Rear Brake Pads Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Rear Brake Pads « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Greene
Frequent User
Username: benzjag

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, 18 April, 2018 - 02:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Heard that the Jaguar XJ6 front brake pads will work on the rear of a Shadow II (with minor changes). I seem to remember they are slightly longer and one of the holes has to be enlarged? Can anyone confirm? I hate to pay an outrages amount for the RR pads just because! I can get the Jaguar pads for only $10.00!

THANKS!

Richard

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1933
Posted on Wednesday, 18 April, 2018 - 02:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard

I thought of doing the same and purchased a set of XJ6 pads. For me, they would have required too much modification so I decided to pay the extra and buy the RR pads.

It's very much a personal choice and down to what you feel comfortable with.

To get an idea of what is required, I have included the pics below which show the larger XJ6 pads against the ones I had just removed from my 74 Shadow.

pads1

pads2

h_kelly
Prolific User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 247
Posted on Wednesday, 18 April, 2018 - 05:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard this maybe of interest
https://brakeparts.co.uk/shop/Rolls%20Royce/Silver/65-/Silver%20Shadow,wraith,spur%20&%20Spirit/Rear%20-%20Brake%20Pads%20and%20Shoes

Richard Greene
Frequent User

Post Number: 87
Posted on Wednesday, 18 April, 2018 - 01:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

THANKS for the photos! I'm having second thoughts as well. That is not a minor modification!

Richard

PS Any special guidance in removing the rear pads? I have done Jaguar and Mercedes but not RR!

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1934
Posted on Wednesday, 18 April, 2018 - 02:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard

Changing the rear pads is as easy as on other cars - remove the clips, pull the pins and then remove the pads.

The workshop manual recommends you depressurize the hydraulic system before changing the pads, but only as a safeguard against someone pressing the brake pedal whilst the job is being carried out.

One thing to look out for is to make sure the new pads can move freely in the caliper. Clean all rust and crud and if not fitting new pins, make sure they are clean and clear of rust. The pads can jam against the rotor and cause excessive heating if they cannot slide freely in the caliper.

I guess you know all this anyway. I suspect, if anything, this is an easier job to carry out on a Rolls than a Mercedes or Jaguar.

Geoff

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 2052
Posted on Wednesday, 18 April, 2018 - 09:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If the car is not used for many miles the rear pads will seize and deteriate long before they even look worn.

Take them out every 24 months. You must be able to pull them out and push them back in with your fingers.

Leave out the anti rattle springs if doing very little mileage.

Original.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1849
Posted on Thursday, 19 April, 2018 - 05:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Tip, leave the system pressurised so the caliper piston can one at a time can be tested [under brake pedal application] and to be free on its return with the use of a tyre lever and pipe grips for the twist.
If piston does not return with ease the brake hose may be suspect.
Ten minute check while doing pad replacement.

Richard Greene
Frequent User

Post Number: 88
Posted on Friday, 27 April, 2018 - 01:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

FINALLY, found some reasonable priced rear brake pads. I fitted them yesterday and had no problems. There are two sources. I ordered mine from Classic Garage in the US. They are also available from UK on Ebay. Here's the contact info.

142658649066 EBay $75.00

http://classicgarage.com/rorosishcosi.html
$69.00.

Richard

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1851
Posted on Saturday, 28 April, 2018 - 08:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Every little helps, bought some of these for stock UK.
Maybe good value if the material is ok.

http://www.mevspares.co.uk/REAR-BRAKE-PADS-SET-Rolls-Royce-Silver-Shadow-1965-80.html?main_cat=1510&child=0

Alan Dibley
Prolific User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 136
Posted on Saturday, 28 April, 2018 - 06:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the link, Patrick. If the bits are good quality the prices are extraordinary. I've ordered some. too.

Alan D.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1853
Posted on Tuesday, 01 May, 2018 - 06:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan, pads material all ok, just love the anti squeal material on back of pad, no need for copper slip grease.
Will have to maybe clean the paint off pad slide areas.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 961
Posted on Tuesday, 01 May, 2018 - 07:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes Patrick a rub with the bench grinder works wonders.

Richard.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: