Camargue Grille and Kangaroo etc. pro... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Camargue Grille and Kangaroo etc. problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Thursday, 29 November, 2018 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I recently had an in depth telephone conversation with David, our long working Moderator about a device sold in Australia called Shu Roo which costs about $550 AUD, an electronic device which is claimed to scare away kangaroos by emitting a range of sounds waves in the ultrasound spectrum.

The University of Melbourne did tests of the Shu Roo and said the kangaroos remain unfazed by it and David says it does not work but people keep buying the things and the company involved is clearly in breach of S52 of the Trade Practices Act which forbids "misleading and deceptive conduct". This is just another example of a company flouting the law and nobody doing anything about croaking them.

David's idea is for me to contact Patrick in Sydney to see if a bull/Roo Bar cannot be sourced to fit the Camargue. It's a worthy idea but the concept of having an ugly bulbar on the front of my Camargue does not float my boat at all.

I am left with the only thing I can do is cross about 116 kilometres of road infested with thousands of nasty kangaroos intent on destroying my Camargue's grill at a top speed of no more than 60 kilometres and hour (35mph).

The very idea of thinking I could ever find a second hand Camargue grill anywhere this side of Alpha Centurie let alone the hideous price of one even if I located it has me in a state of aghast.

So, I just thought I would put this matter up to see if any other contributors have some way of protecting one of the rarest Rolls Royce radiator grills ever made. I would estimate they are only 350-400 maximum left on the entire planet as we speak.

I would never think of driving that road at nighttime but these rotten furry jumprats travel very fast, are totally unpredictable and have suicidal tendencies akin to the lemmings and yes they can strike in the middle of the day too.

Kangaroos don't use cliffs, they use cars and trucks and ouch motorbikes too. Barbed wire fences mean nothing to them as they can leap clear over the fences.

Help!

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Thursday, 29 November, 2018 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir...
1) You are correct about the aesthetics of installing the device.
2) You are therefore left with:
a) Drive slowly (unlikely!)
b) Don't drive at all (even less likely!!)
Sorry to have to be the bearer of such sad tidings...
Oh, there is also
c) Drive with a partner vehicle in front of you (did I say unlikely?)

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 579
Posted on Thursday, 29 November, 2018 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir I feel your pain! At least down here they're smaller Eastern Greys not the big red monsters where you are. But then we have Wombats who are even more stupidly suicidal.

Shu Roo's are a joke. Have you considered a forward mounted Kalashnikov?

Or better still a Katyusha arrayed on the roof?

Maybe consider getting a friend drunk so they can drive 10metres in front of you in a sacrificial Holden?

Glen Poolen
Prolific User
Username: wgipps

Post Number: 135
Posted on Thursday, 29 November, 2018 - 01:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ball bar for sure.
A Camargue (is it pronouned CAM-AR-GOOEY in Australian?) with a bull bar would be a sight to see.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 2105
Posted on Thursday, 29 November, 2018 - 06:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi.

How about a quick release grill.

It takes less than a couple of minutes to remove a Spirit grill.

Instead of bolts at the bottom they have pegs similar to the bonnet stop pegs, and brackets with bonnet stop rubbers on at the bottom of the grill.

This means open the bonnet. Remove top bolts. Grill off.

I'm not sure how you will stop the Roos BBQing themselves on the rad and air con matrices but I will leave that up to you.

Perhaps a mad max style grill which slots in place instead. Titanium for strength and lightness. Slot together so it fits in the boot and you can swap over just before you reach civilisation? :D :D

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1748
Posted on Friday, 30 November, 2018 - 05:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I like Paul's plan.
I would go a stage further and make a wooden grill that you can paint silver for the road journeys and when you get to your destination - do a quick swap and you are good to go.

We used to have whistle devices that the Americans sold which you attached to your bumper. These tiny things were meant to give off a sound which again only animals could hear and were tuned for various speeds. I don't think I have seen those for sale for decades now.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1268
Posted on Friday, 30 November, 2018 - 08:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Top marks to Paul for the most practical efficient solution to my impending Camargue/Roo problem.

The Camargue does indeed have pegs at the bottom and therefore whilst crossing insane jump rat territory the grill shall be removed and replaced with some thing the discussion of which I will move to General Discussion.

Yes, well my intuition told me that when I was typing out the first post on this thread I may be a
Target for mirth raising wags and I was not disappointed.

Discussion now moved to GD.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: