Saggy rear end Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Saggy rear end « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

leonard stampton
New User
Username: 1000leonard

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, 10 June, 2018 - 05:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As here in Australia we are entering our "seldom used or time off driving season!" I am considering lifting the rear end of SRH 31710.
I have read many, but not all of the previous posts regarding this subject on this excellent site.
But two questions remain at this time for me to pose. Why is it that the rear end sags with old age but not the front where all the weight is concentrated ? And secondly does anyone know of an Australian supplier of Grayston coil spring assisters? Regards from this end..

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1891
Posted on Sunday, 10 June, 2018 - 07:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rear spring rate low on rear springs for that smooooooooth ride, self levelling for variation of load ie fuel and passenger load.
Left standing without use the rear end sags with the self levelling inoperative.

Chris Browne
Prolific User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 295
Posted on Sunday, 10 June, 2018 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Leonard,
There are very many Shadows out there which are almost dragging their rear ends on the floor, especially when carrying rear passengers. In nearly every case, this is the result of aged springs and lack of maintenance. A healthy Shadow when standing with the engine off should stand at the correct ride height on its springs alone. Many cars have the ride height “corrected” by jacking up the rear ride height by adjusting the height control valves to lift the car to the correct height on the rear rams. This is not good practice as it puts strain the hydraulics system as it is active all the time. An easy check to tell whether your rear ride is correct is to park the car on level ground, engine off. If you look at the chrome trim strip on the sills, an extension to the line of the trim should pass through the centre of each rear hub cap.
Hope this helps.
Kind regards,
Chris

Larry Kavanagh
Prolific User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 178
Posted on Monday, 11 June, 2018 - 06:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I bought 2 Grayston coil spring assisters for my Silver Shadow 11 online through Amazon.

leonard stampton
New User

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, 11 June, 2018 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many thanks guys for your help! the self levelling system for me is almost a Pandora's box...Larry, did you use Amazon US or Amazon AUS? and did the spring assisters fix your series 2 problem?
Patrick and Chris earlier posts have answered a couple of thoughts I had re my saggy rear end. Regards

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 975
Posted on Monday, 11 June, 2018 - 08:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Leonard there is a thread headed changing my rear springs, Date 02 Oct 2014, should tell you all you need to know.

Richard.

Larry Kavanagh
Prolific User

Post Number: 181
Posted on Tuesday, 12 June, 2018 - 09:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Leonard, I bought the spring assisters approx. 3 years ago and they appear to have raised the rear enough for my satisfaction. I haven't been doing a whole lot of mileage recently but haven't encountered any problems with the spring assisters in 5000 miles or thereabouts. I'm fairly sure from memory that I bought them on Amazon US but I'm not certain and haven't saved the invoice. Prior to fitting the spring assisters I was using the height control valves to keep the rear end up but was able to take the pressure off the HCVs after fitting them. They're a tight squeeze between the coils and I soaked them in hot water to soften them used dishwashing soap to help slide them into place. I don't notice any difference in the ride but the car sits up better in the rear. I think they're a cheap temporary solution but in the long run new springs may be required.

Larry Kavanagh
Prolific User

Post Number: 182
Posted on Tuesday, 12 June, 2018 - 09:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Leonard, Following a trawl of old emails I've found the invoice. I bought from Amazon.co.uk. The items were 2xGreyston GE14 26 - 38mm Spring Assister.

leonard stampton
New User

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, 12 June, 2018 - 05:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thankyou Richard, I found the interesting thread that you mentioned from October 2014. Someone could (should?) write a book about Silver Shadow saggy rear ends!

Larry, I found Grayston spring assisters on the Amazon UK website, thankyou, but none on the Australian one. I have not managed to extract the price for postage from Amazon yet..

I also need to discover the coil gaps of the unloaded springs to order the correct part, I hope to do this on Friday.

As a footnote, Amazon US has decided to bar Australian customers from July 2018. This is because our government plans to add GST tax to all purchases from them after that date.....

Regards

Robert J. Sprauer
Experienced User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, 12 June, 2018 - 09:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Although spring assisters will alleviate a sagging rear the tradeoff is a compromised ride and stress on the springs where the assisters are placed.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1892
Posted on Wednesday, 13 June, 2018 - 03:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

IMO if it does not sag a little after a few days when the sphere pressure is exhausted within the ram then the spring rate will be much.
The smoooooooooth ride will be lost.
Many faults arrive through the self levelling not being used through its full travel and reserve loading.
I have the rubber type spring assisters.
Positioning is important.
Should be a pix on the correct position when I carried out the mod.
I have the use of the tow bar with a wooden block to take the settled body weight if not used for a week or two with the extra 90 litre LPG tank.

Now what did I start many years ago less springing and more dampening on some bucking bronco type vehicles with cart springs.

Philip Sproston
Experienced User
Username: phil2025

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, 16 June, 2018 - 06:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Leonard New springs from bob chapman automotive Bayswater vic will fix the car.

leonard stampton
Experienced User

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, 18 June, 2018 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thankyou Philip for the info,. I have been to Chapman automotive previously for other RR parts,not for springs yet.
As I like tinkering with the beast as my wife puts it I want to try the spring sssister route first. The more involved fitting new rear springs solution possibly averted all together! Regards

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: