I'm in Love...Sigh Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » I'm in Love...Sigh « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael Carr
Experienced User
Username: carsie

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, 25 May, 2018 - 05:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Haven't been able to use the Shadow for close to a year now due to other commitments. Popped across on Sunday to take her out of storage and ruminate on what I need to do (rear wheel arch, front lower wing, leather feed, brakes..brakes..brakes, get rid of gold mascot, new tyres without whitewalls, respray? ) oh..you get the drift...still absolutely love her though- can't believe I actually own her :-)

In Love

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 787
Posted on Friday, 25 May, 2018 - 06:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Michael,

Great photo. Were it mine, I'd do the brakes and take her for a spin, and truthfully, I sort of like the Gold mascot with that color scheme, though generally I prefer Silver.

Cheers,

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2581
Posted on Friday, 25 May, 2018 - 06:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Depending on how long it's been since the brakes have been given a good flush and bleed that's what I'd do, too, after doing the "brake pedal test" to get some sense of the state of the accumulators.

I certainly wouldn't rush out to remove whitewall tires from any Shadow series car, since that's what they came with and the thin whitewalls serve as a visual break that makes the car look lighter on its "feet."

I prefer the regular chrome mascot but that gold one does look good with that color (Silver Sand, I think).

Brian

h_kelly
Prolific User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 251
Posted on Friday, 25 May, 2018 - 08:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hey, Michael I own a similar coloured shadow to you, I only put a new set of avon white walls on it recently, previous to that they were plain black, the white wall definitely gives the car more definition. Cleaning them another is story

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User
Username: tasbent

Post Number: 194
Posted on Friday, 25 May, 2018 - 08:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Definitely a model that looks right with thin whitewalls....50's models have wide whitewalls, 60's models have thin walls....it's as simple as that....but the gold mascot is a bit 'chintzy'
Best way to keep whitewalls clean is to use a slurry
of Ajax powder or similar, rub onto the whitewall
and wash off, this helps prevent them from yellowing.
Only thing worse than no whitewalls are dirty ones

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1908
Posted on Friday, 25 May, 2018 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Fantastic looking car Mike.

I too don’t mind the gold mascot with the colour scheme.

Get her on the road mate.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1951
Posted on Friday, 25 May, 2018 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here's the comparison I did a while ago. I chose the white walls.

cc

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1911
Posted on Saturday, 26 May, 2018 - 07:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The whitewalls really made my car pop Mike.
But of course it is up to the individuals taste.

Michael Carr
Experienced User

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, 26 May, 2018 - 09:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the kind words guys. There's certainly no lack of motivation to get behind the wheel again it's just that "life is what happens whilst you're busy planning it" lol!

Re. Whitewalls and mascot, I think it's a very fine line between "class and ass" sometimes less really is more- picture attached in point.

My late father had a black MK10 Jag and for years we debated if we should put a single gold coachline on it; in the end we decided not to.

My Shadow is rather obviously finished in gold which does somewhat make a statement even at a subconscious level.

The extras (I know some are standard) such as twin coachlines, coachlines on the hubcaps, a vinyl roof, piped leather, piped carpets, the gold mascot and then the whitewalls- in all, I think it's trying too much.

In my opinion,it's like wearing gold cufflinks and a monagrammed shirt and a rolex and a gold chain and a wrist chain and a pinky ring and tassles on my shoes (the Paul Raymond look lol!)

Geoff and Patrick, your Shadows looks stunning with the whitewalls. Ross, you're dead right- sort the brakes and take it for a spin.

Have a great weekend all.

Best

MikeA Lady

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1534
Posted on Sunday, 27 May, 2018 - 03:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hey Mike - you described me as though you were standing in front of me.... how did you even know about the gold chain and the wrist chain? I normally keep those well hidden....
LOL

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 790
Posted on Sunday, 27 May, 2018 - 04:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Michael....
....but those are all the various things that make a Rolls-Royce special and provoke absolute strangers to declare "That is a beautiful car!" to which you can quite factually reply "Yes, it is and I am quite pleased with it." You do not need to feel either quilt or offer apologies for driving a 40+ year old status symbol! If a Shadow is cause for any embarrassment, think how it would be with a Cloud or earlier! This is what I currently "have to put up with" when I go out for my daily "Rolls-Royce fix" so start driving yours and keep smiling knowing that you are doing everyone else a favor by putting smiles on their faces as well!

'53 HLM Silver Wraith Saloon Style 7249

Alan Dibley
Prolific User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 145
Posted on Sunday, 27 May, 2018 - 06:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

About 10+ years ago I rescued a basket-case Silver Spirit and restored it well enough to be a reliable everyday driver, so I had a RR and a Bentley T.
I was too busy avoiding idiot drivers to notice this, but my wife saw that whwhen we were in the Spirit, many passers-by would nudge their companion and, with a sour face, say "Look, there's a ******* Rolls Royce".
But when we were in the T the response was something like "Ooh, look there's a Bentley", with a happy smile.
The Spirit was sold after a while - I didn't need both to keep ME smiling.

Anyone else noticed this?

Alan D.

Michael Carr
Experienced User

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, 29 May, 2018 - 05:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi again:-)

Very funny Omar!

Several years I was working in Saudi and my host treated me like a King. The bedouin tents inside the hotel with marzipan dates, the private Lear Jet with gold fittings, the unsurpassed hospitality as we flew from Jeddah to Riyadh, never mind the expensive aftershave and discreet gold watches- you guys certainly have style in the buckets and certainly know how to dress, of that there is no doubt.

Alan has accurately summed it up- with no desire to fan the British yob culture I will resist but rather balance it with saying that a couple of years ago I parked outside a cafe in Cambridge. The number of passers by that fawned in front of the Rolls and had their picture taken was a discrete pleasure that you comment on too Christian.

I'm not in the little phased or recticent in coming forward in my pride of ownership, albeit I am respectful of other's position and perhaps their less fortuitous station in life, my comments were about presentation and the reflection of that within my own culture. I would really..really..really.. like that FHC that I lusted after across in the States.

But then again it did miss the eye-lash wash wipes that set it apart.

I do keep reflecting on this Dutch beauty so perhaps the whitewalls do stay.

You do all realise that I'm taking the mick out of myself as well with my window shopping, don't you ? lol!

Alan, have you been following the guy in Yorkshire who is rebuilding a Spirit?

http://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/130482/1983-rolls-royce-silver-spirit?page=1

Michael Carr
Experienced User

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, 29 May, 2018 - 05:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dutch Beauty

Harry Heuchan
Experienced User
Username: harry_heuchan

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, 29 May, 2018 - 06:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The R-R Shadow can be a joyous vehicle to drive. Last week I delivered a lunch box which my wife had hurriedly prepared for our 45 year old son, to his very busy work place. (Any excuse for me to drive the Shadow). On arrival at his work place a lady was exiting there and spied me in the Shadow about to turn into the driveway.
Excitingly she proclaimed to the others in the workplace “Look, look what is turning into the driveway”.
Once on the drive, she continued to tell me about the only time she had ever been in a R-R was on her wedding day and how lovely and quiet and comfortable the car was.
Then I delivered my son’s lunch box to him. The lady couldn’t believe her eyes. I can still hear her saying;-“Getting one’s lunch delivered in a Rolls-Royce-unbelievable”.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1913
Posted on Tuesday, 29 May, 2018 - 08:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Magnificent car Christian.

I always enjoy seeing your images.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1914
Posted on Tuesday, 29 May, 2018 - 09:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great story Harry,

Can you please post a pic of your car?

I don't think we have seen it?

Mike,
Another fantastic shot, of a truly beautiful Shadow. Well done.

Alan Dibley
Prolific User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 147
Posted on Tuesday, 29 May, 2018 - 05:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Michael, that is a heck of a project you have highlighted. He bought a car which really was only fit for crushing, then replaced, repaired or re-engineered EVERY BIT OF IT!! But it's his decision, and he is clearly a master craftsman, though it seems he is frightened by the hydraulic system like 90% of the rest of the old car world.

I love the sub-title "5/16ths BSF".

My Spirit project wasn't anything like as severe as that!

As a PS to my earlier post, I know several folk who will not take their RRs into Bristol in the evenings for fear of keying or bottles through the screen. I've never had any qualms about the T.

Alan D.

felipe heuser
Experienced User
Username: felipe

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, 31 May, 2018 - 03:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In my neck of the woods tyre retailers never heard of white bands and when they inquire, double the price...suppose internet is an option but again dear with shipping...hence my decision back to black wall as I believe most early SC & SS left Crewe without.
My first changeover was the SS MPW DHC and with bright stainless hubs, painted trim ring and coach line is quite effective.

The only details I do miss are the body coach lines and no one available who knows this skill…

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2905
Posted on Thursday, 31 May, 2018 - 09:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Felipe,

Re your coach line problem - salvation may be at hand if you can find a local horse-drawn coach/wagon restorer or land transport museum. They would most likely have details of painters capable of recreating the coach lines on vehicles under restoration. Another less-likely source would be a railway train museum as steam locomotives and carriages from the Victorian/Edwardian eras often carried elaborate paint schemes but these are larger than what you would find on a motor vehicle [Ooops - early motor car restorers would also be a possible sources of information].

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 804
Posted on Friday, 01 June, 2018 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Beautiful Cars.
My advice: don't wait for a perfect Car to enjoy Her. DO make sure your Car is safe: this protects you and your loved ones, other people, and the Car. Do make improvements as you are able. Do not neglect your Car to the point it becomes too far gone to rescue, if possible. Do get professional help with particular faults which you cannot rectify, or which you are not comfortable you have the skills or time to rectify. Do not wait until you can "do it all at once" as you might never get there. Do shop around and look for alternative sources of parts and repairs, and you will be surprised at the different costs for quality parts and repairs you will find. Do make quality repairs, not bodges or patchups. Remember the Japanese philosophy of continuous improvement. Every improvement, even the small ones, soon add up and encourage you to continue on.
Now, ENJOY

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 804
Posted on Friday, 01 June, 2018 - 08:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy,
True,true,true,true,true true, *false

*W Edwards Demming invented continuous improvement and brought that and the 14 points to Japan from the USA.

Harry Heuchan
Experienced User

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, 02 June, 2018 - 07:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For you Patrick Ryan

For you Patrick Ryan

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1541
Posted on Saturday, 02 June, 2018 - 03:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

unusual hub caps.
Nicely done. which car are they from?

Harry Heuchan
Experienced User

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, 02 June, 2018 - 03:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rear Wheel
Good Spotting Omar!
The hub caps are adapted from the original and are my own invention.
The spinners are from the Goodwood vehicles.
The central adapter was made by the Utah guru, the REAL master; - Kelly Opfar.
They took about a year to get perfect with many, many hurdles along the way.
Perhaps the biggest issue I had was the three countersunk bolts I have fitted for security.
IMO the look fantastic! THANK YOU KELLY OPFAR.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 801
Posted on Saturday, 02 June, 2018 - 04:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Harry...
I also like what appears to be an antenna stalk from the center above the front windscreen. Again, your adaptation?

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1924
Posted on Saturday, 02 June, 2018 - 04:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Harry.

That is a magnificent looking Shadow.

You ought to be proud mate.

Yes
Kelly is a true genius.

The hub caps are fantastic.

Harry Heuchan
Experienced User

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, 02 June, 2018 - 08:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

outback
Thank you for your kind words Patrick
Yes Christian it is a Cell Phone antenna.
Since the year 2000 I have travelled nearly 100,000 Kms in the SSII, mainly in outback Australia where FTP’s are a concern, to put it mildly. Often there is no Cell Phone coverage, so the antenna was used to improve reception. (Presently not in use- I should remove it). Indecently, a 27 MHz CB radio can be a very useful item when issues occur in “the middle-of- nowhere.”

Harry Heuchan
Experienced User

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, 02 June, 2018 - 08:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Spare Wheel
In the “olden” days when travelling across Australia one always took a spare top & bottom radiator hose, heater hoses and a full set of belts. (And RR363) This is because of Murphy’s Law. Even though all these items are well and truly checked before driving long distances the items can be very hard to obtain in the Australian outback. I have always kept a set underneath in the upside down spare wheel, however, recently I have made a simple circular device so the spare wheel can be the correct way up allowing the tyre pressure to be checked through the rubber stopper in the boot (trunk). Below you will see some pictures of my carrier for the spare belts and hoses. Thankfully I have never had to use them but they are safely stored away above the spare wheel if the need be.

Harry Heuchan
Experienced User

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, 02 June, 2018 - 08:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Spare hoses

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: