Window motor removal Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Window motor removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

wood
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 209.202.89.46
Posted on Monday, 20 June, 2005 - 08:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm stumped. I can't figure out how to get the power window motor out of my door. Is there something I am missing. Do the chain rails come off easily? Perhaps there is an easy repair for a window that seems to have a broken clutch in the motor and the window does not go up or down without help.

(Message approved by david_gore)

John Kilkenny
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 60.230.150.160
Posted on Tuesday, 21 June, 2005 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,
I tried to send a diagram as part of a post to this thread (335 x 400 pixels, 43 Kb) I got an error msgs saying that the attachment is greater than -1 Kbs, which it is of course.
Regards,
John

Hi John, unfortunately you have to be a registered user to be able to upload pictures/attachments to the forum hence the failure message. Why don't you register and this also saves me having to approve your posts.

(Message edited by david_gore on June 23, 2005)

Dick Wood
New User
Username: woody

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, 23 June, 2005 - 02:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not much response to my query. What I have learned so far. I am in the enviable position of having a 78 SS2 as a parts car for my 79 SS2. The window motors are different and not interchangable. However the whole mechanism is interchangeable. If you remove the motor which neccessitates removing the motor mount you will be able to tilt the mechanism forward to get it out. Not easily but it will come out. The small cylinder on the side is a brake mechanism, Just a solenoid that deactivates when the lift motor turns. There seems to be a non repairable cluch in the worm gear shaft. I drilled a hole throught he sprocket and tapped a screw into it. It works now but I will have to be carefull not to run it up to hard or down to hard.
Thanks John for trying to post a diagram.

Kilkenny
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 60.230.150.160
Posted on Friday, 24 June, 2005 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dick,
Yes, it takes a bit of manoeuvering to get the motor assembly out. I was going to post an exploded diagram of the mechanism. There is no clutch involved, the plastic driven gear is either pressed or pinned to the sprocket shaft.
I have taken David's advice regarding registering.
Regards,
John

Dick Wood
New User
Username: woody

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, 26 June, 2005 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It seems that there should be a clutch mechanism in there some where to stop the motor when it reaches a certain strain level. I was watching the internal door metal deform as I activated the motor to the full up position. I would still aappreciate seeing the diagram if it is different from the basic door drawing in the repair manual.

John Kilkenny
New User
Username: john_kilkenny

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, 26 June, 2005 - 01:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dick,
No, it was the diagram from the manual.
The motor has overload protection. If you keep the switch pressed after the stop position, around 30 seconds later you will hear a click and the motor will not operate until it cools down.
Regards,
John