Silver shadow1 stood for 5 months Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Silver shadow1 stood for 5 months « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Martyn Grattage
Frequent User
Username: martyngrattage

Post Number: 68
Posted on Monday, 19 March, 2018 - 03:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi I still haven’t driven my girl once since I had her in October.

I am having a host installed on Wednesday so I can double up my parking and hopefully do a load of repairs.

What other locks are there, do I need to switch the ignition. To anything specific.

I have just been checking to see if I can push her on my own And I can’t move her one mm

She is definitely in neutral and two people are coming to install it she we have plenty of muscle.

Can anyone advise me of the best way to make sure she comes out easily.

Thanks
Martyn

Alan Dibley
Prolific User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 131
Posted on Monday, 19 March, 2018 - 07:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Martyn, how do you know the box is in neutral? It is only possible to remove the key with the box in "Park", so if the ignition key was removed the gearbox is locked. It should not be possible to remove the key with the gearbox in anything other than "Park". Can you see or hear the gearbox change-motor shuffling when the gear lever is moved with the ignition switched on + a good battery?

I assume you might not know this. It would explain why it it is tough to move.

Alan D.

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 236
Posted on Monday, 19 March, 2018 - 08:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes, as Alan says the gear box is controlled by an electric motor. This means the battery has to be connected as it does not matter WHERE the selector is, it is where the gearbox is that counts. When the key is removed from ign., the gearbox will automatically selector park WHATEVER the gear selector position is, so that even if car left in drive or reverse the car will move to park when key out as safety feature. Need to connect good batter, have ign. on (engine not running)and move lever to neutral.

Martyn Grattage
Frequent User
Username: martyngrattage

Post Number: 69
Posted on Monday, 19 March, 2018 - 09:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks very much

I knew it would have some fandangled RR technology

I will be doing to tomorrow

Is it anti theft do you know

Thanks Martyn

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 237
Posted on Monday, 19 March, 2018 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Martyn, No, there is not anti-theft on Shadow range, unless fitted retrospectively. Again as alan said, connect batt. put ign. on (do not start engine) leave drivers door open move gear selector through range, should hear selector clicking as it moves through on side of gearbox. Then leave in neutral/drive/reverse. as key is removed from ign. should hear gearbox motor move to select park.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 2030
Posted on Monday, 19 March, 2018 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

IMPORTANT:

Do not push a RRorB around unless the ground is really flat.

Unless the engine is running you will have somewhere between zero brakes and about 10% if you have an early car with a master cylinder.

Even the Parking Brake should not be relied upon.

3 people may sound like plenty of muscle but once 2.5 tonnes starts rolling down a slope . .. .

George Taylor
New User
Username: jocksrr

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, 21 March, 2018 - 09:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Trying to find life cycle of my 79 shadow11. From birth date in UK to now ,in Qld.Australia. how or where can i start ? Vin. SRH34458 .eng. no.34458 . It didn't come with any book or paper work... thanks in advance.

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 738
Posted on Wednesday, 21 March, 2018 - 09:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Martyn,

When moving big dead cars around I find it's best to put a block 15cm ahead of one wheel and one behind, then move in small increments.

I recently did a y turn with a 73 beetle with no engine and brakes with a come-along anchored to a lining bar driven into the ground. The ground was wet and up hill, but you have to work with what you have.

Take your time and make sure one of your friends is a rigger and the other a paramedic.

John G.
Frequent User
Username: john116

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, 21 March, 2018 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For original build sheets, you can try here:

https://www.rrec.org.uk/History/Construction_and_Test_Records.php

John

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: