Windscreen Wipers Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Windscreen Wipers « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Greene
Prolific User
Username: benzjag

Post Number: 115
Posted on Saturday, 05 January, 2019 - 03:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The windscreen wipers suddenly stopped working today on my newly purchased 79 Shadow. They will not come on at any speed. I checked the fuse under the glovebox, but it was good. I seem to recall another fuse somewhere when working on my 78 Shadow. The Workshop MAnual says something about fuse 2???

HELP!

Richard

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2732
Posted on Saturday, 05 January, 2019 - 04:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Check your relays and all the connections to those, too!

I don't have time at the moment to dig through my archive but will when I return home later.

Brian

Richard Greene
Prolific User

Post Number: 116
Posted on Saturday, 05 January, 2019 - 04:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Brian.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2036
Posted on Saturday, 05 January, 2019 - 06:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Do the wash wipe work when the switch is operated ?

Larry Kavanagh
Grand Master
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 308
Posted on Saturday, 05 January, 2019 - 09:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

From memory I think fuse 21 supplies the seat motors and the wipers but I could be wrong and can't check my 79 Silver Shadow 11 at the moment, if your seat motors are working OK then fuse 21 is probably not the culprit. Let me know if fuse 21 is the problem.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2733
Posted on Saturday, 05 January, 2019 - 09:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Larry,

You are correct that Fuse 21 is marked as being for the Windscreen Wiper & Washer.

Even if it "looks good" in situations like this swap it out with another 10 Amp fuse (and you've got plenty of 'em) that is is known to be good because what it serves is functioning.

For those who want a color coded version of the fuseboard diagram from the Owner's Handbook: https://drive.google.com/open?id=14ZilWBaP9BzRRM0aV5fqd-iIkH1DjLll

I have printed this out and have it taped on the inside of the part of the knee roll that serves as the door covering the fuseboard.

Brian

Larry Kavanagh
Grand Master

Post Number: 309
Posted on Saturday, 05 January, 2019 - 09:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the colour coded fuse board diagram Brian. It seems I was wrong about the seat control fuses which are no. 10 & 11 but right about the wiper fuse being no.21. I think the above reference to fuse no.2 refers to the ignition fuse as the ignition needs to be on for the wipers to activate.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2037
Posted on Saturday, 05 January, 2019 - 06:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And if the wash works but no wipe this can show that a complete failure has not occurred, give the motor a tap when wiper switch is on, may just start up to confirm brushes or armature etc fault.

Richard Greene
Prolific User

Post Number: 117
Posted on Sunday, 06 January, 2019 - 08:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Had more time today to check the wipers on the car. The wipers do not work when pressing the washer (washer works fine). All the wires are firmly on the relays. I can hear the relay(s) click when switched on but no wiper action.

I unplugged the motor plugin and do get power on the green wire with white tracer (pic) when switched on. Oddly, the white rectangle attached under the wiper motor with wires going to it (pic) was attached by a tiewrap. I removed the tiewrap & the wipers will work continuously with the dash switch on "off"!

I reconnected this "rectangle" and the wipers returned to not working. I'm confused for sure!

Richard Greene
Prolific User

Post Number: 118
Posted on Sunday, 06 January, 2019 - 08:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Forgot to mention I look inside the motor, and it was nicely lubricated and extremely clean. I also tapped on the motor but no joy. I do not think the motor is the problem because it runs perfectly when I removed the mentioned white rectangle.

Robert J. Sprauer
Prolific User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 103
Posted on Sunday, 06 January, 2019 - 08:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If I remember there are 3 relays associated with the wiper system and clustered together near the wiper motor. Many can be interchanged depending on the Lucas number and hopefully you can sort out the issue.

Larry Kavanagh
Grand Master

Post Number: 310
Posted on Sunday, 06 January, 2019 - 09:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago with a Land Rover Defender Lucas wiper motor. The defective component you're referring to is (I think)the wiper park mechanism which can be purchased and fitted separately without having to replace the wiper motor but in my case I replaced the complete unit as it was inexpensive from a Land Rover parts supplier in the UK.

Richard Greene
Prolific User

Post Number: 119
Posted on Wednesday, 09 January, 2019 - 08:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

FIXED

Two of the relays were sticking. I turned on the wipers and aggressively tapped each one. The wipers started working. I took the two culprits off & cleaned them internally. The wipers are now working fine.My retired RR dealer technician suggested the "real" tapping. He also mentioned the wiper motor module which is located behind the drop down fuse box.

Thanks to all who offered advice!

Richard

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2735
Posted on Wednesday, 09 January, 2019 - 08:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

Congrats!! I received your e-mail and had not gotten around to replying.

I have come to really, really dislike Lucas relays, but at least they can be taken out of the can and checked out. I just don't see other relays, even decades old, that fail like these do (and not just on RRs). The longer I'm around Lucas electrics the more I think the appellation, Lucas, Prince of Darkness, is deserved.

Brian, who's replaced those relays on SRH33576, and not with Lucas relays

Richard Greene
Prolific User

Post Number: 120
Posted on Wednesday, 09 January, 2019 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,

Could you share your "substituted" relays (instead of the Lucas ones)?

I am always interested in anything that makes life simplier!!!!!!

Richard

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2736
Posted on Wednesday, 09 January, 2019 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Actually, I've used several "supermarket" relays, as they've been called here before that are Bosch-style SPDT relays.

I've posted the following multiple times in the past so that folks know how to "translate" the Lucas terminals to Bosch terminals.

Lucas 6RA & Bosch-type SPDT Relay Terminals

Should anyone ever wish to go back to Lucas relays all they need to do is take the Bosch-types out and put the Lucas back in. RR did not use sockets, but instead simply has a female slide connector on the end of individual wires that go to each terminal on the relay.

Brian

Richard Greene
Prolific User

Post Number: 121
Posted on Wednesday, 09 January, 2019 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks. Somehow I missed it before. I bought one of the "generic" relays this week at AutoZone for $6.99 for one of my Triumphs!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: