RR yale key blanks auction, does anyo... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » RR yale key blanks auction, does anyone recognise them? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 510
Posted on Tuesday, 29 May, 2018 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There is an auction on ebay for a bulk lot of RR key blanks from YALE. I'm putting this here in case anyone is able to recognise what they are and if they might be for one or iterations of our vehicles.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Complete-Set-Of-Yale-Depth-and-Space-Keys-For-Rolls-Royce-Bentley-Locks/292582794401?hash=item441f4b24a1:g:HdYAAOSwVttbDGJx

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 792
Posted on Tuesday, 29 May, 2018 - 01:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Answer is somewhere between "unlikely" and "not a chance". Given that they are all different, the best case is that one or two might be correct. When it comes to key blanks, "almost" translates to "does not work". Both Ilco and Taylor make proper blanks readily available from any experienced locksmith for a few dollars each. Without hands on observation of both sides, it is difficult to say but the #5 group in lower left corner "resemble" the blanks for both my Silver Wraith and Phantom II, both of which just happened to be on my desk at the moment, but of that group only one has the major notch in the proper position. So bottom line is "why bother"?

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 511
Posted on Tuesday, 29 May, 2018 - 02:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Christian,
There are people who collect the blanks. I know one of our regulars in the UK picks up job lots of them - but then he deals with a lot of different cars. Just thought I'd put it out there in case someone was interested.

Jim Walters
Prolific User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 160
Posted on Tuesday, 29 May, 2018 - 03:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

They are not blanks. They are the code keys so a locksmith can cut a blank to fit a lock from the factory code numbers. As I have a key cutting machine and often cut spares for customers I will be bidding on these. Thanks for the tip Jeff.

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

Chris Gillings
Prolific User
Username: chrisg

Post Number: 130
Posted on Tuesday, 29 May, 2018 - 04:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Aha! I've often wondered how code cutting was done before computerisation. This set makes it obvious to me.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 793
Posted on Tuesday, 29 May, 2018 - 04:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jim...
Yes. Makes sense. Not the blanks per se, but the code cutting samples. I recently had keys cut for the PII and the locksmith used the code stamped on the original and also duplicated another directly. For the code version (five tumblers...code was three letters and two numbers, like ABC12) he simply looked up the code which presumably told him which blank, entered the code into the computer and presto the machine cut the proper notches. Both keys, whether duplicated or cut by code worked flawlessly.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1540
Posted on Wednesday, 30 May, 2018 - 03:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jim you have taught us all something very valuable. Thanks for that.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: