REMOVING Rear Shocks (79 Shadow) Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » REMOVING Rear Shocks (79 Shadow) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Greene
Prolific User
Username: benzjag

Post Number: 125
Posted on Sunday, 31 March, 2019 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have read the factory manual on removing the rear shocks on my 79 Shadow. I know the height rams have to be removed. Does anyone have the steps involved and/or tips to make the job easier? I just can't find any steps other than those in the factory manual.

Thanks.

Richard

Alan Dibley
Prolific User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 187
Posted on Sunday, 31 March, 2019 - 07:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hint: Don't ignore the bit about putting some retaining bits down the bolt-holes on the ram pistons, to stop the bits below from moving. How do I know????

Alan D.

Robert J. Sprauer
Prolific User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 206
Posted on Sunday, 31 March, 2019 - 09:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Step by step instructions are detailed and explained in the factory TSD4200. Look for it here or on the Bentley Heritage site.

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 227
Posted on Tuesday, 02 April, 2019 - 06:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have this wrench that I offer.
ram wrench
This tool will allow tremendous force to be applied but the biggest benefit is that you can use an air hammer to ratatat-tat on the notches on the wrench. This will save the teeth on your rams from damage.
Kelly
http://BritishToolWorks.com

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2811
Posted on Tuesday, 02 April, 2019 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And when you put it all back together use anti-seize on the threads so the next poor sucker who's faced with doing this job may not need the air hammer!

You may not even need an air hammer if you can get a "persuader" extension on Kelly's C-wrench if it's needed at all.

I gave up on SRH33576 because nothing was making those ram retainers to budge (I didn't have Kelly's tool (nor the original hook wrench, either), including a zip gun.

Brian

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 297
Posted on Tuesday, 02 April, 2019 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I always used 5/16 bolts with head cut off and slot for screw driver cut into them to "anchor" ram to spring tower when trying to free ram piston. This stops it all sliding about when trying hard to free/loosen ram piston

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: