Damn Ram Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Damn Ram « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Herbstreit
Prolific User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 179
Posted on Tuesday, 05 June, 2018 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I backed the Shadow II out a few weeks ago and noticed a slight drip near the RHS rear wheel. I quick inspection confirmed a leak from the height control Ram. Kits were ordered and arrived within the week. The LHS was rebuilt as a precaution. It was dismantled rebuilt and reassembled in about two hours. The leaking Right hand side was seized solid due to the nature of hydroscopic RR363. It may have had a slight weep for some time but not noticeable and I have never had to top up reservoirs. No amount of penetrating oil, C spanners, prying bars, air chisels, chain wrenches, heat, hammers, bigger hammers would budge it. I tried a mixture of acetone/transmission fluid which the internet tells me is even better than penetrene. As a last resort the piston was cut with a sabre saw so the mount could be dropped out the bottom with the spring. I had ordered a new piston as even if the piston came loose I could see it was going to be butchered. With the mount out on the bench the remains of the piston would not let go even with the oxy torch. Only after a date with the angle grinder did it finally relent.

The butchering begins. Not much room to move.

ram1

Piston cut through with sabre saw as a last resort.

ram2

Mount can now be dropped out the bottom with the spring.

ram3

Sway bar needed to be disconnected. The last time I had the springs out I had both sides raised and didn't need to disconnect sway bar.

ram4

Total destruction of the old piston.

ram5

New ram kit

ram6
Ram reassembled and mount cleaned up on the left. Wreckage on the right.

ram7

So for the same job that's two hours on one side and several weeks of pain and suffering on the other. I feel slightly cheated as this is a car that has never seen salt roads is rarely driven in the rain and lives in a dry garage.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1888
Posted on Tuesday, 05 June, 2018 - 03:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark, I had two replacement seals leak in a short period on the N/S/R this was before I fitted the LPG tank.
I was not wanting to do the job after the LPG tank was fitted so looked into an industrial type heavy duty seal to cope with the extra wieght.
The poly seal that I obtained is still going strong years later.
Just hope that the long time period if it needs a change will not result in the horrid seizure that you have had.
Cripes and I tow as well!

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1542
Posted on Tuesday, 05 June, 2018 - 05:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I feel for you Mark.
What a pig of a job this turned out to be.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2908
Posted on Tuesday, 05 June, 2018 - 09:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,

She [the car] was just asserting her control over you .

Perhaps you have been favouring cars other than her and she decided "enough is enough" to get your attention.

From a technical perspective, when did you last fully bleed the hydraulic system including the rams? RR363, like DOT3/DOT4 brake fluid, is hygroscopic and will absorb moisture from the air even in a "dry" garage regardless of whether the car is stationary or continually on the move. My preferred maintenance schedule would be an annual bleed of 20% of the fluid in the system from all bleed points with a full bleed/flush/refill with new fluid every 4 years regardless of what distance the car has travelled since the last full fluid bleed/replacement.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 923
Posted on Tuesday, 05 June, 2018 - 09:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark, a truly ghastly tale with horrific photos.

I have a tool Kelly made to loosen the mongrel nut but I doubt it would have worked in your case.

If I have to do mine it will be going back together with lots of anti seize on the tread.

And David is right, the car was just being a mongrel bitch to you. How I hate brake fluid of any kind -its nasty ruthless stuff especially when it flows down your arm into your armpit while bleeding the brakes.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2582
Posted on Tuesday, 05 June, 2018 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Speaking of our Mr. Opfar, you might want to contact him with regard to a replacement ram.

Even if he can't make it, he might be interested in doing a postmortem exam on "the recalcitrant one."

Brian

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: