1979 Shadow Rear Shocks Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » 1979 Shadow Rear Shocks « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Greene
Prolific User
Username: benzjag

Post Number: 124
Posted on Saturday, 23 March, 2019 - 07:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Simple question this time:

Are the rear shocks the same on a 79 Shadow as a 75 Shadow? I'm getting conflicting info from websites!

Thanks.

Richard

Larry Kavanagh
Grand Master
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 367
Posted on Saturday, 23 March, 2019 - 08:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

According to Flying Spares website there's a difference in the rear suspension prior to and from VIN 16214 but the shocks look the same on all Silver Shadow models, part no. RH 12437 for the standard shocks. I'm only going by the information on their parts site and haven't ever changed the rear shocks on my 1979 Silver Shadow 11 so check further.

Larry Kavanagh
Grand Master
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 368
Posted on Saturday, 23 March, 2019 - 08:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Introcar Ltd give the same part no. for standard shocks (RH12437) on all 4 door Silver Shadows.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2806
Posted on Saturday, 23 March, 2019 - 08:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

From my RR & Bentley Parts, Repair, Restoration & Other Resources Compilation:

Current Crewe-specified replacement shocks/dampers are: [Note: These give a firmer ride than the original Boge]
Front: Bilstein 24-014298 (old part number F4-B46-1429-H0)
Rear: Bilstein 24-014304 (old part number F4-B46-1430-H0)

There has not, to my knowledge, been any document that supersedes the one that made this change.

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 296
Posted on Tuesday, 26 March, 2019 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

From memory the change from 16214 was that prior to this vin, the isolator that sits on top of road spring that ram piston screws into was actually 2 parts held together by a circular metalastic bush to absorb noise. The problem with this was it allowed the long road spring to bow and deform, affecting ride height and creating noise. Crewe introduced wedges to go under bottom of spring to "straighten" spring. This was only short term fix. The long term improvement was to delete the metalastic bush and just make isolator solid. This did the trick because ram body was bolted to car body and ram piston being screwed into top hat helped resist road spring bowing. This mod can be retro fitted to all cars. The diameter of height control adjusting shims was also changed at this time.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: