enough for the tow lot fee to pass the price of the vehicle to claim ownership.

I'm hoping that the lady of the now late husband (who is the last known official person on the title) can sign off on it with her dealer's number. Unlike most states (that I know of) Texas does not have multiple lines of owners that can be put on a title. Only one line for the buyer/owner then 3 lines for dealers. Hence the need for that dealer's number. That is the easiest route on this title, then a Bonded title. When the Hot Rod club put their name on the title that trashed the title, they have to sign it to straighten out the mess they caused, but he is dead. (And the guy I bought it from, should have got a new title when he could have. And I should have looked closer at the time I bought it. He advertised this car a having a clean title, it wasn't.)

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 713
Posted on Friday, 12 July, 2019 - 05:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David update on title. I called the DMV in Austin they said the dealer's number has to be current. So I went to our local Dept. Motor Vehicles with the dealer's number to ask them if they could look it up in their system. Well she said we have never had a title with a dealer's number on it. So I said can you look it up. She said we can't look it up by the dealer's number but I can call them. (You can't call the dead by phone.) So in her system was the Hot Rod Club so she tried to call them, no one answered. (As Cheech and Chong said Dave's not here.) Then told me you have to have them fill out all the info and then we will look it up and issue you a title. Since she is new I would have to hope I get her next time or no ticky, no laundry.

For the taxes they use the NADA guide which lists this RR at $11,900 I will pay more in taxes than I paid for the car.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 462
Posted on Friday, 12 July, 2019 - 05:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was a dealer here in NY and all license info of any kind, real estate, construction you name it is on the state license section if current.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 714
Posted on Friday, 12 July, 2019 - 06:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The guy that had the dealer's number has been dead for at least 4 years. An ex-policeman who owns the property that the wife lives on, got the dealer's number through his contacts. She is currently out of state. Even if she signs the title and puts the dealer's number on it I am now doubting it will help. Leaving only an expensive bonded title because the value of the car is listed as $11,900. Tax + Bond + Fees = more than the car is worth. Not sure what I will do with it, maybe sell it as lost title.

Mark Luft
Frequent User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 273
Posted on Friday, 12 July, 2019 - 07:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike, what year is the car??

Mark Luft
Frequent User

Post Number: 274
Posted on Friday, 12 July, 2019 - 07:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There is a titling service in AL that can get you a title. They used to advertise in Hemmings.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 715
Posted on Friday, 12 July, 2019 - 08:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark it is a 1975 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow. The title is not the problem now, it is the cost. I had no idea they would think it is worth $11,900 USD. The tax alone will be like $3000, I only paid $2500 for it. The states I am used to took your word for what you paid for the car and based the tax on that. Texas is different, they base it on standard presumptive value and use NADA as the source. And $11,900 is the low side.

https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1975/Rolls-Royce/Silver-Shadow/4-Door-Sedan/Values

David Gore

Post Number: 3372
Posted on Friday, 12 July, 2019 - 08:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike,

Can you register it in another State with more relaxed standards and then transfer it to Texas after a suitable period.

Here in Australia, cars kept in another State for more than 3 continuous months are required by law to be registered in that State - a law that is honoured more in the breach rather than observance.

The main exception is Queensland where registration fees are less than other States and their registration laws are more lenient so cars are purchased and registered in Queensland and then taken back to the owner's home state for use. The interesting thing now will be whether the increasing use of number plate recognition with mobile and fixed units will result in interstate "cheat" plates being tagged and the owners being questioned by the authorities as the authorities can deem such vehicles to be unregistered and remove the plates on the roadside.

I have been seeing increasing numbers of vehicles with plates removed on the side of the highway during my regular trips to and from Sydney. It usually takes only 2 or 3 days before these vehicles begin to be stripped of parts by the "midnight spares" individuals. There is a set period of time before the authorities can legally remove these cars from the side of the road by which time they have been burnt out or stripped of all usable parts.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 717
Posted on Friday, 12 July, 2019 - 11:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

Hmmm, Oklahoma the nearest state says:

An average value for all such model vehicles is utilized. Standard vehicle excise tax is assessed as follows: New Vehicle: 3.25% of the purchase price (or taxable value, if different) Used Vehicle: $20.00 on the 1st $1500.00 of value + 3.25% of the remainder.

I stuck in my RR info for $2500 and it said in Oklahoma my tax (if I did it right) is $84.25

I put in Used, Vehicle, Vin SRD21318 Price $2500

https://okcars.tax.ok.gov/_/#2

I used to keep a Post Office Box in Missouri at a town along I-70 Highway for my mail. Even though (for example) I sold my car, abandoned my apartment, and sold or trashed everything that would not fit in my 18 wheeler truck and lived in my (company) truck for a year, I still had a place for my mail to go and a place of residency. I picked up my mail any time I drove down I-70 highway. I even had it when I moved out of the country. Bit harder to pick up the mail though. A long story short maybe that would work in Oklahoma.

Even though that brain of yours is constantly up at high altitudes where the air is thinner from your height, it still works quite well. :-)

David Gore

Post Number: 3374
Posted on Friday, 12 July, 2019 - 15:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike......

Priorities my friend, always priorities.

Never do today what can be postponed till tomorrow.

Mark Luft
Frequent User

Post Number: 275
Posted on Saturday, 13 July, 2019 - 03:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike, doesn't Texas recognize a parts car?? Worth MUCH LESS that a NADA running and driving auto?

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 719
Posted on Saturday, 13 July, 2019 - 05:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well I just talked to the DMV title office in a town near here (same county) and they said for title only at $2500, the tax and fee is only $184.85. So if somehow I can get them to take this title that is all it will cost. Wish me luck.

Hubert Kelly
Frequent User

Post Number: 346
Posted on Saturday, 13 July, 2019 - 06:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good luck, remember Judge Judy☺

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 720
Posted on Saturday, 13 July, 2019 - 08:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was trying to figure out what that ☺ was so I googled the whole thing it turns out Judge Judy is one of the richest women in the USA.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/21/how-judge-judy-renegotiates-her-47-million-contract.html

Where Oprah Winfrey, has a net worth of $2.8 billion. The top 10 richest woman in America are from the Walton Family (of Wal-Mart), and half of the list consists of members of the Mars candy family. So Oprah does not even make the list.

I am watching my Ps and Qs because one of the members in this mess of the title is an ex-policeman. (If that is what you were getting at.)

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1164
Posted on Saturday, 13 July, 2019 - 11:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike,

If you want the mold of the gear shift lever, let me know and I can send it out.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 722
Posted on Saturday, 13 July, 2019 - 12:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross sorry to say I really don't think it will do me any good. Sorry, very kind of you though.
Nice to put a face to the name.

Any brainy ideas on titles?

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 768
Posted on Tuesday, 23 July, 2019 - 17:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Can someone tell me what the fuel tank is made of? Regular steel, stainless steel, or aluminum. I need to clean it out and don't want rust issues with water.

Thanks

Jim Walters
Frequent User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 258
Posted on Wednesday, 24 July, 2019 - 03:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Terne steel.

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 770
Posted on Wednesday, 24 July, 2019 - 05:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Jim,

There is a lot of conflicting pages out there what the coating is made of, but one said it was nickel lead and tin. Then he went on to say the oxidation of them is a powdery whitish color, which was a big problem in my 1964 Chrysler Imperial Crown. That powder got into my carb, through the filter, and dried up and I had to rebuild the carb. That is why I am paranoid of the RR tank having the same issue, and into my new carb. That is why I want to hose it out real good.

Thread
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1072454.html

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 475
Posted on Wednesday, 24 July, 2019 - 05:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Corrosionpedia explains Terne
Terne metals are produced by coating carbon steel, stainless and other select metals with a specially formulated alloy consisting of zinc, tin and trace amounts of other elements, in order to dramatically increase a metal’s corrosion resistance by up to ten times.

Terneplate is a steel sheet with a coating of terne metal. It has the strength and formability of steel and the noncorrosive surface and solderability of terne metal

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 797
Posted on Monday, 29 July, 2019 - 15:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Since many people name their Rolls Royces, I have decided to name mine Pita. Or more proper PITA, for Pain In The A..

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 809
Posted on Friday, 02 August, 2019 - 07:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Success! It was a bit of a nightmare to get all the signatures and stuff for the title for my 1975 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, but that less than perfect Rolls is now my car. For only $180 US dollars, not thousands as I feared. Not a bad day so far.

If you don't know what I had to go through my see post on Wednesday, 10 July, 2019 - 00:45: above.

The clerk had me worried doing a lot of typing, flipping the papers back and forth, reading stuff but finally she said that will be $184 dollars, you'll get the title in about two weeks.

Thanks for the good luck Hubert Kelly made all the difference in the world. :-)

Mark Luft
Frequent User

Post Number: 284
Posted on Friday, 02 August, 2019 - 07:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Congratulations Mike

David Gore

Post Number: 3415
Posted on Friday, 02 August, 2019 - 08:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well done Mike - where there is a will there is always a way to success.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 811
Posted on Friday, 02 August, 2019 - 10:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks David and Mark, now if I can get a place to put it, at a price I can afford.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 870
Posted on Monday, 12 August, 2019 - 11:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well I finally got the Rolls on the ground. I started with the front left wheel to take out my wooden contraptions that put the car some foot in the air. I figured since it is leaning that way I would take out the back left wheel lift. So now the right back wheel is off the wooden contraption in the air and the left front wheel is in the air and my jack is stuck there. So I go to the front right wheel to get both front wheels on the ground and while the back wheel was in the air anyway I took out the wooden lift. So now I got 3 wheels in the air and two stuck jacks. Jack number three. So now I'm trying to get jack # 2 out with jack # 3. Jack # 3 slips and now I have 3 jacks stuck.
Jack number 4 and a stand. So with working with the stand and a scissor jack I got the two jack # 2 and # 3 out and now had to get the stand and the scissor jack out. Now this is getting to be like one of those games (flat, usually white and black that the pieces slide back and forth and up and down) where you only have one space and you have to keep moving pieces around and around to win the game. Finally the only thing left was the scissor jack, and still 3 wheels in the air. So I'm cranking and cranking the jack down then all of a sudden the car decided it had had enough and yelled forget this I'm coming down. It was a good thing it yelled this, because it gave me time to get all my parts and pieces of my body out of the way. As in Life of Brian (Monty Python) "You know, you come from nothing - you're going back to nothing. What have you lost? Nothing!

So this placed the teeniest tiniest little bit of force on the scissor jack as you can see below.

jack 3

jack 4

You know maybe that is why the Land lord keeps coming over to see if I am still alive. You know the more I'm around myself, I'm starting to see why. :-)

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 871
Posted on Monday, 12 August, 2019 - 11:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is worrying:

grave

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 501
Posted on Monday, 12 August, 2019 - 13:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The reason for the disaster was you went about it all wrong. Never lift one corner the size of a RR with a dumb scissors jack. They fold like a deck of cards. When lifting or lowering a car you either do the whole car or just half this way the load is better distributed. The front jack point is the triangle mount under the front subframe and in the rear its under the diff. When lift or lower do inches at a time, re-block, and then shift to the rear and so forth. When you lift only a corner you have 75% of the car weight as a potential.
Let the weight work for you and not against you.
Buy at trolley jack at least and work with better tools and save your car and more importantly your life. I know you don't take advice.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 873
Posted on Monday, 12 August, 2019 - 16:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not everyone can just dip into their billfold and buy buy buy. .

If you really wanted to give me advice I would listen to, tell me how to make money not look down on me because my businesses have failed, due to the changing world and the USA sticking their nose into other countries business.

Mike Thompson
Prolific User

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Sunday, 06 October, 2019 - 23:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was just wondering can a Turbo 400 transmission, from a 72 C-10 Chevy truck work in a Rolls Shadow.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1248
Posted on Monday, 07 October, 2019 - 00:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike,

Sort of.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1249
Posted on Monday, 07 October, 2019 - 00:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike,

The th400 "fits" but the bolt pattern is different, so yes if you are repowering with a chevy , no if you mean behind a 6.75 /.25 RR 8.

Adapting it would be fairly simple as these things go because there is a adaptor plate between the RR engine and the RR transmission anyway.

I seem to remember some jag used to have the same transmission case as the RR unit.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1250
Posted on Monday, 07 October, 2019 - 00:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike,

The TH400 in the RR has regular internals as far as I know so it would be super easy rebuild one if it broke but behind a RR 6.75 I can't see transmission failures being very common.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 547
Posted on Monday, 07 October, 2019 - 01:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Why replace it? It is a TH400 internally. The tail case is RR and the engine to transmission case is RR.
Also the clutch packs are wavy and designed for smoother shifting in the RR.

Mike Thompson
Prolific User

Post Number: 1003
Posted on Monday, 07 October, 2019 - 02:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was wondering because I saw the Turbo 400 for sale in part, and thought if someone bought a POS Shadow like mine and the trans did not work. They might buy the Turbo 400. Much cheaper I'm betting.

So it sounds like yes you can with some modifications, I wonder if the electric shift would work or would you have to put in a Hurst (for example).

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 548
Posted on Monday, 07 October, 2019 - 03:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The over engineered RR electric actuator would work. RR wanted a quiet and effortless shifting mechanism, hence the actuator. The actuator box also contains a second neutral safety microswitch in series with the one in the shifter/steering column.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1251
Posted on Monday, 07 October, 2019 - 05:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert,

Two neutral safety switches, sort of surprising the speedometer doesn't go to "11" because it's more.

Mike,

The owner of said economical pricepoint RR could buy a used working th400 and pop the internals into the RR case which likely wouldn't be too dear.

David Gore

Post Number: 3475
Posted on Monday, 07 October, 2019 - 07:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike,

It is my understanding the R-R T400 actuator came from the push button Chrysler "TorqueFlite" auto transmissions in the mid 1950's.

They were fitted to at least the first 3 models of the Chrysler Valiant [R, S and AP5??] sold in Australia - SWMBO's father owned a R and AP5 and I remember driving the AP5 and marvelling at the push buttons compared to the column shift on our new Ford Falcon 2 speed automatic at the time.

Trevor Hodgekinson
Experienced User
Username: wm20

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, 07 October, 2019 - 09:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just seen this thread.
Commiseration about the jacking
Genuine RR jacks are brilliant and AFAIK were also used on a lot of jags.
Thus that should be available from wreckers ( breakers ) for a reasonable price.
None of my cars has jacks in them when i got them and for the first 2 years I used an ex-army hydraulic bumper jack, ground down to fit in the Shadow jacking port.
It is actually easier to use than the RR screw jack but not as stable.and you have to watch the angle or you end up putting a dent in the door.
As for a business failing, Had 3 of them do that 1 was 100% my fault the others were external factors that in hind sight I should have made plans for but hey that is life.
Turbo 400's were used in almost everything so you should not have any problems finding one.
However they do not change as smooth as the genuine RR modified ones. From memory the first car had one from a Ford F250 truck fitted , we thought it was a "nice change" till we got the ex-Rafles Hotel hydramatic car.
AFAIK the Chrysler push button change is mechanical all the way back to the box. I used to think it was electronic because it changes so easily but a riding mate has one & assures me it is mechanical

David Gore

Post Number: 3476
Posted on Monday, 07 October, 2019 - 15:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Trevor,

Will check with my US mate who will know the answer - his late brother-in-law was a senior Chrysler design engineer and customising enthusiast.

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 161
Posted on Monday, 07 October, 2019 - 16:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Funny with all this talk about the jacks,....

This weekend just gone I for the first time took a close look at the jack and tools in Camilla.

I operated the jack right the way through its full travel to make sure for my own piece of mind it works as its supposed to.

Camilla has now on two occasions made a heck of a 'thunk!' when she dropped into reverse.

Both time were when she was cold, after she had warmed up from dead cold at the start of a trip.

Should I be worried?

Graham.

Mark Herbstreit
Frequent User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 203
Posted on Monday, 07 October, 2019 - 18:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kick the choke off when cold before putting in to gear. Expect a clunk when pulling out of park on an incline. Stop worrying! Lock whichever door is near jack when operating lest you or someone else tries to open it from the inside and clunks the aluminium.

Jeff Cheng
Experienced User
Username: makeshift

Post Number: 120
Posted on Monday, 07 October, 2019 - 20:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I second kicking off the choke before putting it into gear.
Do you have the TH400 3spd? They will somewhat thump into gear by design; unlike more modern transmissions, the TH400 does not have a pressure accumulator/damper so the clutches bite with full force when put into gear. The higher the idle RPM, the harder it will thump.

Trevor Hodgekinson
Experienced User

Post Number: 84
Posted on Monday, 07 October, 2019 - 21:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

DAvid,
That would be good.
Not haven ever owned nor worked on one so for all I know the person who told me they were mechanical could have been pulling the old legs.
One of the nice things about being formally educated in the sciences is being proven wrong is always considered to be an advantage as what is important is the facts are correct , not who said them.

Mike Thompson
Prolific User

Post Number: 1006
Posted on Tuesday, 08 October, 2019 - 03:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would have thought that people would remember I own a 1964 Chrysler Imperial Crown. And the push button is mechanical. I believe 1964 was the last year it was legal.

crown

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 162
Posted on Tuesday, 08 October, 2019 - 13:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Mark and Jeff,..

The engine has warmed up and is idling without the choke.

And yes, Camilla is a made for the home market (UK) with the 3 speed gearbox.

Graham.

David Gore

Post Number: 3478
Posted on Wednesday, 09 October, 2019 - 20:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK - latest mail from my US friend with confirmation the Torqueflite push-button selector had a cable connection between the console and gearbox - the second link provides the relevant detail:

https://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/autos/chrysler-push-button-dash-brings-back-memories/article_7ae41d7e-34b3-555c-97dc-669aa8b02cde.html

http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/transtech.html

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2192
Posted on Wednesday, 09 October, 2019 - 20:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

How is this going to help on a Silver Shadow unless you want to butcher up an existing system?
Who's loosing the plot.

Trevor Hodgekinson
Experienced User

Post Number: 87
Posted on Wednesday, 09 October, 2019 - 22:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My fault,
But regardless of weather it is on subject or not, what gets posted must be correct or it leads to mistruths & urban legends .
So now we know for sure that the system was mechanical & I promise I will never mention it again.
Scouts honour.

David Gore

Post Number: 3479
Posted on Thursday, 10 October, 2019 - 07:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Trevor,

You were not alone - I was also under the impression it was electric actuation based on my experience from driving the AP5 Valiant.

The push button was so smooth and easy in operation which suggested to me it was not mechanically connected to the transmission.

Mike Thompson
Prolific User

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Saturday, 12 October, 2019 - 10:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well I can assure you that if you let a push button car sit out in a junk yard with the windows somewhat open since around 1998 that smooth shift goes away.

I am very glad that my Rolls electric actuator works just fine.

Mike Thompson
Prolific User

Post Number: 1117
Posted on Monday, 09 December, 2019 - 10:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have started sanding (rubbing) the Rolls before winter really sets in. The smell of that paint is just really bad. What is with that?

Oh by the way I sold my 2007 Cadillac STS for $5250 to help pay for the taps on the utilities of some $6400 for water and sewage.

Mike Thompson
Prolific User

Post Number: 1149
Posted on Sunday, 22 December, 2019 - 14:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As I said in another thread, that a battery for a drill costs almost as much as the entire drill. So because my cordless drill died, I priced the battery which was $20 USD. Now the drill and battery (a 20 volt not an 18 volt at that) is $25. So you are only paying $5 for the drill. (If you tried to buy the drill alone do you think you would only pay $5, Hill No.) I now have a box of 5 of these cordless drills not worth anything, because it is cheaper (in the long run) to just buy the drill with battery.

drill

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 222
Posted on Sunday, 22 December, 2019 - 20:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

New cells can be bought on-line, or do as I do and reclaim cells from ex-laptop batteries (professional cheapskate who doesn't like to see useful stuff sent for "recycling"). As long as you can solder and tell +ve from -ve it's easy. Some batteries have bits of temperature checking circuits in them.

Alan D.

Trevor Hodgekinson
Experienced User

Post Number: 127
Posted on Monday, 23 December, 2019 - 09:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Most of the cost of junk made in China to the specifications and exclusively for other Americans to sell to Americans is in the logistics of getting them into your hands.
When you are bored go to "Made In China" and look at the prices quoted for this type of stuff.
Bought in 1,000 units or more a lot is just about free.
I can get the std 42" tractor style ride on from China for $ 824 in lots of 10 ex wharf in China
Push that up to 100 lots & it goes down to $ 622 each
order 10,000 and they become $ 510 each
Order 100,000 or more and they become $ 425 landed in Aust.
However getting those 100,000 mowers to my place would add around $ 50 to each of them, if the containers could be unloaded as soon as they arrived & sent strait back to the shipping company ( or exchanged like pallets ).
Holding on to the containers will cost me $120 / day plus double the cost of returning them.
I then need a warehouse big enough to hold the 3,000 containers work of packing cases, fork lifts, insurance , inventory control etc etc etc.
Thus by the time I sell these mower they are near $ 1000 each, just to break even.

Mark Luft
Frequent User

Post Number: 297
Posted on Tuesday, 11 February, 2020 - 01:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hey Mike, have you seen this?? Right up your alley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5ZjNLBv0Dk

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: