Headlight types Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Headlight types « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glen Poolen
Frequent User
Username: wgipps

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, 24 October, 2018 - 06:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Got a question about SRH17903 Shadow Series 1 -
"Does that car come with 5.75” quad headlights?"
Anyone?
Thanks
Glenn

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2664
Posted on Wednesday, 24 October, 2018 - 01:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes.

Sylvania H5006 Outer (low beam)
Sylvania H5001 Inner (high beam)

Or their equivalents from other manufacturers.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 2020
Posted on Sunday, 28 October, 2018 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Glen,

The original fitment for SSI was Lucas sealed beams.

You can still find these on the net if you have a good search.

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 273
Posted on Monday, 29 October, 2018 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As an option, Marchal ( factory or dealer fit) .Have them on my Corniche from 1973.

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 571
Posted on Monday, 29 October, 2018 - 05:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Glenn, if you are night driving , fitting Triumph Stagg Halogen units is worthwhile or 5.75" cibies.
I have cibies on my Shadow and my Bentley S and they are acceptable looking and vastly better than sealed beams.
Mark

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 2080
Posted on Monday, 29 October, 2018 - 09:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lucas do halogen conversions to. More in keeping than the flatter Cibies and also nicely made. £20 each roughly.

Glen Poolen
Frequent User

Post Number: 94
Posted on Monday, 29 October, 2018 - 09:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul
Do you have a link for those?
I found a reference for all new globes from Moss at about GBP89.
I want to upgrade both the normmal beam and hign beam to really bright long throw lights. Thinking halogen but want to keeo the classic light look.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3034
Posted on Tuesday, 30 October, 2018 - 08:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Glen,

Have a look and see if you can get after-market LED bulbs, they have a longer life, run cooler and use less power than halogen/xenon bulbs.

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master

Post Number: 573
Posted on Tuesday, 30 October, 2018 - 08:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David, We have problems with LED bulbs for statutory lighting in the UK as they breach construction and use regs as a retrofit. My insurers informed me they would void the policy if fitted to my S1 !
Mark

David Gore

Post Number: 3035
Posted on Tuesday, 30 October, 2018 - 08:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,

One day the MOT regulations will catch up with the rest of the world.

Our 4WD "off-road" community have embraced the LED system especially for long-range driving lights. I have a copy of a light evaluation test done a year or so ago in my archives; I will dig it out and post it in the Driver's Lounge for those interested in this technology.

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master

Post Number: 574
Posted on Tuesday, 30 October, 2018 - 09:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David, the problem I am informed is that Germany objects,and EU rules must be applied Roll on Brexit !!!!! We then might see where we are going in all respects.
Mark

Glen Poolen
Frequent User

Post Number: 96
Posted on Wednesday, 31 October, 2018 - 09:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ive seen pics of a SS1 with LED headlights - they look out of place because they are modern looking with flat lenses.
My understanding is that these are sealed beams which means the whole light unit is replaced. So im going to be looking at the Lucas or Sylvania units.
And yes - off roaders and 4WD enthusiasts love their LEDs for long through lighting. Theres a whole industry down here of supplying LED light bars to 4WD'ers.

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master

Post Number: 575
Posted on Wednesday, 31 October, 2018 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Glenn Phillips make LED bulbs to fit standard Halogen light units. They are excellent by all accounts but EU rules will not permit their use in the UK because they are not "E" marked and therefore fall foul of C&U regs. I had intended to fit Phillips LED bulbs to the Cibie headlights in my S1, but fitted legal +150% halogens instead.
Mark

David Gore

Post Number: 3036
Posted on Wednesday, 31 October, 2018 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark, how time flies when you are getting older....

Here is the article I was referring to above - it is dated 2016 and things have changed a lot since then. The important aspect is the range and spread capablilities of the LED lights for relatively low current draw/heat generation. Ignore the appearance of the driving lights in the pictures as there is no way a light of this appearance would be fitted to a R-R/B.

https://www.4x4australia.com.au/gear/electronics-gadgets/1604/round-led-driving-lights-comparison

The LED bulbs I am referring to are a "H" type LED bulb installed in a conventional semi-sealed beam round headlight unit:

https://www.philips.com.au/c-p/12953BWX2/x-treme-ultinon-led-headlight-bulb

Glen Poolen
Frequent User

Post Number: 97
Posted on Wednesday, 31 October, 2018 - 01:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Please correct me if i am wrong - but these are sealed beam lights which means you cant change the bulb - you need to change the whole light. Correct?
I am looking to get really good headlights and high beams. Id be happy with LEDs - ive got a good set of Philips LEDs in the reverse lights and they are outstanding.
I am still on my L plates here. Am i getting some halogen bulbs to go into these headlights, or am I buying a good set of Philips LEDs, or am i getting a whole new kit from Sylvania or Lucas?
If we are simply discussing headlights, what about high beams?

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 556
Posted on Wednesday, 31 October, 2018 - 03:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Glenn. You need to replace the sealed ones with lenses. I went with Cibies (not the flat ones) but google various above suggestions.

Then you need bulbs. Check Vic laws on LEDs. They might not be street legal in Vic if aftermarket. If so go halogen.

There are many options for 5 1/2 inch lenses as replacement kits on ebay. Bulbs are available everywhere.

David Gore

Post Number: 3037
Posted on Wednesday, 31 October, 2018 - 03:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Glen,

Semi-sealed beam headlights were a lens and reflector housing with a fitting that allowed replacement bulbs to be fitted when necessary.

A cost-minimising measure as the original light housing could be reused when the filament[s] failed instead of having to be scrapped and a complete new replacement fitted.

Several brands are available from auto spare parts dealers however you may have to fit a "H" base connector to the existing wiring to suit the LED bulbs. You should not have to change the wiring as the LED current will be significantly less than that of the existing filament/halogen bulb [approx. 20% of a traditional equivalent incandescent bulb] as they do not generate heat like the traditional bulbs.

https://www.autoelecwarehouse.com.au/HELLA-Semi-Sealed-Headlamp-Inserts-146mm-Round-s/2159.htm

Narva and Hansa equivalents should also be available.

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master

Post Number: 576
Posted on Wednesday, 31 October, 2018 - 07:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David, these were the Phillips LEDs I wanted to fit, easily available in the UK, but not road legal. Hopefully we are looking forward to a lees "RED TAPE" future.
Mark

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: