Exhaust manifold gaskets Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Exhaust manifold gaskets « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

leonard stampton
Experienced User
Username: 1000leonard

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, 25 September, 2018 - 06:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi forum members! Does any one out there have the dimensions for the exhaust manifold gaskets, especially the large central hole?

They appear to these eyes to be bog standard V eight manifold gaskets and therefore available locally here in Australia.

The examples on offer I have seen so far are made from the same ancient material I used during my youth! They were not terribly robust as I remember and longevity could best be described as short lived.

Is a more modern and effective replacement material available these days?

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2021
Posted on Wednesday, 26 September, 2018 - 04:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Leonard

I include a picture below of the gasket for my 74 SY1. The part number is UE 73544. I believe it is the same for the series 2 cars.

It was hard to take accurate measurements as the gasket is not a precision part. The central hole is not perfectly round, ranging from 42.7mm to just over 43mm. The diameter of the outer holes for the studs was 8mm, and the distance between them 74mm. All figures approximate.

a

Larry Kavanagh
Prolific User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 216
Posted on Wednesday, 26 September, 2018 - 09:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Leonard, it's been a few years since I fitted the manifold gaskets to my Silver Shadow 11. They were the same as Geoff's above. The manifold end joints tend to become slightly rounded and it's a good idea to rub them on a long strip of sandpaper on a bench i.e., sanding them all at the same time rather than rubbing each outlet port separately (which could cause slight differences in length between the pipes). The bolts holding the manifold to the head tend to loosen over time, I think it's caused by expansion & contraction as the exhaust heats & cools but it's a good idea to nip the bolts up every year or so when the engine is cold, they may take a 1/4 turn or less but it's worth keeping an eye on.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 2023
Posted on Wednesday, 26 September, 2018 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Larry

That's what I found when I replaced my exhaust manifold gaskets. I was surprised that some of the bolts were so loose. On most cars they are rusted solid.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 919
Posted on Wednesday, 26 September, 2018 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff...
Replacing the EGR to exhaust manifold gasket and one snapped stud on my Spur is close at hand and when I discussed it with Mark at ACME he noted that the manifold needs to come off and all the surfaces properly machined. I expressed angst about rusted manifold studs that typically snap off causing even more problems and he noted that fortunately RR uses bolts instead of studs and they typically come off without issue. Thankful for such design foresight!!

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 2024
Posted on Wednesday, 26 September, 2018 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Christian

Agreed. I once had to confront the problem of a sheared off exhaust stud on a TR3 I once owned. As you say, thankful for such design foresight on the Rolls.

leonard stampton
Experienced User
Username: 1000leonard

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, 26 September, 2018 - 08:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many thanks Geoff for the measurements I was after and the photo to back them up. Also for Larry and Christian's comments.

I wanted to wait until the replacement gaskets were here before taking the car off the road to fix the manifold leaks and waste some of our Spring driving weather.

Patrick Francis
Prolific User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 252
Posted on Tuesday, 16 October, 2018 - 07:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Leonard,
I have had to replace my exhaust manifold gaskets on the left hand side, and also found loose bolts.
When you do it, please make sure that the manifold is not warped as mine was, otherwise you will have to replace them twice! As I had to...…
Apparently it is quite common for the manifold to warp and need machining.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: