'77 SWraithII Brakes Locked Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » '77 SWraithII Brakes Locked « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 803
Posted on Tuesday, 01 May, 2018 - 05:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am determined to get back on this project: my '77 SY-series locks the brakes when they develop pressure after starting the engine. This first happened about 1 year ago. I opened bleed ports at the calipers until I found one pressured up and I could hear the brakes relax as the pressure bled off. In examining the distribution valves I found the rubber valve stem boots rotten, and one of the valves (lower I believe) stuck "in" (or on) so I could understand it applying the brakes. Without thinking things through, I dismantled the lower valve and cleaned some corrosion off the valve stem. I probably damaged the valve bore by forcing the valve out through it without cleaning it first. Nevertheless I reassembled with new rubber boots.
I bought a set of replacement hoses intending to replace these, but first I would like to get mobile again. My most recent test involved merely starting the engine without touching the brake pedal, and the brakes (at least some of them) still pressured up. Rather than a flaking hose internal serving as a check, I suspect a distribution valve, so I propose this test: remove and block the pressure supply line to first, the lower, then the upper, distribution valve's pressure inlet port, then start the engine. If I locate the offender, I will procure a tested used valve from Flying Spares in the UK. Comments or advice welcome (as would be a field visit from Bill Coburn, Master Yoda Rolls-Royce Problem Solver, at this point).

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 2055
Posted on Tuesday, 01 May, 2018 - 05:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To isolate the pressure to each valve clamp or remove the hydraulic pump feed hoses.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 805
Posted on Friday, 01 June, 2018 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good idea; thank you!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: