Shadow I engine into a Shadow II Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Shadow I engine into a Shadow II « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John G.
Frequent User
Username: john116

Post Number: 75
Posted on Sunday, 22 July, 2018 - 06:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I know one of the accumulators moved sides to accommodate the rack and pinion steering, but are the any other issues to contend with in trying to do this?

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 990
Posted on Sunday, 22 July, 2018 - 09:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John what is your situation that you need to
know. that might help to get the right answers.

Richard.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1937
Posted on Sunday, 22 July, 2018 - 03:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Exhaust manifolds, change carbs etc, distributor,
fan assembly, oil filter assembly, still thinking about torque converter!

John G.
Frequent User
Username: john116

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, 24 July, 2018 - 04:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I guess just looking at options, as efforts to date to get my Shadow II engine running properly are driving me to drink. There are a number of running, but poor condition Shadow I's that come up for sale relatively cheaply, so I thought an engine swap could be viable.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 851
Posted on Tuesday, 24 July, 2018 - 05:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Reading between the lines of what P.L. is saying is "not for the faint of heart"

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 259
Posted on Tuesday, 24 July, 2018 - 05:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thought about early Spirit? Mechanically closer to Shadow 11 apart from brake pumps. UK cars on carbs up to 1986 MY. (seals not compatible with RR363) as all Spirits mineral cars.

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User

Post Number: 260
Posted on Tuesday, 24 July, 2018 - 05:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My previous post sounds incorrect, I meant that brake pumps not compatible-nothing to do with carbs!

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 201
Posted on Wednesday, 25 July, 2018 - 04:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

SY crankcase part number UE39943 starting with chassis number 23978 (approx. late '75, early '76) - has accumulators on opposite sides like the SSII cars. Depending on the year of your car, the only difference is likely to be that the '76 block still has the rear scroll seal whereas later blocks incorporate a rear lip seal. This won't affect installation.

http://BritishToolWorks.com

Nigel Johnson
Prolific User
Username: nigel_johnson

Post Number: 169
Posted on Friday, 27 July, 2018 - 08:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Gordon, our early Spirit ACH01253 still has the brake pumps with the nuts on top My other Spirit BCH03620 has the later type.
Nigel.

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User

Post Number: 261
Posted on Monday, 30 July, 2018 - 04:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nigel, did not explain myself clearly Spirit = mineral oil/seals, Shadow =RR363. If pumps etc are going to be used from one to another the seals must be compatible with system oil. Corniche is more difficult as they were effectively a running change, i think 50,000 chassis on they were mineral.

Nigel Johnson
Prolific User
Username: nigel_johnson

Post Number: 170
Posted on Monday, 30 July, 2018 - 09:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nor did I Gordon. ACH 01253 was registered on the 3rd of December 1980 and along with the early mineral brake pumps has a Shadow 2 petrol filter and Detroit couplings on the half shafts so basically Shadow 2 running gear. The '81 has the later pumps, petrol filter and lobro shafts. Possibly a few more differences I've not come across. Regards, Nigel.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: