Electrical gremlins Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Electrical gremlins « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glen Poolen
Frequent User
Username: wgipps

Post Number: 98
Posted on Wednesday, 31 October, 2018 - 02:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello again.
In the final phases of upgrades, and ive hit some issues with the dash lights and a couple of other bits. Ill post my problems here and see if you might make some suggestions as to where i might start.

Flasher can
Did the original RR ones have three pins? This one has a 2 pin modern replacement.
All the external indicators work.
I dont get the clicking noise when the indicator is on.
The indicator lights mounted within the speedo do not work.

Headlights.
Turns on from the dash switch.
High beam works from floor switch as it should. Blue indicator dash light works.
Tail lights work.
Brake lights work.

Highbeam flash from indicator stalk.
Doesnt work - it doesnt flash the high beams.
Doesnt indicate the high beam on blue dash light.
But it does flash the side front L/R (the ones on the quarter panels) indicators when they are on! So if i have the right turn indicator on and flick the indicator stalk to flash high beams, the side indicator flashes. This happens when i have the L turn indicator on as well.
Im guessing there is a problem in the switch that controls the turn signals and the high beam flash? Or maybe a crappy earth perhaps?

Interior lights.
Dash panel lights dont work.
Fuel guage light works - but really poorly.
Clock light doesnt work.
The 2 centre console/heater control area lights work.
The gear selector light works.
The lights that do work come on and off with the panel light dial - although im not sure there is a dim function, it just seems to be on and off. But im happy with that.

Other
The oil light on the start switch area (opposite the GEN light) - doesnt come on at all.
Ive tested with the oil tester push button switch - it makes the buzzing sound, the coolant light comes on, but it doesnt light up the oil light and it doesnt move on the fuel gauge oil indicator.

The passenger side map light - thats the switch next to the glove box - correct?

All the lights inside are brand new LED's - ill check the ones that arent working with other bulbs but i would suggest the bulbs are probably good.

My auto elec is here next weekend. Can i start please -
Is there an earth point for the dash lights?
Each of the gauge lights earth on the gauge themselves - correct?

thanks again

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3038
Posted on Wednesday, 31 October, 2018 - 04:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Glen, away from home right now and do not have access to my files but the following observations might help:

Cannot help with the 3 pin flasher other than a comment that the third pin might be for the 4 way hazard flasher. Need to check a wiring diagram for the flasher connections to be certain.

The 2W push-in dash panel gauge lights are ineffective and could be originally replaced with 5W units but the improvement was still less than desirable. I recall there is a post/thread on this forum describing fitting a minature LED bulb replacement. I am away from home using mobile broadband and will not be able to check further until next week. Earth connections/broken wires on the push-in bulbs can be a problem.

The headlight flasher problems will have to be worked through from the steering column indicator/flasher activation switch, relays, wiring loom. My initial suspicion is a faulty column multi-function switch or non-functioning chassis earth connections.

Oil light problem might be a failed bulb or faulty earth connection.

I presume the critical hydraulic system warning lights are functioning correctly.

Glen Poolen
Frequent User

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, 31 October, 2018 - 05:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The dash panel gauge lights - i have solved that problem with new LED's - i was going to update the forum on what i found LED wise throughout the whole car. :-) I saw the post you describe David - i know what youre talking about and have overcome that issue.

Hazard lights - push button light turns on.
But they dont flash - they just turn all the indicators to on.

The GEN and OIL lights. Both bulbs work. The capsules holding the lights need to be facing a particular way for the lights to work. I checked that and they are aligned. So the OIL light isnt a bulb problem - a job for my auto elec. It might be the sender itself given i cant get any pressure reading on the fuel gauge.

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 557
Posted on Wednesday, 31 October, 2018 - 07:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here is the section of the wiring diagram for the indicators, Hazard and Headlamp flash and associated relays.

The first thing I'd do is to test and/or replace the Hazard Flasher.

This is a small 2-pin tin can unit. You can access it by unscrewing the ignition barrel and pulling it forward - the flasher is on a bracket under the wires that feed from the barrel. You may need to reach under the dash as well to unscrew the bracket. The Hazard relay is on the same bracket.

Removing the relay is not easy but once again these don't often fail. Just check that none of the wires have been pulled off the relay and flasher during other work in the area and only remove the relay for testing once you've eliminated absolutely everything else.

If it's original the flasher will be square. The easiest replacement is from Repco but is round. You may need to make a new bracket. I used one of those screw-in Omega shaped tool holders that are usually screwed into walls to hold brooms etc.

Check also that the indicator flasher on the fuseboard is working and/or replace that one - you can go a bit more upmarket with this as it gets used a lot.

The headlamp "flash" function on the indicator switch works through a Blue/Black plastic wire which earths the flasher relay. This relay is in the engine compartment relay box near the driver's side blower motor. It is not usually the problem. Check that the blue/black wire is connected to the earth on the switch end first and then check that it's earthed.

This circuit is a bit mind bending so test every connection you see and clean up the switch with a bit of WD40. Often the problem is something simple like a flasher can burnt out or a loose connection.

Good luck!

p.s. the Hazard Warning fuse is in an unusual place - top right hand of the Driver's footwell along with the Rear Window Demist from memory. I'll check in the morning and let you know.

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 559
Posted on Wednesday, 31 October, 2018 - 08:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ah -I remembered this booklet I bought on ebay last year. I keep meaning to scan it for the archives. It includes this very useful Relay/Fuse/Flasher can location diagram. This is for RHD cars.

The booklet is called "Specification Improvements & Electrical Diagnoses Course 1972 - Rolls Royce Motors Ltd" and comes complete with hand scribbled notes and doodles from the original owner.

If anyone who has Adobe Reader on their computer would like to volunteer I'll separate the pages and send high-res jpegs of the whole booklet. These could then be posted on the site for user download.

It includes pages on the air-conditioning wiring, the intermittent wiper system, warning lights and much else.

n.b. The "Window Lift Isolation Relay" is present on Australian Delivery Cars but has no function.

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 560
Posted on Wednesday, 31 October, 2018 - 08:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Glen Poolen
Frequent User

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, 31 October, 2018 - 08:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"If anyone who has Adobe Reader on their computer would like to volunteer I'll separate the pages and send high-res jpegs of the whole booklet. These could then be posted on the site for user download."
I can do that Jeff

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 561
Posted on Wednesday, 31 October, 2018 - 08:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great. I'll do it first thing tomorrow and send them to you. :-)

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, 31 October, 2018 - 09:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The TSD manual shows where the major ground hubs are located and it would be wise to locate, clean and protect.

Glen Poolen
Prolific User

Post Number: 101
Posted on Wednesday, 31 October, 2018 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert - ive looked at the TSD wiring diagrams (OMG i think i am now blind) and aside from some earth points i dont see where the major earth hubs are located. Little help?

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 562
Posted on Wednesday, 31 October, 2018 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

They would be on the practical wiring diagrams. The three major ones inside the car are on the outside front of both footwells behind the triangular carpet pieces and beneath the front ashtray/seat switches. If you remove the console wood the seat switch section hinges back. I think the hazard switch earths to here.

The earth wires for the centre console all attach to a welded bolt on the hump with ring connectors and a nut. From memory you'll need an 8mm socket if you undo it (and very long fingers and some spare nuts to do it up again - the area is a black hole for anything smaller than a brick).

Because your hazards work without flashing this is unlikely to be the problem.

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 563
Posted on Thursday, 01 November, 2018 - 06:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Indicator bulbs in speedo possibly need replacing but re-reading the symptoms it's looking more and more likely to be a switch problem.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, 01 November, 2018 - 07:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There is one within the engine bay, facing forward near the headlamp relay and horn on the front panel below the headlamps. There are a few in the trunk. The practical wiring diagram and TSD in the beginning of the electrical section will actually show where they are. They are all above the body pan ie: not below the car. Also all braided ground straps should have clean contacts.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: