Oil Change Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Oil Change « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

William H. Trovinger II
Prolific User
Username: bill_trovinger

Post Number: 210
Posted on Tuesday, 31 May, 2005 - 08:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

HELP!! I need help with my middle age Alzheimer’s. Was doing an oil and filter change today, Holiday. Had removed the filter (SRE23726 ’76 SS I) and laid all the parts in order. While I was out doing some other things my son decided to be helpful and clean the old parts. While doing so he put them into one big pile, so my order was lost. I thought that the parts went on the bolt in the following order:

1. Canister
2. Rubber washer
3. Metal washer
4. Spring
5. Filter element
6. Metal cone washer
7. Cork Cone
With the large washer fitting in the grove that the canister goes into.

I felt it was better to double-check the manual before going ahead. Now as I read the manual the order was different

1. Canister
2. Rubber washer
3. Metal washer
4. Spring
5. Metal cone washer
6. Cork cone
7. Filter element
With the large washer fitting in the grove that the canister goes into.

I put it together the latter way with a little oil in the canister. Tightened it down and poured my fresh oil in. When I looked under the car I have 2 plus gallons of oil on my floor and none in the Shadow’s sump! I rolled the car out of the way cleaned up the mess and took a shower. Now it is time for the barbie and a Glenlivet.

So my question is did I put it together wrong, which is the correct order? Or did I just not get it tighten down.

Thanks, in advance for the advice and also for NOT laughing too loud!

Best regards,
Bill

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 467
Posted on Tuesday, 31 May, 2005 - 03:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bill,

This is a good as I can get onto the forum - if you would like a larger hi-res version, I can email it to you direct.

filter assembly

The Milwaukee weather must be improving if you are in the car servicing mood

Kind regards David

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 430
Posted on Tuesday, 31 May, 2005 - 07:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David is quite correct although I thought I would improve the image with the attached. For interest the filter shown in David's sketch was used on the very early vee eights and was comprised of a punched metal coil over which was stitched a felt sock. It probably worked but eventually the Factory saw the light and let filter manufacturers design a decent paper version. One of my first experiences with the vee eight was a car that had done a couple of return trips to the moon. It had been owned by a priest who apparently depended on God to do the servicing. Regrettably this did not work since when I pulled one of these coil and sock elements out all that was left was the coil! Not long after the engine required a complete overhaul.

The bit you seem to be missing Bill is the Dowty washed which is thick metal with a 'rubber'lining that fits snugly around the central bolt outside the cannister.

Even so I doubt that this is the cause of your car's incontinence given the quantity on the floor. More likely you have not made sure that the cannister fitted back in the groove on the neoprene seal. I have done this and emptied a sump in seconds!

Oh and for serious oil leaks on the garage floor I find Tamdhu a better solvent. Glen Fiddich is better for electrical. And one of my best tricks is to drain a sump push the container to one side and then let the car down on it. Oxford University Press keep asking for details of the vocabulary I use on those occasions! In short 'we've all done it mate!!!'

\image

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 431
Posted on Tuesday, 31 May, 2005 - 07:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'll try again

showing Dowty seal inbolt outside casing

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 792
Posted on Tuesday, 31 May, 2005 - 09:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In the really stupidly dumb department, I have more than twice forgotten to refit the sump plug after letting the oil drain over a break...

Gordon Norris
Prolific User
Username: crewes_missile

Post Number: 186
Posted on Wednesday, 01 June, 2005 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,
Done that also, but I can go one better! On a 308 Ferrari which has an inverted oil filter on the top of the engine, I dutifully removed the old filter, drained the sump, went for a break, came back and refilled it, checked the level carefully, and then started the engine...looked into the rear view to see oil gushing out the rear deck vents above the engine...ummm forgot to put the new filter on...

Also have done a variant of Bill's trick...pushed the oil tray to one side, got up distractedly and then promptly stepped into it...the wife loved that one...

GN.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 468
Posted on Wednesday, 01 June, 2005 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am going to exercise my moderator's privileges and defy the ban on humour just one more time as this is in context with this topic:

Subject: Why NSW Branch has a Self-Help Group

Oil Change instructions for Women:

Any day of the week:
1) Pull up at service centre when mileage reaches 10,000 kilometres since the last oil change.
2) Have a cup of coffee.
3) 15 minutes later pay and leave with a properly serviced vehicle.

Money spent:
Oil Change and Filter: $60.00
Coffee/Cake: $ 5.00
Total: $65.00

************************************************************************************************************************

Oil Change instructions for Men:

Saturday:
1) Drive to auto parts store and buy a container of oil, oil filter, kitty litter and hand
cleaner.
2) Stop at bottle shop and buy a carton of beer before driving home.
3) Arrive home and open first beer for refreshment while planning work.
4) Spend 30 minutes looking for car stands.
5) Find car stands under kid's pedal car and jack car up.
6) In frustration, open fresh beer and ease tension.
7) Place drain pan under engine.
8) Look for spanner to fit sump drain plug.
9) Give up and use adjustable wrench instead.
10) Unscrew drain plug mutilating plug corners in process.
11) Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil. Splash hot oil on face and arms in process. Swear profusely.
12) Crawl out from under car to wipe hot oil off face and arms. Throw kitty litter on spilled oil.
13) Have another beer while watching oil drain.
14) Spend 30 minutes looking for oil filter wrench.
15) Give up; crawl under car and hammer a screwdriver through oil filter body and twist off.
16) Crawl out from under car with oil filter splashing oil everywhere from holes. Cleverly hide old oil
filter amongst rubbish in garbage bin to avoid contamination complaints from Council. Enjoy success with
a beer.
17) Mate shows up; finish carton of beer with him. Decide to finish oil change later so you can go and
see his new home theatre setup.

Sunday:
18) Skip planned family outing because "I have to finish the oil change."
19) Drag pan full of old oil out from underneath car. Cleverly dump oil in hole in back yard instead of
taking it to recycling centre.
20) Throw kitty litter on oil spilled during step 16.
21) Time for a beer. No, drank it all yesterday.
22) Walk to bottle shop; buy carton of beer.
23) Install new oil filter ensuring a thin coat of oil is applied to gasket surface.
24) Dump first litre of fresh oil into engine.
25) Remember drain plug from step 11.
26) Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan.
27) Remember that the used oil is buried in a hole in the back yard along with drain plug.
28) Ease disappointment with beer.
29) Shovel out hole and sift oily mud for drain plug. Find plug and dig-over oily patch of ground to hide
contamination. Wash drain plug in petrol intended for lawnmower.
30) Discover that first litre of fresh oil is now on the floor. Throw more kitty litter on oil spill.
31) Drink another beer to reduce stress levels.
32) Crawl under car getting kitty litter into eyes. Wipe eyes with oily rag used to clean drain plug. Misalign
adjustable wrench whilst doing up drain plug and bang knuckles on sump when it slips.
33) Bang head on car body in reaction to step 32.
34) Begin prolonged swearing fit.
35) Throw away stupid adjustable wrench to ease frustration.
36) Swear for additional 10 minutes because wrench hits favourite garage wall pin-up poster damaging it
beyond repair.
37) Soothe shattered nerves with a cold beer.
38) Use hand cleaner on hands and forehead to remove dirt and oil before bandaging as required to stop bleeding.
39) Seek pain relief with a beer.
40) Stronger pain relief required so consume another beer.
41) Fill sump with oil and check for leaks.
42) Celebrate impending completion of job with a beer.
43) Lift car to remove car stands and lower to ground.
44) Car accidentally crushes oil container left under car and spills remaining oil on floor.
45) Move car back to apply more kitty litter to spilt oil.
46) Enjoy beer while kitty litter does its job soaking up oil.
47) Take car for test drive.
48) Get pulled over by Highway Patrol Car, Officer refuses to accept explanation that regular movement
of car from one side of the road to the other was a factory recommended test for oil surge and Officer
extends invitation to visit local Police Station to stay overnight so Magistrate can hear explanation next
morning.
49) Magistrate is as fixated as Police Officer and refuses to believe diagnostic procedure explanation.
50) Call loving wife to arrange payment of fine and court costs before returning to pick up car.
51) Find car on side of road with wheels missing and battery stolen.

Money spent:
Parts $ 45.00
Fine and Court Costs: $2500.00
New wheels and tyres: $2800.00
New Battery: $ 125.00
Beer: $ 90.00
Total: $5560.00

But at least you know the job was done properly!

Enough said

William H. Trovinger II
Prolific User

Post Number: 212
Posted on Wednesday, 01 June, 2005 - 02:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gentlemen;

Thank you one and all for the cheering up! I guess I am in esteemed company on this one! This was, almost better therapy than the Glenlivet.

Kindest regards,
Bill

PS David yours sounds like a MasterCard commercial I was just waiting for the cost Priceless at the end!

William H. Trovinger II
Prolific User

Post Number: 214
Posted on Tuesday, 07 June, 2005 - 02:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This past weekend I did get back to the car. It turned out that I had not tightened the bolt enough. Mine has a hole drilled through the head of the bolt that a wire runs through, the wire is then attached to the dipstick tube. I am certain the wire is to make sure the bolt is not lost but it does make work a real pain.

Thanks, again
Bill

Phil Black
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 210.50.38.28
Posted on Sunday, 19 June, 2005 - 04:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think I read somewhere maybe here where somebody always cut open their old oil filiter to check on the inside of the metal can wall for any trouble with dirt not caught even though my mechanic said I would never ever see anything that way because any stuff you can see with your own eyes will be trapped deep inside the packing material they put inside the filter for that job. But I want to do it anyway just to be sure but if I drill a hole to get my tinsnips in or get a hacksaw to make a proper neat cut around it I worry that will make filings and peices that might mix into the old oil and I wont know which bits were in there before I did it. Whats the best way to open it out and how do I see any problems if the damaging peices are really then trapped right in the filters own oily material thats put inside?

(Message approved by david_gore)

Phil Black
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 210.50.113.8
Posted on Wednesday, 22 June, 2005 - 07:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Moderator's Comment

This post has been placed in suspense pending contact between the Moderator and the contributor.

Would Phil Black please email his relevant contact details to:

rrforumaust@yahoo.com.au
}

(Message edited by david_gore on June 23, 2005)

(Message approved by david_gore)