Automatic Choke Unit on 1972 Shadow S... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Automatic Choke Unit on 1972 Shadow SRH 13952 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alan Scard
Experienced User
Username: alanscard

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, 03 September, 2018 - 01:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Automatic Choke Unit on 1972 Shadow SRH 13952.
1. As I drove my car out of the garage the high-pressure pipe from the rear pump to the accumulator decided to leak and spray hydraulic oil everywhere. Of course, it has now taken the paint of the B rocker box cover so I have now taken both rocker box covers off and stripped the paint ready for my paint sprayer to give me a high gloss black paint job. I did wonder abought painting the ROLLS-ROYCE in white but not sure how successful it would be. Has anyone any luck on doing this and how did they do it?
2. As I have taken the carbs off the car I thought I would also get the 2 carb assembly ducts p/n UE 36177 and 31737 painted gloss black as well. Whilst on a paint roll I though the black choke unit could do with painting as well. When taking the choke cover p/n UE9170 off I found a metal ring loose sitting over the thermostat cover p/n UE33858. I cannot find any reference to this part but it seems to line up with 3 holes and 2 spigots in the black cover. The 3 holes are tapped with 5BA threads. I just wonder if the original stove pipe may have used 3 x 5BA screws which fitted into this metal ring. My car has been fitted with what I think are non-standard stove pipes made up of copper pipes with some heat resistance cover over the top, which is now falling off. I have attached some photos of the parts in question and would appreciate any comments from the Rolls experts around the world
Regards Alan in the UK
Choke unit photosChoke unit photos

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 2062
Posted on Wednesday, 03 October, 2018 - 06:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, Paint the rocker cover black then sand back the Rolls-Royce and border to aluminium, then clear lacquer the lot. Brake caliper paint is heat and brake fluid resistant.

The plate on the left with what look like locating pins should be inside the shroud on the right. The locating pins should be fixings to hold it together as a single piece.

There should be a shroud over the stove pipe union that is fixed with three small pan head screws.

Hope this helps.

Steve Emmott
Experienced User
Username: steve_e

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, 07 December, 2018 - 02:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

Just out of interest did your now painted black choke casting metal cover(seen now on your 'stove pipes remade' thread all fitted) have the inner heat insulation sleeve inside. This is fitted inside the painted cover, with the metal plate as Paul mentions.

Also the metal top hat shroud Paul refers to over the union missing on your car also has an inner insulation sleeve. I doubt this small insulated one would make much difference but the one inside the larger cover probably would have a small timing effect on the heat retention for the choke spring operation.

Obviously this area had been worked on previously and the parts just not replaced correctly.

Pictures show how mine is. My car preceeds yours by about 500 but still a 1972.

Alan Scard
Experienced User

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, 08 December, 2018 - 05:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Steve,
My black painted cover over the thermostat housing, p/n UE9170 has insulation inside. My car did not have a "top hat" cover p/n UE 9166. Until you pointed this out on your message, I did not realise that it existed. Interesting UE 9166 was fitted on standard cars upto 22117 but deleted from 22118 to 26700. My car is SRH 13952 built in 1972.

Steve Emmott
Experienced User
Username: steve_e

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, 09 December, 2018 - 04:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Alan,

That is good news the cover had the insulation inside and I am sure you could find the shroud at many breakers for a few pounds if you don't want to be marked down by a concours judge

However did you also just check the exhaust manifold tube for leakage. It is well worth removing anyway and checking the condition of the piping as they do rot through quite quickly over time and stop the auto choke working properly.

It may have been replaced when someone previously remade your stove pipes but still well worth a look see.

You are a mindful of information regarding part numbers.............I can't even remember my own phone number let alone passwords nowadays......or even sometimes what I ever went into the garage for

I do have my RR spare parts though all nicely listed, so did find the exhaust manifold spare I keep on hand. Albeit they are easy to have repaired I just hate the wait getting spares so have tried to amass lots of bits over the years especially as I had the car in South France for 15 years I needed parts easily available.

Alan Scard
Experienced User

Post Number: 34
Posted on Sunday, 09 December, 2018 - 05:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Steve,
I did check that the pipe within the exhaust manifold seems to be ok by using a "blow and suck" method. Although the 2 nuts came off the manifold tube ok, I could not free the tube and I did not want to break anything. If I ever need to remove the exhaust manifold, then when it is on the bench I will take off the tube and inspect it. Many thanks for the photo of what it actually looks like.

Steve Janosik
Experienced User
Username: catullus

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, 12 December, 2018 - 07:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you all for sharing this helpful information!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: