Air instead of Nitrogen in a Sphere. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Air instead of Nitrogen in a Sphere. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2077
Posted on Thursday, 14 March, 2019 - 04:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wow, some fool has recommended the use of compressed air instead of nitrogen to charge the spheres!

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3175
Posted on Thursday, 14 March, 2019 - 08:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Where and when please - on this forum or elsewhere?

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2080
Posted on Thursday, 14 March, 2019 - 20:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

From a e-mail asking for clarification from a statement made on some sort of forum!

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1322
Posted on Thursday, 14 March, 2019 - 20:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Actually, air would probably work for a short time, oh yes it is possible.

I had a mad mate years ago who ran his Holden Ute's automatic transmission on water and it worked for a short time too and then....it stopped working. Hmmn I wonder why?

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3181
Posted on Friday, 15 March, 2019 - 07:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Any DRY gas that does not degrade the diaphragm would probably work.

As I see it, Nitrogen is inert, low-cost, widely available and completely dry with no adverse effects on the diaphragm other than the inevitable loss of pressure due to diffusion across the diaphragm into the brake fluid. In all cases, the rate of diffusion will be determined by the size of the gas molecules.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 2151
Posted on Sunday, 22 December, 2019 - 08:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The important thing about nitrogen is that it does not really change volume with temperature.

It's also inert.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2988
Posted on Sunday, 22 December, 2019 - 09:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

quote:

Any DRY gas that does not degrade the diaphragm would probably work.

And, indeed, does. Air is 78% nitrogen, and sources for dessicated air are widespread, almost any store that sells paintball guns can supply it.

I haven't used it myself, but logic dictates that it would work, and I seem to recall that at least one person I know has used it, but at the moment I cannot be certain. Given the thickness of the diaphragms, the rate of migration across one is likely far less than the slow (very slow, if one is lucky) leak out of the less than stellar OEM valve on the accumulators. Were I rebuilding any in the future I would definitely use the substitute valve from Flying Spares rather than the original ball bearing setup.

Brian

Trevor Hodgekinson
Experienced User
Username: wm20

Post Number: 126
Posted on Monday, 23 December, 2019 - 08:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Please Paul.
All gasses expand when heated unless they undergo a phase change
PxV/T is constant for all gasses.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: