The supplied Silver Shadow wheel chan... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » The supplied Silver Shadow wheel change jack. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1944
Posted on Thursday, 17 May, 2018 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Has anyone ever used the Silver Shadow's car jack to change wheels?

I've never used this jack and it occurs to me I should test it in case I ever have to change a flat tire roadside.

My concerns are the rubber bung that needs to be pulled from the sill may be hard and brittle by now and cause paint damage if I try to remove it. Also, are the jacking points solid enough to take the weight of the car. My car is free of rot and rust but my experience of other cars from the 70s is the jacking points can deform when used to raise the car.

I'm just wondering if using it is a bad idea and whether I should carry a bottle jack instead.

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 536
Posted on Friday, 18 May, 2018 - 01:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff, never used one, but have seen one used and it appears very unsteady ! I keep a small trolley jack in the boot.
Mark

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1945
Posted on Friday, 18 May, 2018 - 02:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Mark. You've confirmed what I was thinking.

Alan Dibley
Prolific User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 140
Posted on Friday, 18 May, 2018 - 02:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My car (SBH10630) has metal pivoted covers on the jack-points. I used the jack several times when I first had the car - before the ramp was built - and it worked fine. It lifted the car quite steadily and allowed lots of work which wouldn't have been possible otherwise. Not used again since, but I would use it for a puncture if necessary. A bottle jack fitted to a jack-point would have to lift a LOOOONG way, or you would have to reach under the car (in the dark, in pouring rain, in your best suit, with traffic thundering past).

Alan D.

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 781
Posted on Friday, 18 May, 2018 - 06:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

They work fine and are very stable.
I only used mine twice, but I wouldn't hesitate about using it.

Here it is jacking the car in dirt.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1905
Posted on Friday, 18 May, 2018 - 07:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have used mine just for the fun of it.
My car also has body coloured hinged covers.

I found it to be the best jack I have ever used.
Very easy mechanical advantage to lift the whole side of a very heavy car.

It works a treat.

Just make sure the threads are not rusted & are lubed up ok. I just use WD40 on mine.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1946
Posted on Friday, 18 May, 2018 - 08:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've had this car for over 5 years now and have never thought to remove the rubber bung - which turned out to be a hinged plate. Don't know what I was thinking about.

Thanks for all your replies.

Mark Herbstreit
Prolific User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 178
Posted on Friday, 18 May, 2018 - 08:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Also remember to lock the front door lest you try to open it during a brain fade. Now you know what that small ding is in the bottom of the door. I have seen Clouds suffer the same fate only on the back door.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 969
Posted on Friday, 18 May, 2018 - 09:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have used my jack on a few occasion, no probems.

Richard.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: