No Start 1975 Shadow RHD Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » No Start 1975 Shadow RHD « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Greene
Prolific User
Username: benzjag

Post Number: 105
Posted on Saturday, 29 September, 2018 - 07:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Drove my 75 RHD Shadow this morning. It started with no problem at all. I restarted the car several times, but suddenly, it would not restart. Luckily, I was in my driveway.

When I turn the key, the engine will not even turn over. The battery is new;I tested it under load & it is fine. I have constant power to the large wire at the starter solenoid but NO power on the smaller push in wire at the solenoid when I try to crank the car with the key in the ignition. I also do not have power to the red/white wire that plugs into the starter relay when I turn the key to start. I moved the gear selector back & forth several times but no change. Is there a fuse for the starter? I did not see it in the fuse box. I understand the current goes from the ignition switch to the switch in the steering and then to the gear actuator before going to the relay. I have never tested beyond the relay,therefore, ANY help appreciated! I'm at a dead end!

Thanks!

Richard

h_kelly
Prolific User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 255
Posted on Saturday, 29 September, 2018 - 08:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard, when you turn ignition on and move gear lever ,can you hear the actuator select a gear. The reason I ask this is to rule out a problem with actuator (neutral/park )selection. Other suggestion, open fuse cabinet and check power to each fuse with a 12v test light, on occasions, the copper holding the fuses may need a gentle clean to maintain contact?. In the fuse box,you may see a "RELAY" with red button on top, this may need to be reset(just press).
Have you tried pressing the solenoid push start , just below blower motor on RHD car(safety warranted as car may start)ie hand brake, and neutral gear.

Richard Greene
Prolific User

Post Number: 106
Posted on Saturday, 29 September, 2018 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I didn't notice if the actuator selected a gear when I moved the lever. I will check tomorrow. I will check all the fuses as well. I have never heard of the "solenoid push start". Could you tell me more? Is it in the motor compartment below the blower motor (RHD)? THANKS!

h_kelly
Prolific User

Post Number: 256
Posted on Sunday, 30 September, 2018 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard, just checked shadow 2 doesn't have solenoid but the old shadow one had,below blower fan between chassis rail and manifold

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2027
Posted on Sunday, 30 September, 2018 - 02:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Hubert

As I recall, you had an early Shadow as I remember you mentioning the twin points. Interesting that these cars had a solenoid push start. My 74 SY1 does not have one. They must have been deleted quite early on. A retrograde step in my opinion.

h_kelly
Prolific User

Post Number: 257
Posted on Sunday, 30 September, 2018 - 04:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Geoff,it was very handy when setting points pre electronic ignition. She is now on main land Europe,probably enjoying the Sun. Glad to see you figured the heater box situation.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2028
Posted on Sunday, 30 September, 2018 - 04:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Hubert

Thanks re: the heater box.

I've fitted a starter solenoid jump switch on my car. This was after I nearly got stranded 40 miles from home with a clicking starter motor. The fault turned out to be a previous owner had wired the solenoid directly to the ignition switchbox, bypassing the (faulty) starter relay. A bodge of the highest order that risked destroying the expensive switchbox.

The jump switch is not as good as a solenoid push switch as it still relies on the solenoid working, however I like the option of an alternative method of cranking the engine should any part of the 44 year old wiring go faulty.

a

I will of course remove it if I ever sell the car because of the obvious safety hazard.

h_kelly
Prolific User

Post Number: 258
Posted on Sunday, 30 September, 2018 - 05:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff, nice work,ya got me thinking now.

Richard Greene
Prolific User

Post Number: 107
Posted on Sunday, 30 September, 2018 - 05:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

UPDATE:

I found the problem quickly this morning. I checked if the gear actuator was working when moving the lever. Sure enough, it was NOT. I pressed the red reset button in the fuse box, and the car started instantly. I'm not sure why it had to be reset!

h_kelly, I SINCERELY appreciate your help. You exemplify what a forum should be like. I just bought a Bentley Arnage and sadly, the help is almost zero! This is an awesome forum with such dedicated members who help each other.

In summary to possibly helping someone, here are some of the things I had done to find why the starter would not turn over the engine when turning the key. First check the starter relay which on my 75 RHD is just to the right of the cruise control bellow unit and windshield wipers motor. The number is 33336F on the relay. There are 2 white/red wires at the bottom of the relay. They should have power when turning the ignition switch to start the car. Mine did not. Therefore, I knew the problem was from the starter relay further back toward the ignition. I understand the path of current goes from the ignition switch to the gear selector switch to the gear actuator to the starter relay and then to the starter solenoid on the starter. One would have to check each of the components to see if there is current. I had also had check at the starter which is easy to get to the connections. I had constant power to the large wire and no power on the smaller wire which comes from the starter relay (which gets its power by turning the ignition switch).

Long story short, in my case, there was no power to the starter relay (and to starter selenoid) because the gear selector switch was not sending power to the gear actuator and then to the starter relay (and on to the starter selenoid). Pressing the red reset button in the fuse box restored power to the to the gear lever switch, to the gear actuator and to the starter relay.

Thanks again h_kelly for suggesting to check the gear actuator!

Richard

Larry Kavanagh
Prolific User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 217
Posted on Sunday, 30 September, 2018 - 06:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great result, beautiful Silver Shadow.

h_kelly
Prolific User

Post Number: 259
Posted on Sunday, 30 September, 2018 - 07:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard, glad your back on the road.love your car by the way.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Sunday, 30 September, 2018 - 08:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi glad you got your car fixed, Your Arnage is from a different era and presents different problems, mainly electrical and harder for the amateur to diagnose, read as much as you can, lovely looking Shadow.

Richard.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 2013
Posted on Sunday, 30 September, 2018 - 09:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great result richard, and as the others have stated, a fantastic looking car.
Any pics you can add of inside or under the bonnet?

Larry Kavanagh
Prolific User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 219
Posted on Sunday, 30 September, 2018 - 09:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

and appropriately parked for such a superior vehicle that deserves at least 2 parking spaces! lol.

Richard Greene
Prolific User

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, 02 October, 2018 - 04:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Just for you!

Richard

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: