Won't shift into park Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Won't shift into park « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 862
Posted on Tuesday, 28 August, 2018 - 01:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I probably had an FTP the day before heading on holiday but I wasn't having any of it so I just worked around the problem all day.

I lost the ability to shift into park but all the other positions work.

The relay that normally clicks when you move the shifter does click, but not when moved between R and P.

The only diagnosis I did was to pull the column apart and make sure the contacts were touching and to jump the contact to make sure it was beyond the column.

So.

1. The clicking shift relay is one single relay?

2. The shift relay is in the dash under the dash top cover?

If I have to pull the dash cover I'll document it with photos.

h_kelly
Prolific User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 252
Posted on Tuesday, 28 August, 2018 - 07:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross, it may be a fault at the auctator on gearbox. If nothing else works take plug from actuator and test same, use 12 volt test lamp to ensure same receiving power.You can also test actuator by placing 12 volt over each pin on actuator, (same should move gear selector).Disconnect actuator lever from gearbox before you start to reduce possibility of damaging same

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, 28 August, 2018 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The earlier Shadows used a multipin connector at the gearbox actuator. I would check for corrosion and add some dielectric grease on the pins.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1654
Posted on Wednesday, 29 August, 2018 - 03:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good luck Ross. I am sure you will crack this one.... it seems like it will be an easy repair for you.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 863
Posted on Monday, 24 September, 2018 - 01:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Finally got around to addressing thd park situation on srh 8824.

Soooo...

I popped the clamshell on the column and 12v to the swiper and 12v to the wire on the other side going to the harness.

I popped the connector on the shift servo and plotted the pinouts. No 12v on any pin when in park.I think that the A pin is actually park so don't trust the mapping.

Checked the firewall connector behind the brake reservoir and mapped the pinouts.

After cleaning the firewall connector I got power to the connector at the shift servo when putting the car into park, but still the servo won'y shift.

I will have a look at the wiring diagram, but I think I have to pull and repair the servo.

That's the current state of the park shift mystery.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3012
Posted on Monday, 24 September, 2018 - 07:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross,

I recall from the dim past that the R-R/B T400 actuator is the same as the one used with the early 1960's Chrysler "push button" Torqueflite automatic transmissions fitted to the R and S series Valiant and other models.

This might help if the actuator is the problem.

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 508
Posted on Monday, 24 September, 2018 - 08:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David, I wonder why RR/B didn't use buttons instead, seems much better idea to me.
I like the idea of a knob like jag BMW etc, think I'll mod mine.
Mike

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, 24 September, 2018 - 09:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

De-oxit and dielectric grease is your friend with these connectors.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 864
Posted on Tuesday, 25 September, 2018 - 08:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert,

I used a SS brush and Triflow? Spray lube. I don't know much about it but I have a case of it.

David,

Good to know. I will just fix this one. Things don't break as much as get dirty or out of adjustment. I'm hoping a clean and adjustment does it up.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3013
Posted on Tuesday, 25 September, 2018 - 08:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Michael,

The long lead time for the Shadow project was most likely the reason why push buttons were not considered.

Also, it is interesting push button transmission selection had a short life and had disappeared by the mid-1960's being replaced by the ubiquitous floor-mounted selector and bucket seats. The traditional front bench seat disappeared as well and the mandating of front seat belts which meant the end of your girlfriend sitting close to you.

Those were the days.......................

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: