Cruise control change Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Cruise control change « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glen Poolen
Frequent User
Username: wgipps

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, 18 September, 2018 - 04:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Customisation - out with the old and coming with the new.
Has anyone successfully swapped the bellows type cruise control on SS1 for an electronic version? Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket cruise control that works well?w

John G.
Frequent User
Username: john116

Post Number: 78
Posted on Tuesday, 18 September, 2018 - 05:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It had been done to my car by a previous owner when I initially got my car. They had wired it into the standard RR cruise control switches. I removed it and put back the original vacuum/bellows system. So sorry, I can't be of much help, apart from to say I've seen it done.

Glen Poolen
Frequent User

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, 18 September, 2018 - 05:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"They had wired it into the standard RR cruise control switches." Thats exactly what i want to do.

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 528
Posted on Tuesday, 18 September, 2018 - 05:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have been considering this unit because it looks almost stock. It can also be installed using the switch and wiring for the existing setup.

I installed the later Shadow II switch on the gear lever and replaced the horizontal trim piece where the old switch was, with one from a pre-cruise control Shadow - you can also cut down a SSII door ashtray (plenty on fleabay) to fit in the space as a small change tray or garage remote holder.

I rather don't mind the original cruise control with its quirky speedup/slowdown operation but if I ever get around to it this is the unit I'd choose.

Sold by these people.

http://www.hsmotors.com.au/cruise-control/

Martin Taylor
Prolific User
Username: martin_taylor

Post Number: 138
Posted on Tuesday, 18 September, 2018 - 05:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The command cruise unit can be used, the factory switches can be used to simulate the resistances required to give the correct inputs. The system requires magnets on the drive or half shafts for a speed input on an early shadow at least.
Easier to get the cable to pull on the pedal directly than in the same place as the factory linkage if you dont want to see the installation.

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 529
Posted on Tuesday, 18 September, 2018 - 05:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Also Glen. I'm curious about those mirrors you removed. The holes in the steel frame look like they're for the standard SSI mirrors (useless tiny bloody things) but yours appear to have been aftermarket ones that fit in the same holes. Any idea what they are?

Glen Poolen
Frequent User

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, 18 September, 2018 - 07:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff - i have absolutely no idea - can post more pics if you would like?

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 530
Posted on Tuesday, 18 September, 2018 - 08:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Glen,
Just one of the bracket that holds the arm on. Also how far apart are the holes? I made my own mirrors by adapting a pair of classic Torana mirrors to fit the original arms.

Glen Poolen
Frequent User

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, 18 September, 2018 - 08:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff
Can mail the whole thing to you if you want.
Its rubbish to me now.

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 531
Posted on Tuesday, 18 September, 2018 - 08:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ah - I see what it is. Its the square version of the original mirror head by TEX. In the picture on the other thread it appeared to be an American period mirror with the hollow arm.

If you don't want the TEX arm(s) I'm continually playing with designs for more functional mirrors using these arms and could use them in my experiments. My Torana modified heads have convex truck mirror glass and a ball and pin from yet a third type of mirror.

Many people upgrade to the Shadow II arms but I don't want to drill holes in the body to do it and I'm not a fan of the look.

Glen Poolen
Frequent User

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, 18 September, 2018 - 09:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

the passenger side mirror appears to be a generic brand cheapy that mounted on the door.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: