Remote Central Locking Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Remote Central Locking « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Greene
Prolific User
Username: benzjag

Post Number: 137
Posted on Friday, 07 June, 2019 - 07:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This week I installed a remote central locking system on my 79 Shadow. The wiring was a little intimidating, but I got it together. I read some post in 2104, but no one gave the actual instructions. If there is enough interest, I will be happy to do a writeup. The system works perfectly on my car. I'm going to order three more systems and do the conversion on my two other Shadows and the Silver Cloud! The complete kit was only $9.88;of course from China on Ebay!

Richard

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3337
Posted on Friday, 07 June, 2019 - 08:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

Please do - A write-up would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Glen Poolen
Prolific User
Username: wgipps

Post Number: 171
Posted on Friday, 07 June, 2019 - 14:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Those who know through knowledge or experience should share. Thats how we all learn.
I had central locking installed on my 74 SS1 and love it, but it was done by an auto elec who had SS experience so i couldnt help with this at all.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User
Username: vroomrr

Post Number: 599
Posted on Friday, 07 June, 2019 - 17:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think you could adapt something like this pretty easy. (But I think it needs two channels for the locks on the driver door. For example.)

https://www.amazon.com/Switch-Wireless-Control-1-Channel-Transmitters/dp/B071WM1YGS

Alan Dibley
Prolific User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 195
Posted on Friday, 07 June, 2019 - 18:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I use a similar 2-channel radio gizmo to provide an easy route through the firewall to control a timer to give me intermittent wiper operation on the 'T'. One button turns on a delay/timer (a DIY kit meant for photographic processing) the other alters the delay time. Both buttons are set to "toggle", i.e. press once = ON, press again = OFF. It works by activating the screen-wash delay circuit by interrupting one wire at the screen pump. Almost invisible when installed. Buttons are stuck up under the dashboard hood overhang.

A similar one on the 2CV gives me headlight flash on one channel and a single screen wipe on the other. Buttons are glued to the steering-wheel boss.

Alan D.

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Friday, 07 June, 2019 - 20:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

Is the headlight switch for passing?

Alan Dibley
Prolific User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 196
Posted on Friday, 07 June, 2019 - 20:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross, the 2CV is deficient in all "modern" features, so I've added a few - like a full-beam headlight flasher for those times when a flash says "Thank you" or "It's your turn".

But central locking on a 2CV would be a real challenge.

Alan D.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2110
Posted on Saturday, 08 June, 2019 - 00:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

like a full-beam headlight flasher for those times when a flash says "Thank you" or "It's your turn".

Alan - Americans will wonder what you mean. Headlight flashing is just not part of American driving culture. It is rarely, if ever done.

I wonder if this is a uniquely British phenomenon.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 600
Posted on Saturday, 08 June, 2019 - 01:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In America the flashing is usually when you come upon granny (or Mr. arrogant) going 50 or 60 in the fast lane on a 70 mph highway, to mean get the hill out of the way. Or rarely at a 4 way stop as it's your turn (but usually it means go ahead and get hill a going). Americans are less tea and biscuit than gun and ammo about it.

Or in Truck speak, it is OK to get in my lane you are far enough away from me not to hit me and no idiot has pulled in there while while you were passing. It is hard to judge the distance of something so large. And thank you is a blink of the clearance lights by a switch on the steering wheel.

I have just recently learned how to use relays and now (like others here) have thought of lots of ways to use them.

Glen Poolen
Prolific User
Username: wgipps

Post Number: 172
Posted on Saturday, 08 June, 2019 - 15:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

headlight flashing here means to the traffic driving in the other direction that the police are ahead of you - possibly checking speed.

Jim Walters
Prolific User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 249
Posted on Saturday, 08 June, 2019 - 15:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Flashing headlights here in Western Canada are warning of police ahead, usually a speed trap with radar.

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2111
Posted on Saturday, 08 June, 2019 - 17:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Interesting - so headlight flashing has different meanings in different countries.

In the UK, as Alan says, it is used to say thank you or it's your turn. So if you are in a queue of traffic and someone is waiting in a side road you may hold back and flash your headlights to say I'm letting you in, to which the other driver will flash his headlights to say thank you.

In America it's to say get out of my way, which also occurs on ocassions in the UK.

In Canada and Australia, it's used to warn of police traps ahead. This interested me as a friend of mine who emigrated to Australia said, in an email, he was doing exactly the same. This verifies what Jim and Glen have said.

This makes the Americans sound the most aggressive, but after emigrating here in 2004 I have found the opposite to be true. In fact I remember emailing a friend in the UK saying how I miss the aggro of the UK.

Culturual differences eh - fascinating.

Omar - what's the significance of headlight flashing in the UAE?

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 608
Posted on Saturday, 08 June, 2019 - 17:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That one must be pretty universal in the USA when no one is around you flashing headlights says police ahead, that you just passed.

Good minds in police states think a like. In say Thailand they generally don't give out tickets for speeding unless you're in an accident and a foreigner. Thailand (Bangkok) is the only country (city) that you have to look both ways before exiting a shop. They drive motorcycles on the sidewalks if the traffic is heavy, which it usually is.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3340
Posted on Saturday, 08 June, 2019 - 21:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No headlight flashing to warn of roadside police speed traps in NSW - it is a traffic offence punishable with a fine and demerits recorded against your licence.

Quote from the relevant legislation "Use high-beam on oncoming vehicle less than 200 metres”, and the penalty is an $88 fine and one demerit point.

Nanny State conditions also apply to using your car horn to toot a farewell or attract attention "While road rage affects even the most subdued of drivers, you should avoid the temptation to hit the horn, unless you're warning another vehicle (or animal) that you're approaching them. It is an offence to use your horn for any other reason unless it is part of an antitheft or alcohol interlock device in your vehicle. The ‘illegal use of a warning device’ can get you a fine upwards of $66 in Queensland, and some states will even take points off your license. No more friendly beeps goodbye!"

Mike - as you would know full well, you haven't lived until you have experienced a Tuk-tuk taxi ride in Bangkok Thailand. The drivers think they are competing in a motorcycle grand prix instead of driving in traffic and their routes are most innovative and my most memorable was a short cut through a parking station riding wrong way through the exit and entry lanes with the motorcycle engine at the upper limit of its rev range whilst the driver weaved around the car traffic in the car park.

Another was my family spread between two Tuk-tuks racing each other down Sukhumvit Road in peak hour traffic weaving between other vehicles accompanied by much tooting of horns, fast acceleration, last-minute braking, just-avoided collisions yet we arrived safely at our destination [the original "Cabbages and Condoms Restaurant"].

Not for the faint-hearted or "nervous nellies" however you have to admire the skill and judgement of the riders operating this cheap [and fun] form of transport. Once experienced, never forgotten.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2859
Posted on Sunday, 09 June, 2019 - 01:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Headlight flashing to warn of speed traps ahead is very common in many parts of the USA but, even though not technically illegal in a lot of those, one must be certain one cannot be observed by the local constabulary when trying to tip off others coming toward said trap.

It's also done to try to tip off idiots who haven't bothered to dim their high beams by quickly giving a flash. Sadly, these days, virtually none of said idiots responds to said quick flash by dimming their high beams. And being dazzled by oncoming high beams is something that's getting less tolerable as I age rather than more so.

In the "I wish they'd perfect that technology" I'd love to see auto-dimming high beams come back, but ones that actually work consistently. The manners surrounding when to use them and when to dim them seem to be disappearing entirely.

It seems that flashing headlights from behind is also a way in some areas to note that it's safe for the person who's just passed you to move back over without cutting you off. This seems to be particularly common among truckers with other truckers.

Brian

Robert J. Sprauer
Grand Master
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 442
Posted on Sunday, 09 June, 2019 - 02:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It would be great to be back the use of turn signals.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 609
Posted on Sunday, 09 June, 2019 - 02:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Speaking of high beams it is come to the point that you cannot tell the so called low beams from the high beams. Two lights on, equals high beams to me. And if they become mad at you flashing your high beams at them, then they turn on the actual high beams and sear your retinas. They need a standard for what is called low beams (and blue lights).

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: