The dreaded box Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » The dreaded box « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alan Skofic
New User
Username: 120l

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, 05 January, 2019 - 09:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I heard a few times that the Shadows had a box that causes all sorts of issues.

What is it and is there any truth in the Talk?

Regards

Alan

Steve Emmott
Experienced User
Username: steve_e

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, 05 January, 2019 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

Not sure if you are thinking of the steering box fitted on earlier Shadows or the gearbox/torque converter.

My steering box was changed by the previous owner at around 80k miles according to its history of invoices. No record of any gearbox work though in its history file. Mileage now is 120k and both are still good. (1972 Shadow 1)

Robert J. Sprauer
Prolific User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 101
Posted on Saturday, 05 January, 2019 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What box? can you be more specific?

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 2133
Posted on Sunday, 06 January, 2019 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes the Shadow box is problematic and if you don't top it up regularly it can leave you having quite a bit of a shock.

Generally though put a little bit more in than you think you will need and you will always be happy.

Alan Skofic
New User

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, 06 January, 2019 - 01:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the replies and sorry I was vague.

I'll find out more about what they are talking about and get back to you.

Regards

Alan

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 2134
Posted on Sunday, 06 January, 2019 - 02:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan. . . It's the money box!

At the end of the month the difference between happiness and misery is 2p.

Or something along those lines:D

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1776
Posted on Sunday, 06 January, 2019 - 04:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I bet they mean the rat trap.....

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2038
Posted on Sunday, 06 January, 2019 - 05:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Money leak, only if the wrong type top up fluid is used!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 2058
Posted on Sunday, 06 January, 2019 - 05:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad will know.

He has been involved with many problematic boxes

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3090
Posted on Sunday, 06 January, 2019 - 07:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

I think Vlad is "incommunicado" if he did accept the job offer from a large property in outback Queensland doing artesian bore maintenance.

The lure of another major R-R purchase is the most likely reason for this change in circumstances.

Alan Skofic
Experienced User

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, 06 January, 2019 - 05:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar is right, it's the rat trap.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1777
Posted on Monday, 07 January, 2019 - 01:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Alan.
The rat trap is nothing to be scared of mate.

David and Patrick - you are such badd ladds..... I love it.... Someone may have to translate to those who have not yet mastered the Australian sense of humour...

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 2059
Posted on Monday, 07 January, 2019 - 02:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar, you da man!!!!
You nailed Alan’s question in one go.

In regards to the “Australian sense of humour”
I will let David sort that one out. He would be better at explaining that than I would

David Gore

Post Number: 3091
Posted on Monday, 07 January, 2019 - 08:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The word "box" is often used colloquially by "dinky di" [Australian born and bred] males to describe a unique and desirable part of the female anatomy.

My explanation for the use of the box description is once you get in you you do not want to get out hence the generic term "boxed in" .

I try to keep the classic Australian humour alive but unfortunately our culture is being slowly changed by international mass communication especially television and "flicks" [motion pictures/movies].

Here endeth the first lesson................

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 2061
Posted on Monday, 07 January, 2019 - 04:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good lesson number 1 David.

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 288
Posted on Saturday, 12 January, 2019 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think it is early rhd Shadow with 4 speed gearbox (as fitted to earlier models). The 2-3 upshift was/is a bit of a nightmare, as unless box in good condition it thumps on change AND in slow traffic, can't make it's mind up whether to stay in 2nd or upchange. This was quite out of keeping with motor car, as when it finally decided to upchange-it would THUMP. Spent HOURS on road test trying to refine change. The throttle valve rod connecting gearbox to throttle linkage, runs vertically down the side of the distributor with a vernier adjustment with left/right hand threads so that adjustment can be easily made on test. The 3 speed gearbox was always fitted on lhd Shadow, but until around chassis 3900? the 4 speed was fitted. Not sure about Aus/Japan spec cars though.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2740
Posted on Saturday, 12 January, 2019 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mr. Gore, that particular bit of vernacular is definitely not limited to dinky di males.

I knew what was being alluded to, and that's not something I need to know even as "mental lint" (trivia), but there it is!

Still a fun first lesson.

Brian, who has greater interest in baskets

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1779
Posted on Sunday, 13 January, 2019 - 05:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

basket Brian?
I have never heard that term being used...

I feel we need lesson No 2 now....

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2742
Posted on Sunday, 13 January, 2019 - 06:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

Basket, Defn 2

AKA (probably more commonly as)

Package, Defns 1 through 5

And plenty of time spent in locker rooms with "the majority" indicates to me that they have every bit as much interest, but for distinctly different reasons.

David Gore

Post Number: 3094
Posted on Sunday, 13 January, 2019 - 07:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,

US locker rooms must be different to the Australian equivalent - over here, any obvious attention to the items [package!] on display is often likely to generate a reaction that has adverse consequences for the observer.

Also, the content on display when "in storage" is not a reliable indication of what will be available when "ready for use".

The old adage "long and thin gets it in, short and thick does the trick" immediately comes to mind.

Here endeth lesson No.2.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2743
Posted on Sunday, 13 January, 2019 - 07:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

Here in the US no one has a fixed stare and gaping jaw, either.

I truly fail to believe that, if one is paying close attention, that frequent, rapid, and furtive "evaluation" looks will not be detected. "Scoping out the competition", so to speak, is not limited by geography nor sexual orientation.

As to the rest of your observations, who could argue? Certainly not I.

Brian

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 2067
Posted on Sunday, 13 January, 2019 - 07:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well,
I have learned a thing or 2 today

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1780
Posted on Monday, 14 January, 2019 - 04:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is hilarious.
Brian - we do exactly the same as you but with chicks. The trouble is they always know exactly when we are looking and it is such hard work to silently look and not get caught.
One of our mates in Australia has looked too many times and has been caught enough times to have married several of them. The end result is that he has one less S3/Cloud III than he would like and all because they fleeced him over the years. He now strokes a nasty feline creature and has vowed not to get ensnared again.

The trouble that packages cause.....

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2746
Posted on Monday, 14 January, 2019 - 05:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thus spake Omar:

quote:

. . . we do exactly the same as you but with chicks.

Do tell. I'd never have guessed. It's just so subtle, I don't know how they notice!
[No, no - I've never seen fixed stare and gaping jaw, or heard wolf whistles, or "the vertical stare," or . . .]

quote:

Amen, brother!

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2043
Posted on Monday, 14 January, 2019 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What has this wonky lot got to do with a Silver Shadow?

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2740
Posted on Saturday, 12 January, 2019 - 10:30 am:

Mr. Gore, that particular bit of vernacular is definitely not limited to dinky di males.

I knew what was being alluded to, and that's not something I need to know even as "mental lint" (trivia), but there it is!

Still a fun first lesson.

Brian, who has greater interest in baskets

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1779
Posted on Sunday, 13 January, 2019 - 05:22 am:

basket Brian?
I have never heard that term being used...

I feel we need lesson No 2 now....

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2742
Posted on Sunday, 13 January, 2019 - 06:30 am:

Omar,

Basket, Defn 2

AKA (probably more commonly as)

Package, Defns 1 through 5

And plenty of time spent in locker rooms with "the majority" indicates to me that they have every bit as much interest, but for distinctly different reasons.

David Gore

Post Number: 3094
Posted on Sunday, 13 January, 2019 - 07:07 am:

Brian,

US locker rooms must be different to the Australian equivalent - over here, any obvious attention to the items [package!] on display is often likely to generate a reaction that has adverse consequences for the observer.

Also, the content on display when "in storage" is not a reliable indication of what will be available when "ready for use".

The old adage "long and thin gets it in, short and thick does the trick" immediately comes to mind.

Here endeth lesson No.2.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2743
Posted on Sunday, 13 January, 2019 - 07:14 am:

David,

Here in the US no one has a fixed stare and gaping jaw, either.

I truly fail to believe that, if one is paying close attention, that frequent, rapid, and furtive "evaluation" looks will not be detected. "Scoping out the competition", so to speak, is not limited by geography nor sexual orientation.

As to the rest of your observations, who could argue? Certainly not I.

Brian

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 2067
Posted on Sunday, 13 January, 2019 - 07:48 am:

Well,
I have learned a thing or 2 today

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1780
Posted on Monday, 14 January, 2019 - 04:21 am:

This is hilarious.
Brian - we do exactly the same as you but with chicks. The trouble is they always know exactly when we are looking and it is such hard work to silently look and not get caught.
One of our mates in Australia has looked too many times and has been caught enough times to have married several of them. The end result is that he has one less S3/Cloud III than he would like and all because they fleeced him over the years. He now strokes a nasty feline creature and has vowed not to get ensnared again.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2746
Posted on Monday, 14 January, 2019 - 05:22 am:

Thus spake Omar:

quote:
. . . we do exactly the same as you but with chicks.

Do tell. I'd never have guessed. It's just so subtle, I don't know how they notice!
[No, no - I've never seen fixed stare and gaping jaw, or heard wolf whistles, or "the vertical stare," or . . .]

quote:

Amen, brother!

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 2136
Posted on Tuesday, 15 January, 2019 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick . . . As a wild stab in the dark . . . I'd guess that having a Shadow may give you more opportunities to explore The Box etc.

May be one more thing or one less thing to worry about?

Am I right? Can you make it a multiple choice quiz next time? What's the prize??

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2747
Posted on Tuesday, 15 January, 2019 - 01:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick Lockyer:

quote:

What has this wonky lot got to do with a Silver Shadow?

Nothing whatsoever. Side digressions happen on forums among people who know one another reasonably well, this one launching with a play on words.

Some of us enjoy them, others need to learn how to ignore them if they don't, as they occur relatively seldom.

Brian

David Gore

Post Number: 3095
Posted on Tuesday, 15 January, 2019 - 08:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The topic as originally posted was deliberately or otherwise vague and did not clearly define the item that was to be discussed in the thread. Several of our members made suggestions as to what was being referred to and others [including myself] saw it as being subject to levity [definition: the treatment of a serious matter with humour or lack of due respect.] and worthy of a humourous response which occurred.

I support Brian Vogel's comment "Side digressions happen on forums among people who know one another reasonably well, this one launching with a play on words.

Some of us enjoy them, others need to learn how to ignore them if they don't, as they occur relatively seldom."

As you may or may not know, Brian also acts as a forum moderator elsewhere and his experience matches mine with situations like this on this forum and another international car-related forum that I also moderate.

Larry Kavanagh
Grand Master
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 314
Posted on Tuesday, 15 January, 2019 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I wonder if Vladimir would have approved or disapproved of the nature of digressions from the vague technical question and if he would have been censored had he contributed!

David Gore

Post Number: 3097
Posted on Tuesday, 15 January, 2019 - 03:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Larry,

I am expecting a response [publically or private] from Vladimir next time he returns to Mount Coolon or he is within range of a mobile phone base station.

I don't whether to wait with enthusiasm or trepidation .

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2044
Posted on Tuesday, 15 January, 2019 - 06:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And I will not buy Gillette razor blades!!!!! Wilkinson sword from now on.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1781
Posted on Wednesday, 16 January, 2019 - 04:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The banter is what makes this forum so much fun.
I am lost with the gillette and Wilkinson spur though...

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 2137
Posted on Wednesday, 16 January, 2019 - 09:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm sure that the advert won't be released in Saudi Omar

Don't let them catch you watching this . LOL

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/pgs-gillette-ad-asks-men-to-shave-their-toxic-masculinity-and-a-big-backlash-ensues-2019-01-15

Larry Kavanagh
Grand Master
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 315
Posted on Wednesday, 16 January, 2019 - 09:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Me neither Patrick!
Hi Omar, I think Patricks comment refers to the latest Gillette advertising campaign which gets its inspiration from the "Me Too" movement and some folk are upset about it.

David Gore

Post Number: 3104
Posted on Wednesday, 16 January, 2019 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I did not get the meaning behind Patrick's post until I viewed the video.

The interesting outcome will be if and how the message changes the behaviour of the perpetrators.

Personally, I suspect many of those who claim to be upset may well have a guilty conscience.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: