Timber trim - Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Timber trim - « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glen Poolen
Experienced User
Username: wgipps

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, 05 July, 2018 - 09:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi again.
2 photos attached. 1 is of the front dash/windscreen timber trim and the other the rear window timber trim.

The front trim in this photo is veneered. Mine isnt and i havent found anyone other cars that are. Ive heard of them leather wrapped or just painted black.
What year range etc did they come as veneer?
The rear trim - were they always black or were they ever veneered as well.

front

rear

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1963
Posted on Thursday, 05 July, 2018 - 05:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Glen.
The back window is correct.

The front should be a combined veneer with a blacked out section.

I’m currently traveling with work.

I will see if my daughter can get a good pic of mine for you.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1964
Posted on Thursday, 05 July, 2018 - 05:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry about the flash glare Glen, but this pic shows it very well.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Thursday, 05 July, 2018 - 06:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Floor shift? Is that original?

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1909
Posted on Thursday, 05 July, 2018 - 08:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

yes, on early type

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 840
Posted on Thursday, 05 July, 2018 - 09:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick L,

Never saw a RR floor shifter.

Were they electronic or mechanical?

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1965
Posted on Thursday, 05 July, 2018 - 09:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick L is pulling your legs gents.
The pic Glen was showing as reference is the very first Shadow imported into Australia, which is now Chev powered, but beautiful inside.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/features/1965-rolls-royce-silver-shadow-slammed

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1910
Posted on Thursday, 05 July, 2018 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick, That's the one!

Rear window on my 72 and 74 shadow 1 are veneered as is the front.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1966
Posted on Thursday, 05 July, 2018 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes
You are right Patrick L.

My back window triim is timber as well, but a very dark timber like yours.
None I have seen match the front timber colours just as ours don’t.

Robert J. Sprauer
Experienced User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, 06 July, 2018 - 02:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have never seen a rear window trim in veneer. They are usually solid stock so they can be steam bent and flexed into position within the rear window. The front is definitely veneered to compliment the front wood of the cabin.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1911
Posted on Friday, 06 July, 2018 - 03:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well well here is another one on a Shadow 2, all original as it left the factory.

The dash top surround is not veneered on the SS2.

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 841
Posted on Friday, 06 July, 2018 - 04:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick L,

I googled RR shadow floor shifter and found the car Patrick R mentioned.

So I guess the answer is it's mechanical.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1912
Posted on Friday, 06 July, 2018 - 06:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes I agree, if you scroll down on the link provided it covers the many alterations made to this historic vehicle.

Glen Poolen
Experienced User

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, 06 July, 2018 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ok gents - next question.
How do i get the front and rear timber trims out so i can have them worked on?

Steve Emmott
New User
Username: steve_e

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, 12 November, 2018 - 08:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am sure you must be sorted by now Glen but came across this thread while I was browsing through and does not seem to have had a response.

Just to clarify a few points here the two front LH/RH woods aptly named 'hockey sticks' (as they are in two halves)at the windscreen technically are not veneered. They are machined from a piece of solid wood about 2mm thick then bonded onto a piece of plywood about 10mm thick. The plywood gives the whole structure some stability to pevent warping given the area they are in suffers direct sunlight and damp as the climate control air passes over them. They do fade a lot quicker than the rest of the rear window wood which again as mentioned by Robert are solid but of a profile that is suitable for shaping by steam bending.

They are all laquered as the rest of the interior wood.

I suspect the reason for the black painted area is again not the best environment for any laquering and even the top surfaces can often show bad cracking of the laquer. One of the biggest problems here though is windscreen fitters that think they can change a front screen without the very tedious job of removing them. The cord when stringing the screen in place only has to catch the surface of the laquer and the laquer will break off or crack like an eggshell. Also it is impossible to check that the rubber windscreen seal has not fouled/lipped over any of the screen vents without the woods being removed.

Like I said removal of these front pieces is tedious and starts with removing 'A' post lower trim, padded knee bolsters just under facia wood/trim. Removing switch knobs parking light and vent adjust. Parking light is a push pin on a spring and vent knobs a tiny allen key. Remove the lower open small cubby box but main glove box can stay in place. There is a nut and bolt accessed through a hole at the side of the open cubby box compartment and a few machine screws top and side.

Remove all the wood from the instrument area but again the small piece around the top glove box and glove box lid can stay in place. Then remove the bolts from around the top of the top roll where you will see the top roll attached. On the glove box side however there are two nuts and spacers which have to be accessed from inside the glove box at the top front but removed from the rear. Couple of fittings then either side behind the A post lower trim and then the whole top roll pulls rearward. Best to first remove the cigar box when taking out the car as this can easily fall out.

There will then be some trim protection that the top roll underside sits on covering the metal brackets attaching the top roll wood finishers. The side corners are hooked in place so once the screws removed from the middle brackets these woods will just twist out.

All this is why the winscreen fitters just try the short cuts as to correctly do the front screen also requires the removal of the rear view mirror, sun visors and 'A' post screen finishers.

Some amusing info on a couple of the other items mentioned. Rolls Royce put the gearshift and handbrake away from the centre of the car where most cars are today. Back in those days most of these cars were chauffeur driven and it was just not acceptable that the drivers hand may accidently or inappropriately touch 'my lady's' knee while carrying out driving manouvers. (I always wonder though why she was not sat in the back) That's why on the older cars drivers also have to even climb over hand brake levers in the door footwell.

Not so keen on the 'roush' leather effect though on the corners of the show car top roll..

Glen Poolen
Prolific User

Post Number: 120
Posted on Monday, 12 November, 2018 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks very much Steve.
Ive got mine off, along with the dash roll, dash timber and most of the other bits around the front of the car for electrical and other work - so getting them done was a no brainer. They have come up great and within the next couple of weeks will be going back in.

Alan Dibley
Prolific User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 180
Posted on Wednesday, 13 February, 2019 - 09:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've just removed, today, the front "hockey-sticks" to refinish then after fixing a dry soldered joint on a spade connector on the wiper/wash switch. It held on for 48 years before failing immediately before an (optional) MoT test. Lesson: after an optional MoT test there is a black mark against the car because it is recorded centrally. It has to be fixed immediately because I'm sure that the insurance company will wriggle out of their obligation because the screen washer failed the MoT.

Hint: you need some very short or right-angled screw-drivers, both flat and cross-headed.

Alan D.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: