Advice please - electrical stuff Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Advice please - electrical stuff « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glen Poolen
Experienced User
Username: wgipps

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, 30 May, 2018 - 04:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi again.

Couple of issues im having looked at - i would appreciate some advice for those in the know. Since they are unavailable, i will ask you! :-)

1974 SS1 SRH17903

Spirit of Ecstacy/Mascot alarm. Microswitch fitted underneath the lady to activate the horn when she is tampered with. Been quoted $800 - im told RR used to provide a kit for this? Is that price reasonable?

Upgrade headlights. Currently running 50/65 - upgrading to 80/100. Been quoted another $800 but it wont be the domed headlight glass - it will be flat faced. Is there a domed headlight that will do the same or similar upgrade so it looks somewhat original?

Fitting an water temp gauge. Im looking at getting an aftermarket Smiths 'Cobra' style gauge with sender. No withstanding the temp gauge threads i was part of recently about where to fit it inside the car, what sender size/thread do i need? Is there a fitting location for such sender units? Ive been quoted $200 for an original RR temp gauge - Would that temp gauge simply attach to existing fittings on the engine? My preference would be to leave the standard dash 'coolant' alarm in place - is that possible with an after market gauge?

What about a discretly fitted oil pressure gauge. I like the idea of having one. Is there a location that will take aftermarket Smiths 'Cobra' style gauge with sender? what size/thread sender unit?

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 805
Posted on Friday, 01 June, 2018 - 01:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Glen,

Do you have a picture of the switch for the mascot alarm? RR used a bunch of industry standard microswitches for everything on the Shadow so there's a chance it is a $3 switch like the ones used for the windows, brake, seat controls, etc.
If you have a photo i can tell you straight away.

Glen Poolen
Experienced User

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, 01 June, 2018 - 06:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Ross - i dont have a picture. I have no idea what they look like. Ive seen new microswitches at Jaycar - they cost a couple of dollars. Introcar have a schematic for a Spur mascot alarm but no unit. Flyingspares - no luck. currently trying glabal RR wreckers. Can even seem to find a pic let alone a unit.

Chris Browne
Prolific User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 293
Posted on Sunday, 03 June, 2018 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Glen,

I have attached photos of the mascot alarm switch both attached to the car and when disassembled. Hope this is what you are looking for.

Kind regards,

Chris

Martin Taylor
Prolific User
Username: martin_taylor

Post Number: 131
Posted on Sunday, 03 June, 2018 - 06:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I used an bonnet alarm switch from a land rover Freelander, the switch has a rubber gaitor and is waterproof, the factory switch is not and is often corroded. Any microswitch can then be connected to either the horn or an alarm circuit

Glen Poolen
Experienced User

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, 03 June, 2018 - 06:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ive bought these - https://www.jaycar.com.au/adjustable-metal-tamper-pin-style-switch-pack-of-2/p/LE8776
Ill see how they go.
PS - Martin - i am trying to contact you re your steering wheel.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 972
Posted on Sunday, 03 June, 2018 - 09:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chris I wish I was as methodical as you are.

Richard.

Jim Walters
Prolific User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 161
Posted on Monday, 04 June, 2018 - 05:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here is a cruder non factory alarm switch on one of the Shadows in the shop yesterday. It uses a common aftermarket brake light switch.

You will need a spring loaded mascot with the lump in the base to activate the switch.

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

Chris Browne
Prolific User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 294
Posted on Monday, 04 June, 2018 - 07:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Richard,

I have restored a Shadow 2 and a Cloud 1 now and have always taken copious photographs of the projects. Mainly for my own benefit as so many assemblies are complex and a set of digital photos makes reassembly straightforward (usually!). I have come unstuck once or twice when I haven’t taken a photo from quite the right angle and the very thing I need to see has been masked by something else. I am also pleased to be able to help fellow enthusiasts when I can as in this instance. I have learned a great deal from this forum over the years so it is gratifying to give something back.

Kind regards,

Chris

Glen Poolen
Experienced User

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, 04 June, 2018 - 07:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Its also been suggested that you can use a Land Rover bonnet burglar alarm like this one -
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LAND-ROVER-FREELANDER-1-BONNET-BURGLAR-ALARM-SWITCH/332340342529?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144
instead of the Jaycar one as it is sealed from the elements. My biggest concern with this is what may be the amount of travel required for the alarm to activate.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: