Has anybody lowered a SS1? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Has anybody lowered a SS1? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glen Poolen
Experienced User
Username: wgipps

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, 31 May, 2018 - 01:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Im thinking of dropping mine down a few inces. Thoughts/comments/concerns?
Thanks

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 921
Posted on Thursday, 31 May, 2018 - 02:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well you will need to remove all four springs and then have them reset.Then you need to get the front wheel aligned.

Also, depending on how low you are going the front tyres may hit the top of the wheel arch.

Should me fine if you are only driving in the city but if you live on a dirt road be prepared for a hole in the engine sump or transmission sump.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2906
Posted on Thursday, 31 May, 2018 - 03:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Glen,

Personally, I do not think this is a good idea as the front and rear suspension geometry are most likely to be adversely affected especially the rear suspension rear drive shaft alignment.

From memory, the rear drive shafts run horizontal to the ground when the car is moving and the angle of the shaft changes momentarily when driving on rough roads or when hard braking/acceleration occurs when the rear lifts or squats accordingly. I have concerns about the life of the Detroit trunnions permanently running at an angle.

Vladimir's caution about wheel arch clearance is very relevant as the early Shadow 1 vehicles were designed for narrow cross ply tyres predominantly used in the USA which was the major market the Shadow was designed for - when radial ply tyres became more common, the front wheel arches were enlarged to accommodate wider tyres. I cannot access the relevant serial number for this variation as I am away from home right now and hopefully one of our Shadow owners can provide this information for you.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 797
Posted on Thursday, 31 May, 2018 - 04:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Do you really want to emulate the Latino community "low riders"? That's what it will look like. Gawdawful in my opinion. Just saying. Don't shoot. Maybe you could get the effect with use of low profile tires if any exist for that rim size? Is that what you had in mind?

Glen Poolen
Experienced User

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, 31 May, 2018 - 04:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well for a start the car i am going by isnt that low to be considered a low rider. Im thinking of copying this one. I think not too many people will identify it. rr

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 800
Posted on Thursday, 31 May, 2018 - 07:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'll take a stab at identifying it....and THAT is an attractive car. Early chrome bumper era. Love the blue. I think it's a Rolls-Royce. At least looks like one....Beautiful!

Glen Poolen
Experienced User

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, 31 May, 2018 - 07:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

lol - i meant not too many people would identify that it was lowered.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1919
Posted on Thursday, 31 May, 2018 - 07:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Low enough for you?

Glen Poolen
Experienced User

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, 31 May, 2018 - 07:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

How do you steer that? ive seen that before and if i remember correctly - thats only a RR body - the rest is hotted up american metal.

Glen Poolen
Experienced User

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, 31 May, 2018 - 07:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

if its your cup of tea

rr

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1921
Posted on Thursday, 31 May, 2018 - 08:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Glen,
This is actually the very first Silver Shadow imported into Australia when they were first released. SRH1011
This is the same car at its release in Melbourne.

The owner has kept the original interior in pristine condition.

Glen Poolen
Experienced User

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, 31 May, 2018 - 08:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

beautiful interior. love the picnic table seats - are they particular seats or can table inserts be fitted to normal seats?

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1922
Posted on Thursday, 31 May, 2018 - 09:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Early Shadows had them as standard.

I have seen them retro fitted to later models.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: