Duplicate keys Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Duplicate keys « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glen Poolen
Experienced User
Username: wgipps

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, 06 June, 2018 - 02:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I need to get a duplicate/spare set of keys cut. Im not fussed on originality or anything - i just want a spare key to the car.

Can i simply go to a locksmith locally and get a key cut from their stock? Or is there a specific key?

Are the Yale keys on ebay suitable?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rolls-Royce-Bentley-Keyblanks-x-2-Key-Blank-Free-Post-In-Australia-RR10R/142444291273?hash=item212a5764c9:g:TA8AAOSwq7JUERk-

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rolls-Royce-Keyblanks-x-2-RR2P-Key-Blank-RR2P/141738204656?epid=1174392851&hash=item2100415df0:g:uhcAAOSwd0BVwweh

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 802
Posted on Wednesday, 06 June, 2018 - 03:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Glen... If you just want a key that works (obviously...what good is one that doesn't work!) blanks by Ilco and Taylor are commonly available here in USA at any well stocked locksmith for a few dollars each. Supplies in Australia may vary, but your first step is go and find out. Those prices on EBay are way too high even if they are correct and without a close hands on inspection, who knows. Go to a locksmith FIRST! Just saying.

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 512
Posted on Wednesday, 06 June, 2018 - 04:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree with Christian. They are available at locksmiths - they may need to order in if they don't have them in stock. US and UK blanks do not work in Australia - our roads authority jobsworths at the time (mid '70') insisted on fiddling with the valet/starter/door lock arrangement that RR had in place so that the valet key couldn't start the car or some such nonsense.

On the one occasion I ordered by VIN number from the UK the delivered keys were wrong: Crewe record keeping seems to have gone awry for Oz cars.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2911
Posted on Wednesday, 06 June, 2018 - 05:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Glen - be aware the Shadows came with 2 individual keys cut from blanks with different size grooves along the side to give a fully functional "drivers" key and a "valet" key for car parking attendants that would open the driver's door and start the car but would not open the glove box or boot/trunk for secure storage of personal items.

Glen Poolen
Experienced User
Username: wgipps

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, 06 June, 2018 - 08:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

ok - so i think i should get a correct blank to be cut so that i have access to all locks. Now - how do i identify what blank i need? From what i can tell they are numbered to come from a batch, but in Australia they messed around with them. How do i tell what i need?

Jeff Cheng
Prolific User
Username: makeshift

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, 06 June, 2018 - 09:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I ordered 2 extra key blanks, which you are welcome to if you want.
They are coded 'YA 19D' and slip into the locks and ignition for my SRH23650.
If you would like them, PM me your address and I will mail them to you, no charge.

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 513
Posted on Wednesday, 06 June, 2018 - 09:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My two keys (SRH20280 1974) are SILCA RR5 for the door and SILCA RR2R for the ignition.

Original YALE blanks are as rare as hens teeth - especially in Australia.

Jim Walters
Prolific User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 164
Posted on Thursday, 07 June, 2018 - 03:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here are the key types used:

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 804
Posted on Thursday, 07 June, 2018 - 08:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We are assuming that you already have at least one key that actually works? If so, you are over analyzing this. Simply go to the locksmith, show them the key, and they choose or order the proper blank, whether Ilco, Taylor, or Silcar which seems to be the one available in AU.

Mark Herbstreit
Prolific User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 180
Posted on Thursday, 07 June, 2018 - 08:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Glen, I have just been though this and live not far from you. I used Key-King. The company in your first link. They were prompt and reliable. Make sure you get the correct blank. The Shadow keys are shorter than Spirits and some blanks have the code RR5 for Shadows and RR7R for Spirits. Don't get the mister- minute guy at the supermarket to cut it. Go to a proper lock smith and try the key in the car before paying the bill.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2583
Posted on Thursday, 07 June, 2018 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not that Mr. Walters has not provided the necessary information, but to confirm it:

Rolls-Royce and Bentley Keys Through the 1991 Model Year

If you have a functioning key any locksmith with the correct key blanks can cut you a new owner's and valet keys in a matter of minutes. The difference is in the key blank itself. The key cut on both is precisely the same.

Brian

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: