Door slamming Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Door slamming « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tony Taylor
New User
Username: ajt

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, 29 August, 2018 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is my first post as the new owner of SRH40250. The driver's door is requiring a very forceful slam to fully close, and the passenger door will not open unless it has also been slammed shut beforehand.
I have done a search on this site, but come up with numerous threads starting with 'Silver Shadow' but not relevant to this issue.
I have an independent service person who would, I expect, fix this in short time but I want to learn as much as possible about maintaining my fabulous car before I wheel her in to him.
Any comments gratefully received.
So much to learn..

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3004
Posted on Wednesday, 29 August, 2018 - 02:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Tony,

Best case scenario is the doors are seriously out-of-alignment and just need adjusting.

Worst case is the vehicle has been in a major accident and the body is permanently distorted making realignment difficult if not impossible.

Jim Walters
Prolific User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 188
Posted on Wednesday, 29 August, 2018 - 04:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Tony, a couple things to check. The screws that hold the latch mechanism into the door can work loose, check that they are tight. Make sure the outside handle button is free to move in and fully out. There is an O ring inside the handle button that deteriorates and if it does not come back all the way out after pushing to open it will prevent the door latch from operating properly. Try a little WD40 around the button to free it up. If neither of those two things are at fault, you may have to adjust the door post catch.

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 265
Posted on Thursday, 30 August, 2018 - 07:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Tony, as Jim says, lub button. used to do this as part of service. Also, on back of button is bolt and locknut. If this adjustment incorrect lock will "snag" on striker when button pushed to open door.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: