Headlamp washer / wiper removal Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Headlamp washer / wiper removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rod Spargo
New User
Username: rodds23

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, 21 March, 2019 - 02:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm needing to remove the headlamp washer/wiper mechanism from my 1979 Shadow 2. I know where the wiper motor is however I need to remove the whole assembly.

I've looked in the workshop manual however I can't seem to find any reference to the headlamp washer/wipers removal.

Any help would be appreciated.

Robert J. Sprauer
Prolific User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 196
Posted on Thursday, 21 March, 2019 - 09:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The inner fender panels have to be removed. They are fiberglass and have a designated install pattern. Held in with hex sheet metal screws. Use a 1/4 hex driver instead of a screwdriver due to corrosion. Once the fron section is removed, you have access to the assembly and electrics. You may need a utility knife to run along the seams of the innerpanel if they have been undercoated over the years.

Steve Emmott
Prolific User
Username: steve_e

Post Number: 158
Posted on Thursday, 21 March, 2019 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Locate the heads of all the hex screws on the front part of the wheel arch liner. It is joined with the rear part directly above the centre line of the front wheel.

The screws are around the wing fender inner wheel arch and on the inner panel of where the engine bay panel is and a couple where the front joins the rear fibre glass liner.

Thoroughly clean around each screw head and with a scriber point dig out the debris from the cross head part of each screw head.

You then need to ensure you have exactly the correct hex bit and it is a really snug fit. I am not sure if they are Pozidrive or Phillips heads used but test both for the best tight/snug fit.

If you round off the hex groove on the screw, as they don't come out easily, it is a nightmare to then get the screw out.

I had several awkward ones when I removed my liners and managed to get a small pair of vice grips on the screw head as well as the screwdriver bit.

I then replaced them all with new stainless steel screws with a deep head.....just in case ever again. Also worth putting a bead of soft mastic where they join back to the body to prevent water ingress.

Just as another question that Robert may advise better on....could access be gained through the headlamp aperture as an alternative. I don't know as never had the wipers on my car.

Pictures show the left hand side front

Robert J. Sprauer
Prolific User

Post Number: 197
Posted on Thursday, 21 March, 2019 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Full access is best with the liners out, although one can attempt to remove thru the headlamp area.
Another positive aspect of removing ALL the liners is access to the rearward area in between the lower wing and door post/rocker sill area that collects road dust and debris, gets wet and does not dry out causing rust. You will be surprised what's in there.

Steve Emmott
Prolific User
Username: steve_e

Post Number: 159
Posted on Thursday, 21 March, 2019 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The reason I asked the question Robert was I had to remove my 'unused now' air ram trim covers from the front which sit just under the head lights too. I did not want to distort the thin chrome surround pushing the spring clips up from the front so felt it better to get access from the rear and had to take off the small BA nuts from all the body chrome trim ends anyway.

Frankly it did not improve access for me to get to the back of the air rams as I thought it would and I could only do it by pushing up a long thin bar between the front valance skirt and the front chassis and thankfully they had been fitted with the clips at the bottom.

Indeed on the right hand side access was even worse on the Shadow 1 due to where the air filter housing is located.

When I then removed the light fittings they actually came off much simpler and then I realised I could have got to the air rams through the head light aperture.

Rod Spargo
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, 22 March, 2019 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you for the information. However can anyone describe how to remove the cable housing for the headlamp wipers from the front of a Shadow 2?
Are there any illustrations to accompany this?

Robert J. Sprauer
Prolific User

Post Number: 198
Posted on Friday, 22 March, 2019 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The electrical harness for the wiper would be quite evident once the inner wing panels are removed. I know the service manuals well and do not recall anything on cable removal

Rod Spargo
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, 22 April, 2019 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you for the information. However what I would like to find out now is how to disconnect the wiper arm cable from the headlamp wiper motor. Can anyone help?
Many thanks

Robert J. Sprauer
Grand Master

Post Number: 318
Posted on Monday, 22 April, 2019 - 09:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My Wraith II had wiper motor delete from the factory with the holes leaded up under the headlamps. The harness is still there and the wiper motor harness should simply plug into it.
Have a pic?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: