Kind of Gray Smoke Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Kind of Gray Smoke « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Denis Lefebvre
Yet to post message
Username: panel49

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, 22 December, 2018 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi , i bought a rrSS 1970 with 54000 miles ....car was store like 20 years we work on the car and spend big money ( brake + suspension +tune up ....) motor start up and running pretty good ! problem is idling no smoke but if you push on gas kind of gray smoke appears ...coolant is ok ....oil is ok ....my guest i pretend could be humidity in mufllers there 4 of them ! But not sure ....or could be the flame trap i don't know ...can someone can help me with advice with that ? Sorry with the english cause i m french ...thank you in advance Panel49. SRH7576

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2712
Posted on Saturday, 22 December, 2018 - 02:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Denis,

Not that I believe this is the cause, but if you have not cleaned your flame trap definitely take the time to do so. See this topic of mine: Flame Trap on Oil Filler - The Need to Clean It

Also, on LRK37110, when I was first trying to revive her from a very long winter's nap, I had a great deal of trouble keeping her running at idle and if one held down the accelerator to keep her running you'd get a cloud of "thin white and smelly smoke" filling the garage. It turned out that the anti-dieseling solenoid was stuck partially open, wreaking havoc. Definitely have a look at your anti-dieseling (anti-run-on) and weakener solenoids. They may be stuck. If so, they can generally be un-stuck with WD-40 or similar, applied in small doses over a couple of days, and using a manually applied 12V source to do quick activations until they loosen up. I've had to do this on several cars now and after fixed they've continued working as they should for years afterward.

Brian

Denis Lefebvre
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, 22 December, 2018 - 02:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Where is that anti dieseling thing ?

Denis Lefebvre
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, 22 December, 2018 - 03:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Where is that anti dieseling thing ? When i start the engine good running idle no vibration no sound run very quiet but if you push down the pedal there is a big cloud of gray smoke and smelly bad ( not like burn oil ) Wonder wath could be no idea....idling no noticable smoke just if you push on gas !

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2715
Posted on Saturday, 22 December, 2018 - 05:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Denis,

First, you are going to need to have a copy of the full Workshop Manual for your car if you intend to be a DIY maintainer. Though the whole thing is available on the RROC-Australia Post-War Technical Library, specifically the SY Motorcars Section, you would have to download it section by section.

I did this long ago for the SY1 series cars and the SY2 series cars, and anyone who wants the entire Workshop Manual for either, all in one fell swoop, can download them from:

TSD2476 Silver Shadow and Bentley T "One Series" Workshop Manual - OCR Processed

TSD4200 Silver Shadow II and Bentley T2 Workshop Manual - OCR Processed

Both are OCR processed so they are completely searchable from within the PDF reader of your choice and by Windows Search itself if you index the contents of PDF files.

See Chapter U - Emission Control System, Figure U24, IN THE SY2 SERIES WORKSHOP MANUAL for the best illustrations of these solenoids. They look just the same in the SY1s, but the photos used in the SY1 workshop manual are much darker and harder to distinguish the individual items being referenced.

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 591
Posted on Saturday, 22 December, 2018 - 01:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Denis, how old is the fuel in the tank ?, I f over 3 months, this could be the problem.
Mark

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 283
Posted on Saturday, 22 December, 2018 - 07:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Really need to know if car UK spec, or Australian/Japan emissions fitted. Cannot tell from early chassis numbers. Pic of engine bay is good. The anti-dieseling solenoid stops engine "running on"after switching ignition off. What used to happen, as mixture made weaker for emissions, when switched off engine would still pull in fuel mixture causing partial effect of a diesel engine making it try to run on. The anti diesel solenoid opened the intake to clean air to negate the effect of fuel vapour being drawn in.
As Mark says, how old is fuel.If all levels ok I would give car at least 25 mile run, to warm everything, then let go cold and look at levels. Don't forget coolant does drop a little bit after running!It just must not keep dropping.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 92
Posted on Saturday, 22 December, 2018 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Does the car shift properly when driving? A defective vacuum modulator on the gearbox will allow seepage of transmission fluid into the intake since it is vacuum controlled.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2022
Posted on Sunday, 23 December, 2018 - 06:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Give a good run and if it clears after I would suspect the valve stem seals leaking slightly after the engine left stationary.

To confirm.
When hot let the engine over run on a long downward hill then give it some stick and look for a slight smoke haze on acceleration.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1768
Posted on Monday, 24 December, 2018 - 05:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree with Patrick.
The valve seals on these old cars were made out of rope and they dont make the best seals when they dry up following a long slumber.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: