MPH and KMH speedos Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » MPH and KMH speedos « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glen Poolen
Experienced User
Username: wgipps

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, 21 July, 2018 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a question about speedometers.

While searching this forum for details about the headlamp wipers of SS2's, I came across this in an old post -
.......owner of a 1979 Silver Shadow II. The VIN is SRX 37090. While purchased in Canada, and the only history I have on the car is from Canada I believe it was delivered to a market other than Canada. It has the brushes to clean the head lights and it also has VIN decals from Germany (that say "Silver Shedow", the way you would spell it in German, very funny). The speedometer is in km, and the current reading says 110,000........

Speedo in KPH not MPH.

Firstly is that right - a KPH speedo? secondly would it be a simple swap for my MPH speedo? Thirdly, if it was a simple swap, I beleive i would need a KMH speedo cable?

Is anyone able to enlighten me on this?

Robert J. Sprauer
Experienced User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 44
Posted on Saturday, 21 July, 2018 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The speedo receives a signal from the transmission. It is electronic and not mechanical. You will notice it on the actuator side of the gearbox toward the rear.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1616
Posted on Saturday, 21 July, 2018 - 02:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Glen,
You can fit either an MPH or Km/h speedo in your dash and they will be totally interchangeable.
If you have a Km/h speedo and you prefer an MPH one I will be happy to swap with you.
Thanks
Omar

Glen Poolen
Experienced User

Post Number: 41
Posted on Saturday, 21 July, 2018 - 02:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

thanks Omar - i have an MPH one, but im a KMH kinda guy.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2596
Posted on Saturday, 21 July, 2018 - 02:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Glen,

Is yours not marked with KPH on the "inner circle"? Both of my SY2 cars are.

I realize that this is not the same as having the primary outer circle represent the measurement of custom where you live, but I'm curious as I've had to switch (on very rare occasions, the last of which was 20 years ago) to "reading the inside" when I drove into Canada.

Brian

Glen Poolen
Experienced User

Post Number: 42
Posted on Saturday, 21 July, 2018 - 03:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian
Mines a standard MPH with KMH in the inner circle.
Im just looking for that extra individualisation - nothing more. So im on the hunt for a KMH dial now.

Mark Herbstreit
Prolific User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 192
Posted on Saturday, 21 July, 2018 - 08:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just to be clear Glen. Your Shadow "one" has a cable speedo. The Shadow II has an electronic speedo. The diameter might be different also? It might be better to have an instrument repairer redo the dial in KM. The odometer of course will continue to read in miles.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1983
Posted on Sunday, 22 July, 2018 - 09:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Glen.
If your car is a Shadow I, the speedo diameters and make are also different.
European & US delivered cars run a larger Smith’s speedo.
Oz delivered cars run a smaller diameter VDO unit.

Glen Poolen
Experienced User

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, 22 July, 2018 - 04:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

bugger

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1938
Posted on Sunday, 22 July, 2018 - 05:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This UK company may help you:
http://www.clusterrepairsuk.co.uk/kmh-to-mph-dials

Glen Poolen
Experienced User

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, 22 July, 2018 - 07:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks guys.
Ill see what i can manage. Hopefully the UK people might make a face that is an easy swap out.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: