Petrol door label Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Petrol door label « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harrison W
New User
Username: hans3

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, 27 June, 2018 - 03:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Was there a minimum octane or unleaded fuel warning label on the inside of the petrol doors? There's the remnants of something on my 76 Corniche, but I've never seen an original. I was hoping to replicate it using those online custom decal sites that allow you to specify decal dimensions, colors, etc. Thanks much ...

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1980
Posted on Wednesday, 27 June, 2018 - 04:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

On my 74 Silver Shadow there is a small plate with "100 octane fuel" on it.

This has made me realize it is now time to renovate this area on my car - it looks a bit tatty.

tt

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2941
Posted on Wednesday, 27 June, 2018 - 09:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

UK delivered 1973 Corniche DRH14434 had a label with large letters stating 100 octane fuel was mandatory [it was fitted with the 9:1 high compression pre-emission engine].

My memory has failed me regarding whether it was an adhesive label or metal plate.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1955
Posted on Wednesday, 27 June, 2018 - 09:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mine is identical to the image from Geoff

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1982
Posted on Wednesday, 27 June, 2018 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick

I bet your's is a sight better than mine. I didn't realize how rusty it was in there. The good news is no rot - just surface rust - a bit of sandpaper and a rattle can methinks.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1956
Posted on Wednesday, 27 June, 2018 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

LOL Geoff,

Mine looks sort of ok, but I will take a pic with the flash as you have done to really see what is in there.

David Gore

Post Number: 2942
Posted on Wednesday, 27 June, 2018 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Interesting - Harrison refers to what appears to be the remains of a decal whilst the Shadow sedans pictured have the metal plates.

My hazy recollection is suggesting DRH14434 had a decal on the inside of the filler flap but I may be mistaken. It is possible the decal might only have been fitted to Corniches for some reason.

Harry Heuchan
Frequent User
Username: harry_heuchan

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, 27 June, 2018 - 01:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here is a picture of my wife Robyn explaining to the gentleman on the right the types of fuel suitable for a UK delivered 1973 Corniche. (It all depends on the sticker/label/decal). On the left is our esteemed adjudicator.
The silver vehicle behind is perhaps Omar’s next purchase. (After he reduces his present stock holdings).

GG

David Gore

Post Number: 2943
Posted on Wednesday, 27 June, 2018 - 05:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Harry,

DRH14434 had pride of place on the main entry to Bowral Oval [home of the Don Bradman Museum for cricket tragics] for an International RROC Rally which had started in NZ and ultimately ended in the UK. The white post at the rear of the car was locked down by the rear wheel of the car and displayed the RROC[NSW] Club Banner. The Goodwood Phantom had to take 2nd place!!

Note, despite the rain, the top is down in true drophead [convertible] tradition .

Memories, precious memories for me........

P.S. For those interested in the mirror-finish polish, I always used Meguiars Yellow Wax which my friend in the USA acquired for me.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: