A roof rack for your Shadow Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » A roof rack for your Shadow « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 749
Posted on Tuesday, 17 April, 2018 - 09:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

How to make your very own RR roof rack

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 750
Posted on Tuesday, 17 April, 2018 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

First layout where things should go.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 751
Posted on Tuesday, 17 April, 2018 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

How close the front edge of the rack is to the front edge of the windscreen matters for wind noise. Basically the farther back the better. The height off the roof matters less for toad noise, but the rule of thumb there is there should be just enough room to get your hands under for fitting ropes.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 752
Posted on Tuesday, 17 April, 2018 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The roof rack I made from unistrut which has all sorts of standard brackets, locking lugs ,etc. The support blocks were made from mahogany for weather resistance.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 753
Posted on Tuesday, 17 April, 2018 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Looks like I parked the car on a level surface, pumped the car to ride height and used a level to get the rack's deck correctly fit.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 754
Posted on Tuesday, 17 April, 2018 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For secure mounting 4 rivnut / nutsert threaded inserts were mounted in the underside of the door window openings.

The underside for strength as well as weather resistance.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 755
Posted on Tuesday, 17 April, 2018 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Little stainless brackets were made up

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 756
Posted on Tuesday, 17 April, 2018 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Turnbuckles used to make the mountings, strong, adjustable and reversible.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 757
Posted on Tuesday, 17 April, 2018 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The brackets were countersunk and used with matching graded screws to avoid hitting the doors window frame when opening the doors.

Don't use cheap SS fasteners here as these machine screws work for a living.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 758
Posted on Tuesday, 17 April, 2018 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A view showing placement of supports.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 759
Posted on Tuesday, 17 April, 2018 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I used 9 pieces of mahogany decking bolted down to unistrut 3/8 inch anchors with eye bolts in the corner mounts and dock cleats on the middle outside edge to add a nautical touch.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 760
Posted on Tuesday, 17 April, 2018 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Timber and truck bumpers, a lot easier to transport with a proper roof rack.

Mark Luft
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 179
Posted on Wednesday, 18 April, 2018 - 04:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great job, Ross. AND a wonderful tutorial, too. Now, when I need a roof rack, I will have the know how to assemble a proper rack. Bravo.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1875
Posted on Wednesday, 18 April, 2018 - 08:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great stuff Ross.
That is one solid piece of kit mate.

P. Eng. Pierre Linh Raoul
Yet to post message
Username: thrasher

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, 21 May, 2018 - 09:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Looking superb...but would any modern rack fit if one isnít interested in the old school looks? Nor drilling holes in the gutter? I need something to transport my surfboards

Robert J. Sprauer
Experienced User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, 21 May, 2018 - 08:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Is there padding between the clip and roof rail to prevent wear to the paint finish?

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1526
Posted on Tuesday, 22 May, 2018 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No holes drilled on either car.........

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2897
Posted on Tuesday, 22 May, 2018 - 08:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar,

Interesting series of number plates - I presume this is numerical to designate the owner and alphabetical for each car owned.

The $64 question - what happens when the owner has more the 26 cars [local tycoons and royalty]?

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1537
Posted on Sunday, 27 May, 2018 - 04:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear David,
All our numbers are available for anyone to buy. I bought several numbers that are the same digits but different letters. When my cars are parked together they all have the same digits just different letters.
I don't have all the alphabet because I stopped buying them after I went into double digits. I don't normally have that many cars on the road at the same time so it was pointless buying any more.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2902
Posted on Sunday, 27 May, 2018 - 09:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

There is money on the table for any registration authority prepared to issue alphanumeric number plates similar to yours to an owner of multiple vehicles looking for something different - up to 26 cars could be registered under a common number.

Of course there is the opportunity for a price premium to be recovered by reserving the number for the owner's sole use and a matching plate with the next letter in the series is available for each subsequent vehicle purchase.

Here in NSW, it is theoretically possible to do this on a small scale by putting unneeded-at-the-time personalised plates on reserve but a whole series of consecutive plates would be a very difficult and expensive exercise assuming individual plates in the series haven't been issued already to other owners.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: