Not another Shadow I brake question! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Not another Shadow I brake question! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Anson
Prolific User
Username: bentleybloke

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, 14 July, 2005 - 08:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well my Shadow One is now up and running after two years of standing unused. After freeing the sticking handbrake pads off to move the car I started the engine. No warning lights stay on after the engine fires and all the bulbs work OK.
My problem is the brake pedal travel. When you first put your foot down there is what sounds like a hiss from under the drivers seat. (I am presuming its from the brake parts under the floor pan). The pedal drops right down to the floor with about two inches off the carpet. When you drive the car, the brakes will work but they are quite sharp and they can lock on and skid if pressed too sharply.

How do I get the brake pedal back up? Is there a set procedure for bleeding or working on the brakes?
The whole system seems like you need a degree in engineering to work out how it operates.
Many thanks Mark

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 486
Posted on Thursday, 14 July, 2005 - 02:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,

My first suspicion is that the low pressure master cylinder is "Kaput" - this was purely to provide pedal feel rather than braking assistance however the little it does provide helps in the event of total hydraulic failure!

You really need the workshop manual before you even contemplate working on the hydraulic system then a couple of days on this site going through the archives with the manual in hand to comprehend the information being provided.

At this stage, I would obtain a master cylinder overhaul kit and fix the master cylinder before bleeding the low pressure circuit in the conventional way [i.e. by gravity or the luxury of a vacuum bleeder if you have one]. Once this is done, you should have pedal feel and be able to modulate your braking to acceptable levels of comfort and then determine what has to be done next.

As usual, I think our contributors will be able to help you but you do need that manual to provide the necessary background information

Gus Brogden
Experienced User
Username: gus

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, 02 December, 2008 - 03:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a Shadow one brake question (one that I think I know the answer to). I bought a 68 shadow the other day, SRX2838, overall in nice shape, but as expected, it needs all the fluids and hoses changed. The factory handbook (nice to have) says Castrol-Girling brake and clutch fluid crimsom to S.A.E. 70R3 must be used. Is this the original RR363? It looks like a typical 363 system to me and I have lots of it.... It shouldn't be a problem using 363 should it?

Paul Yorke
Prolific User
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 250
Posted on Tuesday, 02 December, 2008 - 04:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Gus,

yes, it's R363 now.

As usual, flush & bleed with DOT 3 or 4 then when you are happy everything is correct, empty and bleed with R363

Gus Brogden
Experienced User
Username: gus

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, 02 December, 2008 - 07:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Paul, thats what I thought. SRX2838 has a good set of bones and its worth saving. Its been in Canada over 30 years and never seen a winter. Its a nice compliment to SRF31065, and for its age, its worth making right. I'll post pix of both when I'm done.