Electrical problems after engine rebuilt Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Electrical problems after engine rebuilt « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Blommaert Bruce
Yet to post message
Username: bibi

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, 16 July, 2018 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear friends,
After a successful complete engine rebuilt of my Silver Shadow II, we encounter several electrical problems that were not there before the restauration.
Strangely now the test lamp panel doesn’t light up on start, the seats have no power, the fuse from the wipers always burns, fuel and temperature indication no longer works.
But the car runs super.
Hopefully someone can help us out.
Greetz from Belgium.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1031
Posted on Monday, 16 July, 2018 - 04:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bruce, welcome to the forum. It's always a disappointment to have fiddly little problems after a full engine rebuild.

Taking into consideration all the electrical problems you are having it seems to me that somehow you have damaged the wiring harness somewhere.

The fact that your wiper fuse keeps blowing would indicate a short circuit between the live side of the wiper circuit and earth which is anywhere on the body or chassis. So I would go straight to the wiper motor itself and then using your fingers and a small dentist's mirror trace all the wires back to their source.

The other electrical problems are likely to be an open circuit, that is to say somewhere you have cut wires completely in half.

An additional problem may also be that there is an earth strap from the body to the engine which has not been reconnected.

Overhaul you should not drive the car at present at all nor leave the car with the earth terminal on the battery and when the battery is connected you need to have a fire extinguisher somewhere close to put out a fire unless you want the car to go up in a ball of flame.

If you are not an auto electrician or a mechanic with many years experience, your least painful method of repair is going to be hiring a reputable auto electrician to locate and repair the faults. That could set you back a few thousand dollars depending on how long it takes an auto electrician to locate the problem.

Your car is decades old and just moving the wiring that goes from the body to the engine can cause many problems as past engine heat may well of made the insulation over wiring brittle and likely to crack causing bare wiring to come into contact with other bare wiring that it should not be in contact with.

I repeat do not drive the car in its present state and always have the earth terminal at the battery in the boot/trunk disconnected when you are not close to the car.

Good luck. Vladimir

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1607
Posted on Monday, 16 July, 2018 - 04:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

sound advice from Vlad.
I would also look for connectors that have not been connected (or become separated)

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1995
Posted on Monday, 16 July, 2018 - 05:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Welcome to the group Bruce.

I agree, sound advice from Vlad.

I guess my approach would be to tackle each fault separately and methodically using a meter and wiring diagram. It is quite possible you will then find a common cause for all of them, as Vlad suggested.

Many owners fit a master on/off switch on the earth strap of the battery. I always isolate my car electrics in this way every time I park it in the garage.

Since you are new to the group I thought I'd point out that the workshop manuals including wiring diagrams can be found on the link below. These have very kindly been made available by the RR Owners Club of Australia. Also check out tee-one topics which is a treasure trove of information for these cars.

http://rrtechnical.info/

Geoff

Robert J. Sprauer
Experienced User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, 16 July, 2018 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Were the firewall harnesses unplugged? When I totally restored my Wraith I removed everything from the engine bay, labeled everything, took notes and pics. I do plan to show the car only at RR meets. The firewall connectors will oxidize and should have been sprayed with de-oxit and a brass brush and then a dab of dielectric grease before plugging back in. I had no problems.

Benoit Leus
Grand Master
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 363
Posted on Monday, 16 July, 2018 - 07:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bruce,
I own a 1979 Shadow II and also live in Belgium.
If in any way helpfull you can always take a look at the wiring in my car and see if anything is missing or wringly connected on yours.

Benoit

Blommaert Bruce
New User
Username: bibi

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, 18 July, 2018 - 08:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi everyone,
thanks for your good advices and help.
Currently enjoying the marvellous weather in Belgium, we're taking a break in the search for the solution(s).
Don’t be scared : the battery is always disconnected. Pictures and labels were made before the engine was pulled out. It should be just the same as before. I suspect that the wiring harness has been damaged as Vladimir stipulates.
Thanks Benoit, if we can’t find the problem, I’d be glad to come and visited you. A fine bottle of wine will be included.
Thanks very much. Nice to know there are so many enthusiasts.
To be continued.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1610
Posted on Thursday, 19 July, 2018 - 05:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Bruce,
A few of us have met Benoit and I can assure you that he is a true gentleman who you will certainly enjoy the company of. The added advantage will also be that you will be able to resolve your electrical problem by comparing cars.
My advice is to take two bottles - not one.

Alan Dibley
Prolific User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 157
Posted on Thursday, 19 July, 2018 - 06:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Two?

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1611
Posted on Friday, 20 July, 2018 - 04:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Now if Alan was there..... then 3................... and if Richard was also with Benoit and Alan............. buy a crate.......

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: